depthC's New 10 Gallon Journal

bigfoot150

Superstar Fish
Dec 17, 2003
Alameda, Ca
Visit site
Just so you know..... crypts usually melt when there is an quick change in water conditions, generally PH or temp. This could be why your kribs expired. Generally, kribs are very very hardy fish. Never had one just pass away for no reason. But anyways, just something to keep in mind.

depthC

Superstar Fish
Feb 24, 2003
WI
There was no big temp or pH change im sure of that. The female passed away a week or two after the crypts melted away so i see no connection at all.

The female showed signs of a problem a day or so prior to her death. She was gulping or extending her jaw non stop for a time while the male was showing no signs of stress or anything. I didnt have a clue what the problem was and just left things be and just waited to see how things played out.

So back on topic. Thanks for the comments.

.depthc

depthC

Superstar Fish
Feb 24, 2003
WI
Added fish and some dwarf hairgrass. I also did a big prune and ive got a lot growth suprisingly. So now ive got the plants were i want them im going to let things grow in from here and hopefully that will go well.

.depthc

Do you use co2 on that tank? I searched real quick and didnt see it.

You may have trouble with the parvulus. It tends to need co2 as well as fairly high light to grow. Let me know if it works out.

Also, because it is almost always sold in emerse form, many people suggest trimming it down to 1/4" or so to stimulate new growth and prevent the old leaves from decaying and collecting detritus and algae in them.

depthC

Superstar Fish
Feb 24, 2003
WI
Yeah i run CO2 but cut it off a day prior to raise the pH back up to add the fish which are already acclimated to my local water. So yeah i got CO2 going ill start it up tomorrow.

Parvulus is the hair grass right? In the past ive had it decay away but that was in a totally different setup. I was also pondering the thought of trimming it so maybe ill do that to a few portions to experiment the differences between the two.

Thanks for the comments and tips.

.depthc

depthC

Superstar Fish
Feb 24, 2003
WI
Well here is a update on this tank, its been a month or two i dont really know since i updated.

As of now its got 11 ember tetras in the tank and thats it excluding the many snails. This tank was literally a jungle until i pruned it. The water wisteria on the right still is quiet dense but i thinned out the rest of the plants. So any comments would be appreciated.

.depthc

depthC

Superstar Fish
Feb 24, 2003
WI
Thanks for the comments everyone. I suppose it would look better with some rocks or driftwood but i have yet to find a nice small piece that will blend and work well in this tank. Also i may have to order or get lucky and find some better suitable plants for this tank. The only plant so far that seems to work well is the hairgrass and the crypts but they have melted once or twice and havent been putting out nice growth in a while. Other than that the wiseteria, cabomba, and hydrocotyle all dont seem to work very well in this tank. They grow nicely and thats why they are still in the tank but they dont work very well in my attempts to aquascape the tank. So again thanks for the comments and ill keep updating this tank as things change a bit and hopefully soon there will be some nice driftwood to add that bit of contrast.

.depthc