Stocking a 5-Gallon Aquarium

Oct 29, 2010
Hi!

I am considering purchasing a 5-gallon dorm aquarium:
Marineland 5-gallon Crescent Aquarium System - Sale - Fish - PetSmart
with the addition of a small heater. I don't want to go much larger, as I have limited space and will need to be able to move the tank easily.

I have kept fish before, but am unfortunately finding information on fish stocking that is only consistent in that it is highly contradictory.

1. I would like to stock the tank with live plants, and although I am experienced with tanks I am not with aquarium plants. Can you recommend one or several plant types that would go well with the fish below?

2. Post-cycling, I am first of all planning to purchase a male betta.

3. I love otocinclus catfish, and simply cannot find a reliable source for whether they would be able to live healthily in a well-managed 5 gallon tank, with supplemental algea wafers and veggies. I would love to have enough to watch them school together, which would seem like it would require at least four, but I definitely do not want to overload the tank.

4. I also like African Dwarf Frogs, but I am definitely feeling like even one would be overloading the tank. However, with careful management, would I be able to keep a pair?

5. If the otos simply cannot be kept healthily in this tank, can you recommend a snail type that will not breed crazily or grow too large?

**edit** 6. Would a "Sea Monkey" kit be a viable option to produce live treats for these fish?

Thank you very much for your time, and any help you can offer!

Feb 27, 2009
I wouldn't recommend any of the Otocinclus species for a 5 gallon tank. They need a mature (stable for 6 months) planted aquarium and should be kept in a shoal of 5 or more. They need 20 gallons at a miniumum. They need a constant source of algae and not all will take algae wafers or veggies.

I'm not sure how much light the LED lights will give out to grow plants. I've been growing plants for years but have not used LED to grow plants, so can't really recommend what plants would grow with them.

A good plant guide, once you find out what output the lights have on your tank, can be used to get an idea of what you can grow:

PlantGeek.net - Plant Guide

Oct 29, 2010
I wouldn't recommend any of the Otocinclus species for a 5 gallon tank. They need a mature (stable for 6 months) planted aquarium and should be kept in a shoal of 5 or more. They need 20 gallons at a miniumum. They need a constant source of algae and not all will take algae wafers or veggies.

I'm not sure how much light the LED lights will give out to grow plants. I've been growing plants for years but have not used LED to grow plants, so can't really recommend what plants would grow with them.

A good plant guide, once you find out what output the lights have on your tank, can be used to get an idea of what you can grow:

PlantGeek.net - Plant Guide

Thank you very much for your answer :)

Can you recommend a small catfish species that could live in a five gallon? Corydoras seem popular but they grow to be four inches D:

I'm actually now starting to consider moving up to ten gal... is there a species that could work in there?

Oct 29, 2010
Stocking a 5 Gallon

Hi!

I am considering purchasing a 5-gallon dorm aquarium:

Marineland 5-gallon Crescent Aquarium System

with the addition of a small heater. I don't want to go much larger, as I have limited space and will need to be able to move the tank easily.

I have kept fish before, but am unfortunately finding information on fish stocking that is only consistent in that it is highly contradictory.

1. I would like to stock the tank with live plants, and although I am experienced with tanks I am not with aquarium plants. Can you recommend one or several plant types that would go well with the fish below?

2. Post-cycling, I am first of all planning to purchase a male betta.

3. I love otocinclus catfish, and simply cannot find a reliable source for whether they would be able to live healthily in a well-managed 5 gallon tank, with supplemental algea wafers and veggies. I would love to have enough to watch them school together, which would seem like it would require at least four, but I definitely do not want to overload the tank.

4. I also like African Dwarf Frogs, but I am definitely feeling like even one would be overloading the tank. However, with careful management, would I be able to keep a pair?

5. If the otos simply cannot be kept healthily in this tank, can you recommend a snail type that will not breed crazily or grow too large?

6. Would an Oscar Enterprises Hatch N Feed Brine Shrimpery kit be a viable option to produce live treats for these fish?

I think it would be too large for my tank though D:

Thank you very much for your time, and any help you can offer!

Oct 29, 2010
Because after I posted this, I thought about it looked into the General forum, which seems to have more people posting and I am not a total beginner so I thought it was fine.

I do feel that getting multiple opinions are a very good thing - everyone seems to have a different idea about proper stocking.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
No catfish species that I know of will work in a 5gal tank. As for snails, nerite snails are perfect for smaller tanks. They don't get huge, they can't breed in freshwater (only brackish), and they come in many beautiful varieties. I have a zebra nerite snail and he is awesome. He actually cleaned up the algae in my 55gal better than either my bristlenose pleco OR my otos.

Oct 29, 2010
No catfish species that I know of will work in a 5gal tank. As for snails, nerite snails are perfect for smaller tanks. They don't get huge, they can't breed in freshwater (only brackish), and they come in many beautiful varieties. I have a zebra nerite snail and he is awesome. He actually cleaned up the algae in my 55gal better than either my bristlenose pleco OR my otos.
Thanks!

That's what most of my research is saying as well :( which is a bummer since I love catfish!

I'm thinking now that all I'm going to get is the betta, a few shrimp, and the snail. Keep it simple :)

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Simple is sometimes best. I would recommend AGAINST ghost shrimp, though. I had four in one of my 5gal tanks with one of my male halfmoon bettas and they completely destroyed his fins. They are extremely opportunistic and a slower-moving betta with long flowing fins is just too much to resist. I would keep them with my halfmoon double tail plakat (short-finned) male, though, because he doesn't have long fins for them to munch on.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
male betta, 5 cherry shrimp and the nerite are goo choices. have you decided what kind of light you will use to provide for your live plants? stock lighting is not going to cut it.

Oct 29, 2010
Simple is sometimes best. I would recommend AGAINST ghost shrimp, though. I had four in one of my 5gal tanks with one of my male halfmoon bettas and they completely destroyed his fins. They are extremely opportunistic and a slower-moving betta with long flowing fins is just too much to resist. I would keep them with my halfmoon double tail plakat (short-finned) male, though, because he doesn't have long fins for them to munch on.
Oh, wow I didn't know that! Is there a different type of shrimp that doesn't eat bettas?

Oct 29, 2010
male betta, 5 cherry shrimp and the nerite are goo choices. have you decided what kind of light you will use to provide for your live plants? stock lighting is not going to cut it.
Are cherry shrimp less aggressive than ghosts?

And I hadn't even thought about lighting, I really don't know much about aquarium plants!

The tank claims a "16 bulb LED system" which is about as vague as it gets as far as watts and whatnot go. The room will also have some indirect natural sunlight.

Are there plants which require less light than others?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
low light plants are the hardiest, although everyone will have their demons from that category (mine is anubias. anubias absolutely hate me)

cherry shrimp are perfect for you. they will not touch anything but plants. but live plants are important to their survival. But i dont want to limit you to just cheery. take a look around the net and youll usually find what types of FW shrimp are beginner friendly. planet inverts is a good place to look too.(i think thats the right name of the site)

can i have a link to this info on the light? even a quick look will tell me if they will be ok, or whether you are better off buying something else ( simple CFL daylight bulbs works perfectly well. they are those twisted spiral bulbs found at any store. the K rating of 4100K or anything more is great.)