125g saltwater startup

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
We currently have VHO lighting on there. We had a setup over one of the planted tanks that we had bought at an auction for about $20. We got some SW bulbs, and that's our current setup. The LPS and softies seem to be doing really well with the lighting.

We will be getting a Solaris system in a few months. Our electricity bills are insane. Last month was more than $800, so metal halides aren't an option. Sure, it's 110F every day here in the summer, but still... So, we're going for Solaris, and hoping the electricity costs will pay for the unit over 5 years.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
they have a tank with one on it at the big al's right down the street from my house and i have to say im not all that impressed.... it was very blue but i guess they have a few differant types

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I figure the cost will be OK over time. A T-5 fixture was the other option, but even that will run around $600, plus changing bulbs at least once a year (@$200 a year = $1000 for 5 years). The Solaris bulbs are good for around 5 years.

There are many reasons we waited to get a saltwater tank, and one of them was having enough money to buy the stuff we wanted. While no job is secure these days, at least there's money coming in for now. We've done many DIY type fixtures and other cost-saving things on freshwater, and most of the time, they're not the best solution.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Some new pics:
Full tank shot:

Some stuff:

Banggai mother-to-be:

I love these blue mushrooms, even though the color doesn't come out well on the pic:

Update stuff: We lost both the flasher wrasses. One jumped out while we were doing maintenance, the other died due to a tripped circuit. We now have a UPS to run the powerheads, should the power go out again. We added a chiller a while back, too. It is keeping the tank temps nice and stable. We've been adding quite a few corals, as you can see. We're looking for some more flasher wrasses to replace the ones we lost. Our banggai male is (hopefully) going to drop some fry this week.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
You have quite the cardinal collection going on there...

Too bad about the wrasses. Mine jumped a while ago and I haven't been able to replace him yet. Jumping is the only problem with them.

The tank altogether looks very nice. What is the bright purple/indigo thing peeking in the first two pictures (looks like some type of fish maybe?)?

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Lotus it is coming along really well. My male bangaii drops fry about every month or so....right now he doesn't seem to be holding so hopefully he is fattening up some. They don't eat while holding and constant spawning is hard on the males.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Thanks Lorna :) I've been trying to feed him up when he's not holding, with a much nutrition as I can. I think there are only about 5 days between when they drop and when they start holding again. I found mine really like bloodworms, but I also try to give them Selcon-soaked mysis and some other seafoods like grated shrimp, squid, etc. I feel so sorry for him when he's holding and he can't eat.