finally started 90g stand

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
Ok heres an update..I have it stained for the most part..it is cool and extremely windy outside but I managed to get it done..I have to go and get a small can of stain to finish some of it..and buy the polyurethane sealer..Hopefully tonight it will be assembled and completed.

I have learned quite a bit doing this project and since this was my first time building a piece of "furniture" there are some imperfections but for the most part they are minor aesthetic mistakes like using different nails to mount the front panel since stain IS NOT paint and doesnt cover metal very well..LOL...also trying to cut a perfectly straight line for 50 inches with a scroll saw is a PITA.

Last edited:

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
Here it is stained reassembled and 99% completed.

They only things left are to coat it with polyurethane..and then maybe add a shelf but right now i am going to go without a shelf.

the last pic shows the true color the best..remember these are pics from my cell phone so they arent the best.

I used minwax Cherry 235 stain.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
thanks mistercoffee...I want out today and just looked at how some of the commercial stands are built...NO THANKS..The framing is 1/2" x3" planks with no bracing... sorry but I dont want 1000lbs plus sitting on that..and these were the nice ones..$400 a piece...mine cost about 80 total and IMO is much stronger.

Kalavek

Large Fish
Aug 2, 2008
Vancouver BC
Your opinion has little to do with it - your stand should not have any problems.

Here's a point of reference for you - if those 2x4's are Pine, they will support at least 1000psi dry - the actual number is probably higher. A 2x4 has roughly 5 square inches on an end, and you have six legs.

So assuming the lumber is free of knots and serious defects, and you have a solid top-down design (which I'm pretty sure you do, unless you put feet on it), then in theory those legs should be able to support upwards of... uhm... 30,000 lbs. (I'm also only factoring in the six legs that are pinched between the top and bottom frames)

Mind you, this is based on compression strength charts, a pile of assumed numbers, good lumber, and a random stab at what type of wood you purchased. But I think the point is clear that a hundred gallons isn't going to be a problem on your stand. Like I said earlier - a car or two.