Walmart??What are thinkin'?

lstrong

New Fish
Jun 2, 2005
I was one of the unsuspecting people who bought a red belly pacu at wallmart.The tag said that it would get a maximum of 8 inches.It hit that within 6 months.It is now just under a foot and It is a terror.It ate an arowana, a shovelnose catfish,4 tiger barbs,and a gar.The only things it did not eat were the clown knife that I have and my eels.I have a 100 gallon tank so the fish size isn't that big of a deal,but it sure took me buy surprise.I have done a lot of research on the web and cosider myself able to take care of this fish for at least a couple more years,but with the potential size of the knife and the pacu i'm afraid the 100 gallon won't be adequate for either the pacu or the knife.I guess I will just have to get a bigger tank. :D :D

Its a lot of fun to feed the pacu.He eats everything from live fish to carrots and he eats it fast *thumbsups

hyunelan2

Large Fish
Jun 1, 2005
Near Chicago, IL
I have a newer Super-Walmart by me. They do not sell fish. They have tons of supplies, aquariums, foods, chemicals, etc. Everything but the fish. Maybe they're getting out of live animals in their new stores? Or maybe mine is just wierd? I find it strange that they don't have them though - it is a HUGE super-walmart, it's not like they didn't have room.

Strider

Small Fish
May 27, 2005
My experience

So they opened a Super Walmart near my house and I was out getting some stuff for my kids. Was planning to pick up a couple zebra danios later in the week to start my new 20 gal tank cycling, but while I had to be there, I figured I'd stop and get a couple to save me a trip out later.

OMG.

So I tell the guy I want three of those stripped fish and point at the danio tank. He gets the net and by sheer luck nets one and sticks it in the bag. "boy these fish are fast" he says "maybe I'll just net a bunch and see what we get". Ok I'm thinking. Walmart had a couple varieties of danios in the same tank.

He nets about 6 of them and is holding them in the air looking down into the net for a good 20 seconds. "Hmmm none in there", and he dumps them back in the tank. Then he does it again and gets a bunch more and starts picking them out of the net with his fingers and tossing them back in the tank one by one.

"I'm having a hard time telling them apart" he says and scoops another batch. Still holding the whole group in the air (already for another 20 seconds) he starts picking them out again, this time showing me each fish. "Is this one?" he says. It was a pearl danio. My eyes are already as big a saucers at the treatment of the poor fish. "yes, that one is fine" I say and he sticks it in my bag. Same for the next one.

I felt so bad for the fish I figured I better just get these guys and hopefully he will get the rest of the fish back in the tank so they can breathe.

Last time I go there. Luckily all three are swimming happily and appear to have survived his physical handeling and oxygen torture. :)

Oct 29, 2005
Biorium said:
....ARRRRRRRRRRRR....... #$%^ WALWARMT .... They are the cruelest company ever. There are soo many articles about how bad they treat your fish .... they only care about $$$$
Come on This is just redicules don't you people have better things to do with you life? Its not just about fish. Yea there are a few people who don't know how to take care of them. Do something about it besides complain. Apply for the job do something come on.
I have even asked on other posts just like this, to have the store number, Its on your receipt. I said I would call and talk to the store manager bUt no one ever does no one. IF YOU CARE SO MUCH DO SOMETHING. IF YOU CANT GET ME THE STORE NUMBER TO HELP CHANGE THE WAY IT IS RAN THAN I AM NOT EVEN TAKING YOU POST TO HEART ITS PROBABLY A LIE.
They have charitys that go to saving peoples lives. PEOPLE. Check these out.

http://www.walmartfoundation.org/wm...jlcfkfcfkjdgoodglh.0&oid=Community&coid=14962

http://www.recordonline.com/archive/2005/02/27/newmart.htm

Biorium

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2004
USA
www.biorium.pro.tc
Buickgirl1986 said:
Do something about it besides complain. Apply for the job do something come on.
I have even asked on other posts just like this, to have the store number, Its on your receipt. I said I would call and talk to the store manager bUt no one ever does no one. IF YOU CARE SO MUCH DO SOMETHING. IF YOU CANT GET ME THE STORE NUMBER TO HELP CHANGE THE WAY IT IS RAN THAN I AM NOT EVEN TAKING YOU POST TO HEART ITS PROBABLY A LIE.
Are you phychic or something :mad: :mad: :mad: ????????????????

