Walmart??What are thinkin'?

Shaunna

Large Fish
Oct 6, 2005
Ohio
WEll considering he will only be 16, I think minimum wage will be a pretty good start. And what bbetter way to step into the "real world" of working then with a job that you really like and fell like you could go to when you are scheduled.

Brownbullhead is right on the rest though. You can only do what your manager and store allow you to do. MAybe though, you could be a really good employee. Come th work on time, don't ask for alot of days off, minimize call ins, and take really good care of the tanks, and they may learn to trust your judgement as a person, an employee, and as a fishkeeper. You never know, you might could get promoted to dept. manager and then be able to make a couple of those major decisions yourself! I think it is a real good place to start and a very encouraging thought for the rest of us! I support you all the way! ;)

thanks for the support guys, minimum wage isnt good enough to live off of, but i an not even 16 yet. IF i get the job, (this is all hypathetical) i would keep the right fish in the right tank, clean the tanks better, and remove dead fish. i wouldnt just go dumping random fish into random tanks, like oscars and mollies, clown knives and feeders, anything any one does in that dept. is an improvement.

edit: i would also give those poor bettas some air!

Shaunna

Large Fish
Oct 6, 2005
Ohio
Well, none of the technicallities really matter. I am just glad that you are thinking of becoming a responsible citizen and helping out! That is all that really matters to me!

Nov 27, 2005
Everytime I see the fish at wal-mart, I want to buy some. However, I have noticed the same things that other people from various locations have. I will never buy a fish from there no matter how attractive it is.

Also, there was a comment about the employees and how they practically kill the fish when trying to catch it in the net. My lfs does the same thing to the point where I want to scream at them "I'm buying this fish to take home and when I get there I want them alive you stupid!"

Heres a big *thumbsdow to all you idiots who don't realize these fish are our pets and handle them so roughly.

Buy food there, hey, I'd even recommend buying clothes there, but please don't buy fish there. They shouldn't even sell them!

Oct 29, 2005
yahoofishkeeper said:
some one said earlier... why not work for wal-mart and run the fish department... I like that idea! i am 15 right now but as soon as i turn 16, i am going to apply for a job for the fish dept. i could improve alot of stuff. i also know WAY more than the current people there, and i am relatively new to this hobby! i think that would be cool to get paid to do something i enjoy and improve the lives of the fish, and maybe even inspire some little kid going to wal-mart getting a fish.
That was me and if you have any questions about the department and some of you duitys just ask.I,ve worked there for almost a year

Oct 29, 2005
Well if you want to have anycontrole over the place you have to work to become the merchendice supirvisor.Other than that your just pulling stock and diping fish. If you get the job they have these things called telxons they are basicly hand computers and you have to learn everything about these and you have to make the departmen look good there motto is the better your Dept lookss the better you look

kane

Small Fish
Feb 15, 2006
michigan
walmart is a profit only organization that hires illegal immigrants for work and then claims to be an american patriotic buisness!
so,what's that tell ya?
myself and my family do not shop there and i encourage anybody and everybody not to shop there.

I am a union man so i go to meijers and i dont use self checkout either.
That is someones job !

kane

Small Fish
Feb 15, 2006
michigan
Man, i hate walmart!
even though walmart sucks so do some LFS and petsmart,and some petco so with that said,even if you order your fish online how do you know what conditions they are kept in?

ANSWER: it's because you probably know there not kept as well as they should be but you did'nt see it with your own eyes so assume its the best place to order fish from! OUTA SIGHT OUTA MIND!!

I have a few stores here that i do trust and know they are good people.
I personally want to watch fish that i want before i buy them.
I will return to a store several times and watch a fish for 5 or 10 minutes before i decide to purchase them.

Ditto Shauna..... I wish someone would lock it :mad:
And I am speaking from experience.....
Worked at Wal-mart for 5 yrs as a Pharmacy Technician...... Now I have a "career" starting March 13th at one of the "top 100 hospitals" in the country...........WOOOOHOOOOO!!!!!!
Last day at Wallyworld is March 10th...... I was ashamed to tell people that I worked there.
They treat the "associates" like crap and take ,take, take and dont give a damn about you.
OK NUFF SAID

Last edited:
i got some fish from walmart and they are great! well they have plecos at mine but they have a person back there like all the time and he tells them if they should get a fish or not...i once tested him to see if i could put a pleco in my 10 gal tank and he said no so you all must have weird walmarts

kll1221

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Michigan
kane said:
walmart is a profit only organization that hires illegal immigrants for work and then claims to be an american patriotic buisness!
so,what's that tell ya?
myself and my family do not shop there and i encourage anybody and everybody not to shop there.

I am a union man so i go to meijers and i dont use self checkout either.
That is someones job !
Meijers isn't union anymore

and yes this thread is beating a dead horse hard

Uh, the thread is only going because ppl are continuing on it... SUCH as myself.... lol....

Sorry I need to add my 'two cents' in because well I need to, most especially because I don't know anyone in here and you can not hunt me down without some effort. Ha ha just kidding.

Anyways, we live in a capitalist society, capitalist societies breed corporations that care about one thing the almighty dollar. I commend ppl that don't 'buy from wal-mart' but unless you are purchasing your goods knowing that they are "made in USA" (or in my case "Canada") the you are most likely supporting some sort of organization, (many of which are in Asia) that support 'slave like labour'...... This is the price we pay for Capitalism. Oh yes, I'm not a card carrying commi, just beleive in more of a social welfare system in place for ppl. Wow this sure turned into a rant.. I apologize

I LOVE FISH

ha ha I thought that was a good way to end that