what to chose?

Igor The Cat

Superstar Fish
Jul 14, 2003
Seattle, Washington
what bottomfeeders should i have in my 29gal planted?

i was thinking either;

1 small pl*co
3 kuhli loaches

or

3 otocinculi
3 corys

or

1 small pleco
3 cories

what do yall think?
all suggestions welcome

cheers

-Java

Aug 4, 2006
Alabama
Get more than 3 cories, they are social fish, so a group of 6 or more is best. You could get 6 panda cories, bandit cories, albino cories, or trilineatus cories. And still have room for a few ottos.

If you get the kuhli loaches, you have room for 4-6. They aren't very big at all...get about 4 inches, but they are pretty skinny.

For a small pleco, what about a clown pleco? They aren't great algae eaters, but they stay pretty small. A bristlenose would be ok, they can get 4-5 inches though.

Igor The Cat

Superstar Fish
Jul 14, 2003
Seattle, Washington
i think for the pl*co i might get a rubbernose, also will kuhlis eat snails, or do i need a bigger loach like a yoyo?

sorry, im just so bad with picking fish, i can do plants but fish baffle me.
also this will either be a Badis badis species tank, or a mixed dwarf cichlid.

cheers

-Java

Aug 4, 2006
Alabama
I don't think Kuhlis are great snail eaters. Yoyos are better snails eaters IMO, but are far too active for a 29g. I have 4 in my 55g and they constantly chase each other the length of the tank, so IMO a 30inch tank isn't big enough for them.

PlecoCollector

Superstar Fish
Aug 21, 2005
Clinton, NY
Hmmm, I definitly vote for the Cory cats. I want to say go with the plec, but I'd seen Otos in a planted tank and they always look so happy! The plec would be a little hardier than the Otos though, but the Otos may be a little more dilligent when it comes to cleaning. :)

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Don't mix the dwarf cichlids - just more of the same.

If you're really planning on filling it with dwarfs (say 4 females , 2 males) then some of those bottom dwellers will get a beating

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
wayne said:
Don't mix the dwarf cichlids - just more of the same.

If you're really planning on filling it with dwarfs (say 4 females , 2 males) then some of those bottom dwellers will get a beating
Id have to agree. If you are planning on Dwarf Chichlids then Cories and Khuli Loaches are out of the question. I think that a tank full of Apistos, or Rams would be pretty neat. Plecos should be able to handle themselves in there though.

Aug 4, 2006
Alabama
Striped Raphaels get around 5 inches, so you could have 1 in a 29g, but not 2...and if you did get one, I'd get some cories instead of a pleco, since the raphael gets kind of big.

If you don't have enough algae, then get some algae wafers. My ottos and bristlenose love them. Cucumber won't be enough IMO...so get some wafers. I like the Hikari and Wardley brands

Igor The Cat

Superstar Fish
Jul 14, 2003
Seattle, Washington
as for the cichlids, i CANT get more than one or two of the same species,beacuse all my LFSs just order "mixed appistos" so is cichlds a lost cause for me? but ill probably go with a rubbernose pl*co beacuse they eat algae and snails.

cheers

-Java

Igor The Cat said:
as for the cichlids, i CANT get more than one or two of the same species,beacuse all my LFSs just order "mixed appistos" so is cichlds a lost cause for me? but ill probably go with a rubbernose pl*co beacuse they eat algae and snails.

cheers

-Java
Rubbernose plecos eat Snails? I have one but I didn't know that; I thought my yo yo's & polka-dot loach did the snails in on their own :) Maybe, I'll move rubber-lip/nose to a snailier tank (it doesn't belong in "the asian tank" anyway). The Badis Badis tank with rubbernose pleco & cories sounds cool to me.

Last edited: