Sep 2, 2008
DC
NH3=0
NO2=5+
NO3=15?
pH=~8.0
Salinity=1.023
Alkalinity= Normal

Nitrate dropped a lot for some reason... I did add sand from a friends tank, and today I just added a good heavy piece of rock... It's pretty dense but atleast its covered in good stuff.

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
Im getting about another 4-5 lbs for the right side today.. LFS should have some by now...

Yesterday was
NH3=0
NO2=5+
NO3=90!
pH=8.0
Salinity=1.023

I'm keeping my temp at like 80 now... should I drop it to like 78?

new fully cured/cycled rock from buddy

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
be prepared to drop hundreds of dollars if you do...

NH3=0
NO2=1!!!!!!
NO3=20
Salinity= 1.023
Alkalinity=Normal
pH=8

Nitrates dropped again... hopefully they stabilize soon... Nitrites dropped for the first time to 1.0. I'm pretty excited about that hoping they stay down. I am assuming the new 4 or so fully cured rock helped out a lot....on top of the 3 or so fully cured rock I added earlier in the week.

I have pretty much decided to play it safe and stick with a pair of clowns and a goby of some sort. I am looking into different types of clowns since at work we carry a few more than the normal false percs... We have clarkii's, saddleback's, skunks, and tomato's. I probably wont buy the fish at work even though the clowns (besides the false percs) are kept in somewhat better tank conditions than the rest (petco, what can you expect). But I can order whatever at my LFS for cheaper. I hear the black/white ocellaris so I prob wont get them, along with the clarkii's for the same reason.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
A 20 or 25 % change should be enough. It should get your nitrates down to less than 10ppm. Just check before you go to get your clean up crew that the ammonia and nitrites are fine. Nitrites are OK for fish, but I think they're bad for inverts.

If you're planning on getting a cleanup crew, keep a few hours free to acclimate them slowly. They need two or three hours of drip acclimating. I usually test the LFS water for salinity to see how far off it is from mine before I acclimate, just to see how slowly I need to drip. Snails process salt differently, and they're slow to acclimate.

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
Yeah I knew that nitrates are the worse for inverts... I have been drip acclimating my most recent FW fish so i'll make sure its a nice slow acclimation for these guys. Right now I am only thinking about hermits cause my glass is crystal clean still. Also the only snails my LFS usually has is only turbos and margarita so i'm gonna ask for him to get something else in.. I'm thinking astrea's

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
cerith it is....I'll see if he can get some of those.... I know theres one type that he got before that ended up being the wrong kind and being like killer snails.

I just don't want turbos to knock stuff over.. but if that's all he can get i'll get those or some snails from work (petco)... we have a few different kinds including the ceriths but its petco... soo....

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
Got a question...

Lid or no lid....

I know a lid will cause salt creep on it and possible raise my temperature....But a lid will also keep evaporation down and keep my fish from jumping out... I was thinking a goby as my first fish to add but I hear they jump.. along with bleenies... along with a lot of fish...

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
24 hours after the water change I still have nothing so I ran out and got some red legged hermits... Only got 4 for now but next week I'll get another 3-4 and maybe some snails if the algae starts to build up this week... I guess it will since the light will be on now.

Here's one of the little guys...

I got a bunch of extra shells but they look like margarita snail shells so I'm not gonna get those from that store...since he has a bunch of empty snail shells sitting in a jar...