what to chose?

Aug 4, 2006
Alabama
If you are planning on Dwarf Chichlids then Cories and Khuli Loaches are out of the question.
Why is that? If he has just a pair of rams or apistos, there shouldn't be a problem. I keep a single bolivian with cories, loaches, and a bristlenose. At one time I had a bolivian and a german ram in with them and they didn't bother the other bottom feeders. I certainly wouldn't have 6 dwarf cichlids and all those bottom feeders....you shouldn't have 6 dwarf cichlids in a 29g anyways.

Go with the kuhlis and the rubbernose and maybe 1 dwarf cichlid. I wouldn't get 2 because with "mixed apistos" you probably wouldn't know if you are getting 2 of the same type.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I think you are plenty fine to have 6 apistos in a 29 gallon - what is that, 3 feet long. You will get a deal of displaying between the males, and you should have space for the females to setup microterritories of 4 , 6 inches diameter. I thnik the most I've had in a 4 foot tank was about 30, to try to recreate how they live in the wild. Very interesting setup.

When you order a bag of mixed apistos from a wholesaler , what would you get? I doubt you would literally get an order of truly mixed apistos. I suspect you just get what they have lying around, or have not, cannot be bothered to species id. My lfs frequently gets bags of mixed, unknown apistos from S America - they are normally all much the same, just unid'ed. Be aware that any bag of wildcaught apistos (or cories) will always have a certain percentage (5 -10) of 'others' mixed in anyway , which may or may not be more interesting.
Just go to the lfs and see what came in a particular bag on a particular day.