8 Gallon Nano Journal

Helena21

Superstar Fish
Oct 7, 2005
Essex, England
Thanks Mushroomman, the tentacles are definatly not thick compared to the pics on the internet, and not translucent. The tentacles are more opaque, so i think these arent aiptasia. Phewww! :p

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536

Helena21

Superstar Fish
Oct 7, 2005
Essex, England
OK thanks Bungle, im sure it isnt aiptasia now.
There is brown algae EVERYWHERE!
AND....cycle is finish now! yay *twirlysmi
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 10-15
pH: 8.2
i will be getting the clean up crew next time i go to the better LFS, which hopefully will be soonish.

i have a question too:
When I do top-offs do i just gently pour in de-chlorinated freshwater? Im guessing no, but thats what i have been doing lately.

Please give me some advice on this :)

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
For top offs, I just get some RO/DI water in a container and dump it right into the sump. The water is usually at room temperature which is much lower then the tank temp. I just dump it in. Have been doing that from the 1st day with out any ill effects.

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
i do the same as panther...
but do u have to dechlor RO water? :p

RO/DI water is 99.9% free of chemicals and stuff (I think!) so basically you do not have to dechlor the water. But if you are using tap water then in some area's you have to dechlor the water. For example if you don't dechlor the tap water where i live your fish will die with in 1 - 2 hours.:D

jessey

Large Fish
Dec 25, 2006
Tampa, FL
just be careful with the tap water. some people's seems to be find and that's awesome... but tap water definitely seemed to be water was screwing me up (killing my snails!!). of course our water is known for being notoriously... bad. ;)

Helena21

Superstar Fish
Oct 7, 2005
Essex, England
just thought i would update with pics.
The whole of the top layer of sand was completly covered in brown algae so i gave it a whirl to make white again. As you can see the rocks are covered in algae too and the was algae all over the walls but i cleaned most of it off, just leaving the back wall basically covered with a few patches where i have removed the old powerhead.
Oh yeah and i got a new powerhead that is much better than the last :)..

just to show all the algae..(it looks like theres more in real life)