Tiny pleco+8 oto cats=overkill?

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
So, I was in Walmart today and off a whim stopped by the fish department. (More to look at decorations then fish, but I got sucked in). I was looking in a tank that said it had large plecos in it and saw these little pleco-like fishes swimming around. When I say little, I mean they were *maybe* an inch long. At first I thought they might be little clown plecos, but after doing some googling, they look suspiciously like this: Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Gypsy King Tiger Pleco (L-66)
As the link says, it's labeled as a Gypsy King Tiger pleco. It also says they don't get more than 5 1/2" inches long. I instantly fell in love with the little guys and the guy in the pet department at Walmart said they'd been there for a week (there were five in the tank) and no one had shown any interest in them until I did. He said he'd try to keep one for me until next week when I get paid, and that they're the same price as the "small plecos" they sell, which are about $4. *thumbsups
So, here comes my question...would the pleco plus my oto cats be overkill in my 45gal? I only have the three otos at the moment, but I'm planning on having at least eight in there (whether from fry that survive from this batch of eggs...if any do...or by purchasing more). *GOLDFISH*
I checked the AqAdvisor...stocked as I am now (or will be once I add the 5 black mollies and 5 more oto cats), I'm at 79% capacity. If I add the King Tiger pleco to the list, I reach 88% stocking capacity. So I'm good in that I won't be overstocked adding the pleco. I'm just really wondering about feeding everybody. :p

Last edited:

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
I have a whole big bag of them from when I had a common pleco in my Eclipse 1 tank (18gal that I had before I got the nice big tank). I got rid of the pleco 'cuz it got too big and was really dirty, but I've heard that the commons are more dirty than the other species. Don't know if that's true, but...
I never used them for the otos because there was always plenty of algae in the tanks. :p I used them at first in the 45gal 'cuz there wasn't any algae, but now there's plenty, so I don't even bother.

DarkLies

Large Fish
Nov 9, 2009
Louisiana
Haha
At first I bought a tiny bag to see if any fish would eat them...I was soon running to buy the huge bag as well =]
So, you CAN actually use them to start algae? I thought so, but I wasn't sure =]

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
No, my algae started all on its own. I meant when I first stocked the tank I had to use the algae wafers. After I had a horrible bacterial bloom, I had to clean the tank thoroughly (all decorations as well) and somehow the algae took over where the bacteria left off. :p At least I don't have to feed the otos, though. lol

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
yah not feeding otos is great. that way you dont ahve to worry if theyre getting enough food :]

i say get the pleco if you think it wont overstock the tank and it will work.

Doomhed

Large Fish
Feb 11, 2003
Rhode Island
Visit site
wait, so thats twice you have gotten catfish mislabeled as plecos? lol

and diva, while I am sorry you lost your fish, I tried to warn you about bettas and higher tank pressures. There is a reason I had bettas reach 6 years of age regularly. A shallow betta is a happy betta!

beckyd

Large Fish
Mar 16, 2009
Higher tank pressures? As in water pressure? Interesting. I have tried 3 times to have a betta sorority in my big tanks. Fail. So my girls in the 10 stand a better chance according to this theory. Do you think 10gs are good depth wise? OH, that gives me an idea of a half-filled 10 with plants that grow out the water. Anybody ever done that? OK, I'm gonna start a new thread so as not to hijack. Doomhed, please fill me in more there.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
wait, so thats twice you have gotten catfish mislabeled as plecos? lol

and diva, while I am sorry you lost your fish, I tried to warn you about bettas and higher tank pressures. There is a reason I had bettas reach 6 years of age regularly. A shallow betta is a happy betta!
Thanks, doom, but I kinda lost the girls to ick, not the higher tank pressures. I'm 99.9% sure the ick hitchhiked in on the second two upside down cats I bought (stupid me didn't quarantine them...taught me my lesson in a big way). HOWEVER, I am in the process of working out a deal for a 50gal long tank, so any future females will be nice and shallow. Now if thet stinkin' people would just email me back!

Doomhed

Large Fish
Feb 11, 2003
Rhode Island
Visit site
I remember Doom said that around 18" of water depth is the bettas' limit. 18"+ will cause problems. piling gravel higher can actually reduce the water height...
yep, less water, lower water pressure and very happy bettas.

dont be surprised if your girls get so happy they blow bubbles in the tank and under leaves.

shallow bettas are less stressed and do not get diseases like ich or fin rot nearly as often. bettas are hearty fish as long as they have shallow water.