Rope light for Moonlight

Jul 15, 2003
Western New York
Thx to ecotank I now have a wonderful moonlit tank...he told me about rope lighting from Home Depot and its GREAT!! $10...However I happened to go to WalMart right after and they have Halloween rope lighting for $6...but it only comes in purple, orange, black (I know I thought the same thing...BLACK?) and white...I got blue from home depot

Jul 15, 2003
Western New York
don't use black light...it may stress the fish and look weird...blue is the most natural but purple or red would look nice as well...moonlit tank is just recreating what would happen in nature...on a clear night the moon shines through the water...

mamba

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2003
Pennsylvania
around here we can only get like a 6 foot section of rope light. i was thinking about doing this but im gunna have to rewire the rope light ... the question i have . do the fish seem to act different when the light is turned on.

Jul 15, 2003
Western New York
trout I didn't shorten the rope...I just left it as a clump in back of my tank for now...I too have an 18 foot section and wrapped it around the inside of the canopy 1 time...there's about 10 feet left...I will find some way to hide it..

mamba, the fish are fine its what would happen in nature...I have been leaving the moonlight on all night but I think I will have the timer also turn it back off at midnight and back on at 5 or 6AM....

Balance

Large Fish
Jul 16, 2003
Aurora, IL
www.myspace.com
i bought a blue rope light at target this weekend for $7!

im gonna attach it to the inside of my hood.
the fish not only looked cool, but they really seemed to like the moonlight effect!

Thanks to both Ecotank and Hawkeye for posting this cool idea!:D

Jul 15, 2003
Western New York
That's great Balance...I knew you would like it...I am thinking about buying a few more of those lights so when I get my other tanks going in a few weeks I will be ready...they are so cheap around Xmas time at WalMart and of course Target.....

Balance

Large Fish
Jul 16, 2003
Aurora, IL
www.myspace.com
has anybody tried to cut these lights yet?

looks like it should be possible...... not sure if I want to ruin a light just yet:D

the blue rope light was the hardest to find...... clear with glitter and spongebob, no problem, blue was just asking for too much!

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
We found blue ropelight in the lighbulb section of Walmart for $7. You can usually also find it in Home Depot/Lowes.

What you could think of doing (if you have room in your hood) is to swirl the excess around in a circle in the middle to form a "moon."

mamba

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2003
Pennsylvania
i cut my light . i should have waited though a bigger section would fit nice in my new hood .. i got a little section of rope light now . about 3 or 4 foot i think ... it was just enough to fit in my old hood all i did was give it a good snip and it worked for me ... im gunna try and reattach the rest of the sections to it tonight though i want more