Stocking a 5-Gallon Aquarium

Oct 29, 2010
Oh, nevermind aakaakaak! I know what you mean now. What's really scary is that is the same picture they use for the three gallon!

With professionals putting out this kind of advertisement its no wonder people think that kind of thing is okay. Same with goldfish bowls, etc.

Also, Newman, I've read that bettas will sometimes sleep in the leaves of an Amazon Sword plant like a hammock! Do you think I would be able to grow one of those?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
not likely with stock lighting. floating plants like hornwort, anacharis are good plants and bettas will sleep in them too.
I have some pics for you:
(Silver in his hornwort bed)

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
what kind of filter are you using?

no they wont clog them, although loose leaves of any plant will clog a filter intake (it sticks to the meshed intake guard that all filters should have...)

Red Cherry Shrimp are not aggressive like Ghost Shrimp. I've only ever been able to find any for sale online or at my local fish store. Red Cherry Shrimp are great starter shrimp because they are pretty hardy and left under the right circumstances breed very easily -- which is why you shouldn't buy a TON when and if you do buy some.

Sometimes Petco offers Crystal Red Shrimp, which are one of my favorites, they're not aggressive like Ghost Shrimp either but they are extremely sensitive to water parameters and it's difficult to avoid other fish picking at them. Of course that can happen with all shrimp, but at least Ghost Shrimp and Red Cherry Shrimp are way cheap comparatively. So just a heads up incase you stumble upon those, I wouldn't fully suggest starting out with those.

I've also seen Bamboo Shrimp at Petco (also called Singapore Shrimp, Flower Shrimp and a few others..) I wouldn't suggest those for that size tank, maybe a 30 or so gallon tank with a nice strong current.

The last popular one are Amano shrimp, which like the Crystal Red Shrimp are sensitive to water conditions and they are aggressive, possibly more aggressive than Ghost Shrimp.

If you have any other questions about other shrimp, I should be able to lend some advice, I've kept quite a few varieties..and like the other members I suggest the Nerite snail! They're fabulous.

Nov 16, 2010
Simple is sometimes best. I would recommend AGAINST ghost shrimp, though. I had four in one of my 5gal tanks with one of my male halfmoon bettas and they completely destroyed his fins. They are extremely opportunistic and a slower-moving betta with long flowing fins is just too much to resist. I would keep them with my halfmoon double tail plakat (short-finned) male, though, because he doesn't have long fins for them to munch on.
My 5 gallon set up is simple and easy to maintain.
Air pump w/ small airstone
Whisper hang over filter
standard lighting

Fan Tail Goldfish (about 2 inches)
Golden Algae Eater (about 2 inches)
Ghost Shrimp

This tank has been the happy environment for these 3 guys for almost 2 years. I also had concerns about the shrimp trying to eat the flowing fins of my gold fish but the shrimp always keeps his distance. The Sucker will occasionally chase the goldfish around for a moment then give up and return to the depths so to speak. I am cycling an upgraded 10 gallon for these guys currently as a result of the attachment that i have come to have with all of them. BUT what i was getting at is that unless you overdo the ghost shrimp they shouldnt harm your fish. IN MY OPINION

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
My 5 gallon set up is simple and easy to maintain.
Air pump w/ small airstone
Whisper hang over filter
standard lighting

Fan Tail Goldfish (about 2 inches)
Golden Algae Eater (about 2 inches)
Ghost Shrimp

This tank has been the happy environment for these 3 guys for almost 2 years. I also had concerns about the shrimp trying to eat the flowing fins of my gold fish but the shrimp always keeps his distance. The Sucker will occasionally chase the goldfish around for a moment then give up and return to the depths so to speak. I am cycling an upgraded 10 gallon for these guys currently as a result of the attachment that i have come to have with all of them. BUT what i was getting at is that unless you overdo the ghost shrimp they shouldnt harm your fish. IN MY OPINION
Not sure how your fantail goldfish and CAE have survived in a 5gal for two years. :eek: Goldfish get to be 6-8" when cared for properly (given space to grow) and CAEs get to be 12-13". I fear that both of your fish may be stunted and probably won't live out their full lives (goldfish can live for 15+ years). :(