nymphaea lotus zenkeri flowering

darius3

Small Fish
Mar 11, 2010
Hello,
I have a nymphaea lotus zenkeri for 7 months and I just noticed that it is developing a flower. I measured it and it’s growing pretty fast, about 2cm per day.
I estimate that in 7 days it will reach the surface.
I have an open top tank with lights (3x39W) at 15 cm distance from the water surface.
Do you have any advice for helping the future flower?
Thanks!
Darius

Attachments

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
awesome! I havent seen any flowers from my red water lilies yet, even though I've had them for a long time and they have been through a few massive leaf blooms.

good luck with yours, I hope it looks amazing. no particular care needs to be done to it :)

darius3

Small Fish
Mar 11, 2010
whats that smell like?
lolz, water lilies sure can be a good addition to a tank.
here's the photo i took this morning.

The smell is like lily and hyacinth. I really can't tell much about it.
I have a question regarding the lights. Now as the flower is much taller it doesn't get much light.
I have a hang on lamp at about 10cm from the tank, I was thinking to suspend the lamp at 15-20cm so the flower will get more light. What do you think?

Attachments

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
looks like it doesnt have much left. time that is. if it opens at night, then thats the time I'd be looking at it. with the lights off, otherwise it will want to close then. how do you look at it with no lights? you keep the room dark for a few hours and then turn on the light and see if its open. if not then turn the light off and go do something. it should open all the way during the night if you say so.