Rope light for Moonlight

Jul 15, 2003
Western New York
that's fine...the blue moonlight is more for us looking at them...many nocturnal fish cannot see dark color lights like the blue...this way they think it is night time and come out to feed and you can watch them...just a little way to trick them...LOL

ecotank

Superstar Fish
Aug 30, 2003
Palm Springs, Ca
home.earthlink.net
It works great Chiclid-man! Many nocturnal fish can be viewed easily, and other fish like neons look awesome in the moonlight!

It also allows us more "fish time" without running all the wattage and risk algae growth.

Just makes for a more natural habitat for our lil friends I think :D

pete19

New Fish
Aug 31, 2005
i tryed blue rope lights and i found they wont that brite the proper moonlights are cheap eneyway i pay round here about £6.50 for a three foot tank. my fish tend to swim more relaxd and dont fight at all wen the moonlight is on i leave the moonlight on with a brite white and found out it brung the coulors of my cichlids out more brightly.

Attachments

hyunelan2

Large Fish
Jun 1, 2005
Near Chicago, IL
My problem with rope lights is they're too bright. I made my moonlighting in my 25g by using 2 blue LEDs, wired in parallel and 2 AA batteries with a switch in between. Gives the 'nightlight' effect nicely, without being very bright. I've had them on there for about 2 months, turned on every night - and they still have the original batteries. LEDs suck down very, very little power. On my 10G breeder/QT, I leave the single LED moonlight on all the time, since the garage can be dark - no windows. I think they're a much better choice for moon lighting if you're handy with DIY stuff.

EvilWays

Small Fish
Feb 27, 2009
took the advice on using ropelight. works like a charm *except* throws down a TON of heat. hawk, it looks like your light is strung around the top of the canopy around the lights correct? i set mine up under my main lights (flouros so no worries on melting them or anything) and instead of going around the perimeter of my tank i went back and fourth across the length of my canopy which gave me about 4 strands of light across the length of my tank... does your blue ropelight seem more green than blue though?

Last edited: