10 gallon nano reef journal (pics)

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
Week with light and I got some diatoms... figured I'd get them... TOmorrow is another W/C and some more hermits and snails... I'll prob just give in and get turbos...

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
yeah that's what I figured.. i lost him tho... disappeared..... I did make a top out of that egg crate stuff... I'll post pics soon... It fits like a glove and looks cool along with practical.

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
Just got two frags of xenia from my buddy... for free!!!! They keep opening and closing during acclimation with the lights off. Hopefully they open nicely tomorrow and I can stare at them for hours. Pictures soon.

Also cut some of that egg crate so I remove an area to test the water, feed when I get fish and even reach in pretty well.

Also got 3 turbos last week that have helped with the diatoms on the glass and rock. My mag float had gotten the rest of the glass that they missed.

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
Yup. I plan on getting a fish sometime this week.... Probably Wednesday or Thursday. The problem is that I'm still not sure on what to get. Although clowns are very common they are still fun to watch and active so I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get just a pair of false percs.

Then it's still in the air. I want a type of goby but I hear most of them are semi-difficult cause their feeding habits on coepods and I don't see any in my tank like I do in my friends. IF I do I'll get a yellow watchman goby cause they seem easier or a fire fish (purple or regular, not sure) cause they seem to be easier to get eating and such.

Then I possibly want a fourth fish. Maybe a cardinal or a six line. I think cardinals are kinda boring though and six line wrasses may be too difficult. I'll probably wait on the fourth until I find something I can't live without.

Another complete option is to go down to the store and pick up their SAILFIN/ROGUE SCORPION FISH!!!!

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
I went out and got two false percs today.... About an inch and a half in length, maybe a bit more. One is just a few millimeters larger but easily noticeable. They came from separate tanks so my tank was the first time they were together as I know of. The larger showed very little aggression at first but now they seem happy and stick near each other.

Now for the HUGE news. I think the smaller of the two is already interested in my xenia. He hangs by it quite often and even rubs up in it. The xenia isn't thrilled about something rubbing on it but it'll get over it. The clown still likes to explore with the other since they have only been in there for just over an hour. One bad thing is that he or she has noticeably tried biting the xenia... curiousity? who knows.... maybe I have the only non-reef safe clown fish.

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
Yeah I think so.... The larger one did eat some flake that fell her way but they are used to eating mysis and I guess not used to going to the surface yet. I think I need to remove my magfloat cause they were on it tonight when the lights when out and I don't want them hosting on it....

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
so the little one still isn't eating and I tried blood worms at about noon. They were fed mysis at the shop so i'll try that soon...

I'm a little worried about him though cause he seems to have some labored breathing... (mouth is open quite often) I'm going to keep an eye on it and try to figure it out.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Have you checked your ammonia? Occasionally, you'll get a small spike when you add fish.

Clowns are pretty tough. I hope s/he makes it. In general, saltwater fish take longer to start eating than freshwater fish. The labored breathing has me a little worried, though.

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
I thought my snails poop more than these guys. Ill check my levels today.

Yeah me too.... His poo seems a little stringy/white as well... could be worms? who knows... I am hoping it's just stress of a new tank and larger clown...although the larger of the two looked better initially from the store and was more active in the bag during the drip acclimation. The larger one also eats very easily... smaller one didn't care about a bloodworm 1 centimeter in front of his mouth.

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC

the smaller clown always has his mouth open cause hes breathing kind of hard... you can tell in these pictures...

Also I found at least two small feather dusters that have hitchhiked... hard to get pictures now sine they are sooo small.

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
woke up to the little guy laying breathing hard on his side hiding all the way in the back... I'm gonna bring him back to the store and get another. even if he wont refund him, maybe he can bring him back to life. Waste of 15 bucks but o well

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
15 dollar lesson.. if the fish is hiding behind the filter and breathing hard... its sick... if the store owner puts his hand in the tank and the fish swim down to the bottom corner... they are still sick.

I got a replacement clown. It's bigger but it was the second and only other clown in the tank with the original clown I got that is still very healthy.

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
Replacement clown looks like there might be some fungus (great)... so Im treating with a cocktail of mela and primaflix... xenia wasn't too happy about it but I hear they will get over it once the meds run their course.

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
For the next few days I can get purple firefish for only 16 bucks.... too soon to add a new fish? haha

At work they sent them to us as regular firefish and we sell them for about $50 usually. But the inventory has them marked a just regular firefish...so passing this up may be stupid since i may want one....

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
Purple firefish are great! They are normally expensive.. I picked up 1 a week ago for 11.00!! It was 22 but I had credit.. I was checking out a websit and found true percs for 15.00 each!! I will be getting a pair soon.. Everywhere around here they are 50 each.. Tanks lookin good btw