2x13 watt AH Supply Kit
10 Pounds of Shultz Aquatic Plant Soil

Plants:
Rotala Indica
Ludwig Repens
Bacopa
Green Wendtii
Java Moss

So this tank is brand spankin' new and i really plan on making this tank a nice, dense planted tank. Every other planted tank ive indulged in never turned out great so this tank is really really going to be my strive for greatness with real plants. Ive got good lighting and a good substrate so there really is no reason why this tank cant become something nice. Well anyways here is the tank on todays current date (Jan. 25, 2004). The tank was just planted and im just starting the cycle so we will see how things turn out. So here is the picture, its still a little cloudy but that should clear soon.
Comments and suggestions are appreciated.;)

- depthC

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Looks like youve got a very good base started out there. Give it a little while and it should be a smokin' tank!

Are you going to let the java moss act as a foreground plant or do you have something else or nothing in mind?

depthC

Superstar Fish
Feb 24, 2003
WI
ash - i really have no clue whats to be put in this tank but in the spring im thinking of ordering some pygmy corys for this tank. Thats all i have plans for now, maybe some more endlers or ember tetras?

somonas - yep pretty much like a tank blog if youd call it that. this method is used at plantedtank.net a lot in their forums i just liked it so used it here.

taffy - yep ill be adding C02 at one point in time, probably in a week or so depending on the growth w/ out it.

orion - the java moss is attached to a rock and i dont have plans of it being a foreground plant. dunno, i just planted it there since it was doing no good in the 2 g tank i had it in. If it does well in this tank i think ill attach some to a piece of driftwood and make it look a little more attractive.

On a tank note things havent changed much at all but i am seeing some nice growth from the rotala indica and the ludwig is starting to sprout out some more. Its still way to early to tell if anything is turning out great but its starting to look like it (crosses fingers).

- depthC

Last edited:

depthC

Superstar Fish
Feb 24, 2003
WI
Well its been a few days and some of the plants are starting to decay. I added a jungle val and some more crypt but nothing has changed much. The ludwig and rotala have started to decay on the bottoms and so the tank isnt looking that grand anymore.

So just today i added C02 and 1 ml of flourish and flourish iron. So hopefully the addition of C02 will make a difference.

I would post a pic but its not much different since day 1 so when things start to improve ill post a pic. So yeah thats a little update on the tank.

- depthC

HanshaSuro

Large Fish
Jun 21, 2003
Eastern MA
furtakconsulting.com
Originally posted by depthC
The ludwig and rotala have started to decay on the bottoms and so the tank isnt looking that grand anymore.
Depth,

I don't believe what you're experiencing there is not all that abnormal. I have the same ludwigia in my tank and it did the same thing when I got it home from the store. The bottom half of the leaves dropped off over the next few days, but the plant itself continued to grow. What I think you'll find is that those stalks are still healthy and you will eventually get side shoots growing from the lower portions where you lost the leaves. At least, that has been my experience. :)

Last edited:

depthC

Superstar Fish
Feb 24, 2003
WI
Well i guess i could update on this tank. As you can see things have gone downhill and i dont know were im going with this tank. But soon enough i hope things start to grow in healthy and outcompete the algae. I just plan on leaving everything in hopes that the plants will establish themselves and take over the tank.

.dc

depthC

Superstar Fish
Feb 24, 2003
WI
Alright well its been almost a month since ive updated this tank but things have been going a lot better. The tank has finally balanced out and most algae is at a minimal. Ive added a few more plants like, water wisteria, water sprite, and cambomba. So these must be helping take up the nutrients and balance things out, thats why i picked water sprite and wisteria.

Also ive added 2 fairly sized angels to the tank. I put them in this tank to treat their nipped fins and now that theyve grow they might need to get moved to my 45 real soon. Well heres the tank, please comment on the aquascape although its not that great im still looking for a piece of driftwood or rocks to pull everything together, but until then if the plants are growing im happy.

.dc

Lookin' better:) I'm sure that addition of plants is what (at least partially) helped combat the algae.

I might cut the anachris and wisteria in half and replant the tops. That way, the rooted bottoms will send out lateral shoots and make more babies:)

When you start getting more stems, my suggestion is to plant each species in a very dense clump - to form a bush and then replant the tops, adding around the base of the bush. It'll give each plant a distinct look:)

depthC

Superstar Fish
Feb 24, 2003
WI
Yeah i could try that, but ive always had bad experience with bunch plants. The bottoms seem to always die off. Thats rotala not anarchis, but maybe i should pick some anarchis up. I saw your post about them and they look nice. Ive always avoided them since they always look like crap in the petstore but ill give em a try next time im plant shopping. Do they grow fast and take up lots of nutrients like water sprite and wisteria?

.dc