depthC's New 10 Gallon Journal

Well. To give you an idea - I planted six pieces about 4" long. One and a half days after I planted it, I cut each peice into three segments - still 4" long. I started with 24" total, and ended up with about 60" I'm not sure if this is even normal lol...they were awfully happy to be out of that crappy LFS tank. But yes, they are INCREDIBLY fast growers.

I dont know the truth of this , but some guy told me that it was illegal in NH (oops hehe) because it is somehow related to milfoil

Sure looked like anachris to me hehe:p

AndyL

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Calgary AB
There's a lot plants now in petstores that have been deemed a 'nuisance' species - and are illegal. Hygro Polysperma, some milfoils I heard riccia was considered a nuisance too...

Problem is they somehow end up in the water ways - and choke out the native plants... Pisses off the eco-nazis who then lobby to have the plant banned - and since your legislators probably aren't plant freaks - they get banned.

Andy

depthC

Superstar Fish
Feb 24, 2003
WI
Ha, nope its a 10 gallon tank. And i also think the crypt is a nice plant hansha. The ones in the tank are not very big yet but they came from tiny runners so they are doing well. Overall its a nice looking plant and it will look a lot better once it reestablshes itself and has time to grow in. I just moved most of the plants because i had the wisteria and water sprite in the foreground. They help a lot for nutrient uptake thus i have very little algea now.

As for the anarchis, i went to the store yesterday and saw a huge bunch but i decided not to buy it since there was no body in the damn section to help me out. I was at a local shop that is actually a different business in the back of a pet supply store and its a nice store. The 2 rooms have tanks up the ceiling and a good selection just not much going on wednsday so i passed up the plants. But ive got time ill buy some more plants later.

So thanks for the comments and once something changes and the tank is worth an update ill post another update.

.dc

depthC

Superstar Fish
Feb 24, 2003
WI
Here is an updated picture of the tank :

Ive recently replanted the tank. And now the plant matter consists of :
Green Crypt
Water Sprite
Anarchis
Water Wisteria
Cambomba ...
H. Verticilia (i believe)

And I also have a pair of Kribs in the tank now.

So lately this tank was cut off from C02 just to see how it did w/ out it. Well BGA took over and so did some nasty thread algae. So i redid the tank yesterday and started injecting C02 once again. So now i will compare and see if the C02 helps and if so it stays indefinately.

As for the foreground, its looking pretty bare. If i can find any hair grass locally ill give that plant a try. And then hopefully the background will fill in with the anarchis and cambomba as i plan to remove the water sprite and wisteria once things are on their feet.

As always comments are definately welcome.

.depthc

depthC

Superstar Fish
Feb 24, 2003
WI
Just Seachem Nitrogen to get my N03 levels up. But the plants are turning a tint yellow so im assuming their is a deficiency so ill have to get into some nutrient tweaking soon.

.depthc

bigfoot150

Superstar Fish
Dec 17, 2003
Alameda, Ca
Visit site
Checkout gregwatson.com. This guy makes ferts by the PMDD recipe. The PMDD premix has everything your plants need. When I started adding it to my 10gallon everything started pearling after a a couple of hours. It never did that when I added flourish.

depthC

Superstar Fish
Feb 24, 2003
WI
Slo-dean - i took that val out and put it in my 45. And then i decided just to throw it again since it was covered in some nasty, hard to get off algae. I keep my lights on for 10 hours each day.

On APC (Aquatic Plant Central) it was recommended that i dose 1mL of Flourish 4 times a week so i plan on starting that up next week after a w/c and a new batch of C02. So from their i will figure out if the flourish is good or if i should order some specific nutrients to suit my plants needs. So thank you all for the advice and ill be sure to update the progress along the way.

.depthc

depthC

Superstar Fish
Feb 24, 2003
WI
Alright well things have been looking a ton better in the tank. Ive started to add 1 mL of N03 and iron every week after a w/c and C02 replacement. And the plants are actually growing.

The pair of kribs that were in the tank are no longer. The female passed away w/ no apparent reason she didnt have any external fungus or parasites. But she passed away so i moved the male to the 45 and he soon after that passed away.

So $16 gone, but more importantly i didnt get to experience this fishes breed behavior or for that matter much of the fishes behavior at all. But maybe some time in the future ill get another pair and maybe have a quarentine tank up for treatment of internal parasites and such to be sure they stay around for a while.

Anyways, back to the tank, things have been growing nicely as ive said before. The first week i added Fe most of my cypt leaves melted and now they are in recovery. But my Limnophila, Hydrocallia, anarchis, and wisteria seem to be growing very nicely. I just pruned the wisteria and anarchis and left the hydrocallia(i know, the scientific names are spelt wrong ... i think) to keep growing. So overall plant growth is possible and im pretty happy that ive got some plants that are actually growing.

K here is an updated picture. Its a bit cloudy so the picture isnt very clear at all but you can see the plant growth.

.depthc

Last edited: