Ram Man's 5 gallon cube of death.

Sep 26, 2006
New Jersey
hey Ram Man i'm thinking of getting one of these little cool guys just filter ph and heather all you need or anything else since he stores his food i wasn't sure what else you have well thx :D

Dadstank

Large Fish
Nov 4, 2006
Minnesota
RAM.. nice tank!*thumbsup2
I usually hear of people having a hard time getting rid of mantis...
I have done some reading on them and they are pretty fascinating.
Have you ever thought of a HOBfuge? With all the dead matter your nitrates are going to skyrocket and your corals could suffer. You could then have a natural pod source for anything in the cube, nitrates would be alot better, probably less water changes....
Q? You mentioned that when you do water changes you get an algea bloom?
What type of water are you using? I'm sure you know not to use your tap water.....I used to get water from the grocery store from those "RODI" water stations.... but I finally did a check of dissolved solids and whatnot and I about shat, yeah.. it was close to tap water...
Lesson.. don't trust stores to keep up with changing filters on time...
I use filtered rain water and snow in winter... just run it through a britta pure filter and DS are at about 20-30ppm.

ZOO's are awesome... look forward to seeing pics... beware of palytoxins

Dadstank

Large Fish
Nov 4, 2006
Minnesota
Igor The Cat said:
tap water can work, seattle has tap with a TDS of only 15ppm or so, so it can work but RO/DI is better.

-Java
????? 15ppm? Wow Here in MN we have alot of calcium, iron, and some other minerals in our tap water, and nitrates are present and just high enough to cause the red slime to come out in full force...

Dadstank said:
Have you ever thought of a HOBfuge? With all the dead matter your nitrates are going to skyrocket and your corals could suffer. You could then have a natural pod source for anything in the cube, nitrates would be alot better, probably less water changes....
Q? You mentioned that when you do water changes you get an algea bloom?
What type of water are you using? I'm sure you know not to use your tap water.....
i really wouldnt worry too much about ram. he has everything under control, and knows tons about mantises and nanos. also there shouldnt be any dead matter in a tank.;)

ram man

Superstar Fish
Apr 16, 2005
Arizona
kinda slow on the updates. algae is gone. mantis is happy. and there was a problem with the zoas. some disease(white bumbs on the polyps) killed one of the colonies. but the more colorful one has survived.

ram man

Superstar Fish
Apr 16, 2005
Arizona
Well, I hate to say it but the little guy isnt in the world of the living anymore. I checked on him right now and he was as stiff as a rock. I thought he was just staring at me as he usualy did, then i put the turkey baster near his face... No movement. I knew these little guys didnt live more than five years, and only grew to 2.5 inches, so i should have seen it comming when he wasnt eating anymore, and was close to 3 inches long. RIP.