It really bothers me when someone judges only for what the can read. Yes, I've talked to my local walmart manager, yes I KNOW my walmart number (#1825 ), Yes I've tried to do all what's on my hands to solve this issue. HOW DO YOU DARE TO SAY THAT NO ONE HAS DONE IT! :mad: unless you can read everyones mind.

Just answer me one question : Are you, or someone you know very related to walmart? You make it look like you are working for walmart's propaganda campaign, (trying to clean it's dirty name). I say this because you've replied every single bad comment on walmart about selling live fish.

Just face it : THEY SHOULD NOT SELL LIVE FISH.

Buickgirl1986 said:
They have charitys that go to saving peoples lives.
Of course they do, how are they going to discharge such astronomical taxes! and of course the save lives, but only after destroying others .... (destroying local bussiness, monopolizing entire markets, invading countries and paying low wages)

(
Buickgirl1986 said:
HEART ITS PROBABLY A LIE.
),

MY POINT IS THAT JUST BECAUSE YOU LIKE YOUR LOCAL WALMART, THAT DOEN'T GIVE YOU THE RIGHT TO CALL US LIERS. YOU SHOULD INFORM YOURSELF ABOUT THE OTHER WALMARTS AROUND THE WORLD AND AVOID LETTING YOUR IGNORANCE HURT OTHER PEOPLE. :mad: :mad:

Last edited:

brit_s86

Large Fish
Mar 28, 2005
it was already said,people go to walmart cause it cheap,and they think they will get a good deal,any fish I have ever got from walmart,i felt sorry for it,got it home,and it died.But atleast it died in clean,odourless water------oh yah!and about us that should go apply for jobs instead of talking about walmart,maybe you should be looking for a new job,cause if i worked for walmart that didnt have a good fish dep.,I wouldnt be tellin people.you should be the one lookin for a job!

Last edited:

Biorium

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2004
USA
www.biorium.pro.tc
cinlnk said:
DUELING BANJOS PLAYING IN THE BACKGROUND<<< Please please please..nuff about walmart...I am sick of it
Actually I'm also sick ... you can see my last post about this was 12-29-2004 (you can check this if you want :)) ... But what this person said, really got my blood boiling ...

what was said was said. Pleople are only sharing their experiences. Good or bad, I respect all positions, and Buickgirl1986 should too .... and don't call here people liers (Buickgirl1986).

Peace on the Earth one more time ....

*SUNSMILE* *SUNSMILE* *SUNSMILE* *SUNSMILE*

Aug 23, 2005
bellaire, ohio
tomadabomb said:
The problem is, they will continue to sell fish as long as they sell "pet products".
i doubt walmart will continue to waste money on fish if noone is buying them regardless of what products they sell. they sell dog cat and bird food, and you dont see puppies locked up in cardboard boxes around the store.

as for walmart as a whole, i think its a community killer, the big store comes in, kills off all of the mom & pop store's, which in turn kills the community's economy. people say they're bringing in all these jobs, BS, look at all the jobs that they're eliminating in the smaller stores. we have a pretty decent size mall here, the walmart decided to build its own plaza maybe a half mile from the mall, its been a few years now, you walk thru the mall and alot of the shops are empty now, most of the local owned stores in the area have closed or gone under since the walmart came to town. now we have 2 more "super" walmarts going in, and theyre turning the existing one into a super walmart also. im not diehard into the killing walmart but i think they should practice better business. they bring in out of state non union workers to build the stores, in some cases like one here, they were caught using illegal aliens to build the walmart, if your going to kill a community with your store, at least give the locals the chance to build the stores and let them earn the money that would otherwise goto out of state/out of country workers. there is my walmart rant, i know noone cares, but i threw in my 2 cents, maybe if we can just talk the walmart executives into taking a buisness ethics class.

