Pirhana tank size

MrParker

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2005
So Cal
i wish i could get some pirahnas and feed them live creatures like small feeder mice and things of that sort. Then the collection of bones would Pile up on the floor of the tank and look like a death trap tank. RAD HUH! hahaha what do you actually feed them anyways? Sorry i'm not being helpful towards your question, but how long is the small pirahna and how big will it get? i would probably suggest a 29 gal (shortnlong).

Sandtiger

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Simi Valley, CA
Well, it would probably get to about,oh 5 or 6 inches,I think. Anyway, I probably would not feed it all live food, maybe just twice a week or so. It would most likely be fed frozen (thawed) silversides or sand eels stuck on a feeding stick, like the kind used to feed large cichlids and such. But your right, the bones piled on the tank bottem would look very cool! *BOUNCINGS

dss2004

Large Fish
Oct 1, 2004
Frisco, Texas
www.freewebs.com
I have heard that it takes a lot of research to set-up a pirhana. I know that they like to be in schools and need extremely large tanks. I don't think a 29 gallon would come close. I believe they need upwards of a 100 gallons are more to feel comfortable. I saw a thread on here a while back maybe try and do a search.

Feb 27, 2005
if they sell it at the lfs they wont label it piranha it might be a pacu or unless the fish store hides the fish which alot do if u get to know the people they might sell it to u
i have 6 baby red bellies these things r awsome but u cant feed them just once a week when babys or juviniles i still feed my 3 times a day
these fish are awsome i hope u get urs soon just do some research and u should be good if u live any where in bayarea i may be able to help you

Ron

Sandtiger

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Simi Valley, CA
I actually haven't been to the store yet, I heard about it from a friend, so I don't know how much they cost. I'll ask her about it, plus I'll check out the store. When she told me about it, she said they had red-bellies and other
kinds of pirhanas, including some really big ones! Oh, and thanks for the link Lotus. *thumbsups

Sandtiger

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Simi Valley, CA
Whoa, tons of questions at the same time. First off, I haven't been to the store so I don't know if they're pirhanas or not, like I said before,I'll have to ask my friend . Also, I'm not going to get pirhanas now because I don't want to get in trouble. Besides, my tank isn't big enough.

zane1

New Fish
Mar 20, 2005
I have a red bellied piranha. he is about 3-1/2 inches long, i got him when he was about the size of a dime. I have had him for about 6 months. they double in size about every 2 months, depending on how much u feed them. they like to school, so if u are to get more than one get 3 or more. cuz if u just get 2 one will become more dominate and kill the other. I have min ein a 55 gal now and he will prolly remian in it, they only need 20 gal to get full size, but i like to give mine room. i started mine in a 10, so however u choose to set up a tank(which is not hard) jsut know to have fun with him, and feed him live fish everyonce and a while!