Pirhana tank size

MrParker

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2005
So Cal
I WANT ONE SOOO BADD!!! someone help me get one i'm in southern cali, i wont release it into any lakes or rivers or anything. i just want to watch it eat live food haha.

brit_s86

Large Fish
Mar 28, 2005
Pirhana

I have a 3 month old pirhana.He is 2-3 inches.also today I bought another one.about 6-8 inches.I have them in a 29 gallon tank.i hear it is alright to have 2 in that size of tank.I feed them feeders.raw hamburger.and shrimp,and blood worms

brit_s86

Large Fish
Mar 28, 2005
pirhana

I havent actually got to see mine eat yet.Ive seen blood worms,and my small one likes to shred it apart,but i just bought my big one yesterday.I put two feeders in obernight,but they didnt eat them yet,but when i put my first one in,it took him like a week before he ate anythin.My boyfriend bought a corn snake yesterday,so I might try feeding him a pinkie.I wouldnt clean the tank with my large one in there,thats forsure!He almost jumped outta my tank,when we were changing part of the water.the large one is very vicious.In the store I bought him,he jumped outta the net,and smacked the bucket.:(.But he is ok! within a day or two,i should see alot of action .But i think 3 or more would be alot more action,maybe i should get one more.If i decide to I can get some thursday......but there babies

brit_s86

Large Fish
Mar 28, 2005
pirhana

But I think my big one is gonna eat my little one.Do you have any suggestions about what i can put in my tank,to make the water crystal clear?

Sandtiger

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Simi Valley, CA
Well, Tidy Tank works pretty well. The guy across the street uses it and his tank is very, very clear. You might also want to try a diatom filter. Yuo can't use it all the time but if you use it when the tank is really dirty after a few miniutes the tank will be so clear it will look like your fish are swimming in air.

Managuense

Superstar Fish
May 16, 2003
Springfield, MO
www.piranha-fury.com

piranha, depending upon the species, are mostly shy, reclusive fish that do not live up to the man-eating stories people often tell.

they are very cool fish in their own right, but you really have to find other ways to enjoy their natural behavior rather than thinking that they will "really tear up some feeders".

larger tanks, usually 55 gallon or larger.....but to do them real justice a 100 or larger is needed for the schoolers - nattereri, etc.

BTW- it is absolutley NOT necessary to feed them live foods, as they tend to be too risky with disease introduction and/or shear messiness (mouse idea).....many people find a local fish market and use sides of halibut, trout, and most other white fish to feed their piranha, which usually quickly adapt to such feedings. whole, uncooked shrimp are also excellent.

frequent partial water changes are worth their weight in gold :)
M

scubadude

Large Fish
Aug 20, 2005
carthage,MO.
I kept 3 RBP's in a 55 and all seemed very nervous at all times. Fright responses were very common, and if you want to feel comfortable putting your hands in the tank to work on it, get at least a 55. A tank with 2 hoods with lights will allow you to "train" your pirana to keep their distance. Only turn the light on when you are going to work on the tank and only turn on one light at once. The fish will eventually learn this behavior and instantly dart to the dark side of the tank untill the light goes off. You must be careful not to crowd the side they are on, or you will surely get a fright response and risk a nasty bite. For a pirana tank the bigger the better.

scubadude

Large Fish
Aug 20, 2005
carthage,MO.
I have recieved conflicting info on how legal it is to own/sell pirana in MO. One pet store told me I can't own them, another said no problem and wants to buy from me if I'm sucessful in spawning. So I don't know what to do besides hope no one tells on me if they are illegal. Our streams around here get way too cold for a pirana to survive a full season anyway. A local release would be a death sentance.

Last edited:

ashleigh

Superstar Fish
Jan 8, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
It's legal to own some species at least, I don't know about all. I haven't seen them in chain stores but independants have them. Chazwick you might try to tell your sister's moron that their eating habits are largely overrated as Managuense mentioned.

LongTime

Large Fish
May 16, 2004
Florissant, MO
Visit site
scubadude said:
I have recieved conflicting info on how legal it is to own/sell pirana in MO. One pet store told me I can't own them, another said no problem and wants to buy from me if I'm sucessful in spawning. So I don't know what to do besides hope no one tells on me if they are illegal. Our streams around here get way too cold for a pirana to survive a full season anyway. A local release would be a death sentance.
1) They are not illegal in Missouri

2) The odds are VERY slim they would survive but if they end up any place, say in a small pond, where the water is warmed by the output of some type of industry, they just might make it in that area. I've read stories about tropicals living in isolated colonies as far north as Canada.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
They pulled a beauty out of the Thames in London last year.... I doubt it would survive a winter though unless it lived by the outlet of a power station or such