125g saltwater startup

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
After cleaning the tank and refinishing the stand, it was set up.

Here's the empty tank:

After looking at the sump that came with the tank, we decided it would be easier to buy a sump/refugium than modify what we had. Here's the sump and skimmer:

We discovered the new sump was too big to go through the door of the tank, so we had to take the back brace of the stand off to fit it in, but it did fit. Here's the tank filled with freshwater to check the plumbing.

There was a small leak from the overflow, so we drained the tank, fixed the leak, and refilled with freshwater.

Then, the live rock came in (ordered from the LFS). We got three boxes of Fiji Premium rock, 45lbs each (approx.). Here's part of the tank with the live rock and saltwater:

Testing so far for ammonia (still at zero) and pH, around 8.1.

I will try to post a pic of the whole tank later. My photo skills generally suck, and the pics I took yesterday were too blurry.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Yes, the back brace went back on :D

We'll put sand or aragonite or something in when the rock is cured. The refugium will probably have some mud and plants/macroalgaes.

We still have quite a few details to decide on. We plan to make it a reef eventually.

I'm not really sure on what fish we'll have. The only things for sure so far are some gobies and banggai cardinals -- we really want those, so the tank will be stocked based on compatibility with them. Any suggestions are welcome.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Well the gobies and bangaiis are pretty docile (though my cardinals get pretty rambuncious at feeding time) What about some anthis? or some flasher/fairy wrasses? and a couple of large show fish like foxface or butterfly and and angel?

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
I think a nice shoal of anthias would look great in there, I the lyretail to be far easier than people claim, but that is just my opinion, take it with a grain of salt. A large angel would look great too, lots of options. everything is looking good so far.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
It looks great. I would be worried about the rock tumbling but I am sure that once you get it where you want it you will secure it. I like the two island set up. Bram agrees about the anthias.......just what I was saying.....very nice.....either that or some flasher wrasses together with the anthias as they will school together...... I prefer the angel over tangs...

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I am considering lyretail anthias, MushroomMan recommended them, too. I haven't really told ecotank yet, though ;) Still in the early stages of coming up with a stocking plan. I'm guessing at least 4 weeks before a cleanup crew, maybe longer, then a while longer before fish. That leaves us somewhere in February for fish :)

I'm thinking about making the pile on the right shorter and longer, to give some interest to the tank. I think they're both pretty secure in terms of stacking, but we have some time to play with rock placement while it's cycling. I personally like to look at an aquascape for a few days and think about how to make it better, then try it out.

Ammonia was at zero yesterday, and I haven't tested yet today. Our test kit is really old, and I'm not sure it's working. We'll probably pick up a new kit this weekend.

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
It's looking good so far Lotus! Those anthias are really beautiful fish and would look great in there if you decide to go with them. Can't wait to follow your progress :)