Oct 29, 2005
Biorium Apperently i have hit a nerve on you. I am not related to wal mart I have worked there for 8 months in the pet Dept. You can't go around hating the store and all associated people because they have uneducated people running that Dept. That's what my beef is with everyone putting them down they just do it with out trying to help. When I first started working there I didn't know anything I had to ask people and do reserch. Did you ever think of going and saying something the the people that work there? Like telling them a few easy things to do, But you have no right to get mad at me you are one person out of how many thousand that just like to complain about the place. There has got to be someone to standup for what they do right. You can say they do charity as a tax right off. Even if they do there helping more people by having blood drives every 3 months and donating to Childrens Marical Network. Then you people do gathering around on your computer thinking of ways to make them look bad because of FISH! Why don't you refocus all that negative energy and maybe go down to your local blood bank, or pull some cash out of your wallet and give to some of the needy people in your town, Maybe get rid of an old car and donate it. You can even use it as a tax right off. I will not judge you for it. Even if you get a little back in return you still did something right and thats what matters. In closing why are you yelling at me I am offering to help by calling, and doing something about it, shouldn't you be chearing me on?

Shaunna

Large Fish
Oct 6, 2005
Ohio
I am not going to get into this post too much, I just wanted to comment that just about everyone who donates to charity uses it as a tax right off. The money that you get back on your return specifically for that can then go back to charity and so on and so on. IT isn't a bad thing to report charity donations to the IRS as long as you are donating from your heart and not just so you can say you do it.

Oct 29, 2005
cinlnk said:
DUELING BANJOS PLAYING IN THE BACKGROUND<<< Please please please..nuff about walmart...I am sick of it
Sorry for sounding a little mean here but if you dont like the post don't come in and read it. Its rude to come into a post and just tell the people on it to stop expressing there views.

Oct 29, 2005
Shaunna I totaly agree. I am from a small poor town and there isn't much we can do in the way of money but I can tell you one thing they have to bring 3 blood bank buses to our store. Were a family in my store and we give till we can't anymore even if we have problems of our own. Check out about our small town for your self.

http://www.fay-west.com/dunbar/
http://www.idcide.com/citydata/pa/dunbar.htm

I am not only proud of the people I work with but the place where i was born and raised

Attachments

Shaunna

Large Fish
Oct 6, 2005
Ohio
It is a very cute little place! Kinda reminds me of where I live. LOL, that is soo funny that your male/female age ratios are right on. Although you have roughly a hundred or so more women than men, when it comes to ages it seems like just about everyone has someone. with a match up like that the population oughtta rise in no time!!! :p That is too bad about them going to bulldoze the coke ovens. They look very cute. Has there been alot of accidents or are they just getting tired of them?

Shaunna

Large Fish
Oct 6, 2005
Ohio
Why would you lock it? Hell we got into way more on the canada thread then was even thought about here! You can't just go locking up opinions. Everything is still civil, let it be!

Buickgirl1986 said:
Come on This is just redicules don't you people have better things to do with you life? Its not just about fish. Yea there are a few people who don't know how to take care of them. Do something about it besides complain. Apply for the job do something come on.

http://www.walmartfoundation.org/wm...jlcfkfcfkjdgoodglh.0&oid=Community&coid=14962

http://www.recordonline.com/archive/2005/02/27/newmart.htm

If Wal-Mart here paid more in the $10 CDN (about $8.50 US) / hour range, I would find it a career challenge to work at wally-mart and educate department store shoppers in fish, and sell them some along the way! However, I *KNOW* I cannot live off $7.25 CDN (about $6.00 US) / hour, so why even bother trying?

I make $11.20 CDN (about $9.35 US) / hour currently as a Security Officer and I sometimes find that isn't enough... then again, I guess it's all about what you "need" and what you "want".