Breeding Angels

Aug 13, 2010
Sicklerville, NJ
So I am trying my hand at breeding Angels. I have a 55 with 3 Angels some Oto's, cories and a clown plec. The temp is up to 82 and I feed frozen blood warms, beef heart and some flake food. I have two pieces of slate from Angels Plus (Doing the "UPS dropped a package off for me" dance) *BOUNCINGS
So my questions I guess are:

What angle should I have the slate at?

Besides playing Barry White, anything else I can do to help them along?

Thanks

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Hey - congrats, fun times lay ahead for you. I loved my angel pairs.
So, have any of these angels bred before? Any idea of their genders?
Honestly, I wouldn't worry about the angle of the slate - once you've got a breeding pair of angels, they'll make do with the side of the tank, a plant leaf, the magnet glass scrubber, whatev . . . or at least mine did ;)
To increase your odds, skip the Barry White, and add more angels! Chances are better then someone in there will like someone else . . . .

Aug 13, 2010
Sicklerville, NJ
The Sunset and Black are always hanging out together and "shoo" away the marble. They have never spawned before and I don't even know if they are male and female! LOL I want to put a few more in, but these two are large and seem to bully the smaller angels.

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Well now that I am home, maybe they are 2 inches.....Typical man, thinking things are biggerthen they really are!
LOL.
Mine paired off (I had four angels, and they turned into two breeding pairs, total fluke!!!) and started breeding regularly by the time they were 1.5" (the body only). Put the slate in there, maybe change the decor around a bit. Keep the temp high, feed them the goodies, and maybe they'll get romantic. Problem is, you don't even know if they're a male/female pair . . .. Even Barry White 24/7 won't help if they're not ;)

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
It's really hard to force pairs. I forgot that you only had a trio when I PMed you. Once they start to breed they will do it like crazy, but if they are say palm sized (including fins) and they haven't made babies yet.... you don't have a pair :(

Try adding more angels. I know we have went roundy round about how many you can keep in your tank but I would venture to say if you got to 5 you would have babies in no time. Maybe even add 1 more of each color variety you have and take it up to a total of
six

May need to spring for a couple extra bucks to buy bigger angels.

Aug 13, 2010
Sicklerville, NJ
I never got your PM :( I thought you just dissed me!

They are about 2 inches, but I have had them for about 3 years (The two I think may pair up) I would have to get bigger ones, because I have had smaller ones and they get picked on. Maybe this weekend I will get 2 more.....I do 50% water change weekly and am grossly over filtered with a AQ 70 (your fav and a Marineland 350 so even if I am overstocked a tad I feel comfortable with that set up.

What did your PM say?

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
it said you need about 3 more fish and warm water, try going to 30% bi weekly changes. You didn't really need the slate anything flat will do, I like slate from home depot OR the trays from terracotta pots.

Angels can be finicky about water conditions.

BTW 2 years old and 2", please tell our "friend" that they are not salad plate sized lol ;)

Honestly they are south americans and thus very frisky in the love making department, I would say if they haven't made babies you didn't get anyone to pair.

I have egg layers that lay with out a pair in hopes that someone else will fertilize (my red and green jewel are both F, they lay eggs in my African tank all the time, even though the only males in the tank are mouth brooders (african lake fish))

I would suggest that you run out and buy some craft netting, that way when you get a clutch of eggs you can pen off the parents and you won't have murders.

6 angels in total with your stock is not even close to over stocked IMHO

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
They are going to get real mean once you have eggs... Be prepared for a single pair to take over more then 1/2 of the tank, the net or a back up tank would be your best bet.

If you can get a deal on a 30G and do a bare bottom set up for your fry that would be ideal.

BTW I got pleco pics up the other day, did you see them? I remember trying to send them to you in a PM but couldn't make it work

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
here sorry for the hijack

First fish is Blue Phantom, second photos is green phantom and gold nugget third is my royal pleco fourth is a wide shot of the tank after a rearrange the other day.

Sorry my phone sucks for photos, and even though there aren't tons of bubbles going they were distracting the auto focus on my camera.

The other guys were being camera shy... lol will try to snag some night shots by flashlight tonight maybe. :)

BTW like my green thumb? I grew those fake plants myself ;)

Attachments

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
nope, they just sit there like that, I just spent some time stacking them till they felt sturdy.

it's a pia if you need to reach into that formation to grab something tho... other then that the stack is problem free I used to have plants wedged into it as well but i found it sort of obscured some of my plecos

oh and i don't have a new PM should I?

You find the angles yet? I wouldn't buy a pair anyway you don't know if you are dealing with siblings etc.

Last edited: