My platy looks like it is about to explode!

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
I got home tonight and noticed that one of my female platies looks like she is about to explode. She is extremely large and her scales are bulging out. I have never seen anything like this before, does anyone have a clue what it is and what to do about it? Here's the best pic I could get.

TLM4x4

Large Fish
Jul 21, 2005
southern oregon coast
Isnt that dropsy?

Bloated appearence with scales that stick out like a pine cone. Best viewed from above. Dropsy is not really a specific pathologic entity, it is to describe a general condition of fluid accumulation in the internal body cavity, which has many causes. Dropsy usually signals internal infection and multiple organ failure. It can be compared to ascites in humans in end stage kidney failure.

Lotus beat me to it lol

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
That's what I thought, I don't know if I can catch her though with all of the plants and driftwood in there.

Sorry though, I could have figured this out myself but I was freaked out because I had never seen anything like it, and I wanted to post right away. Then I started looking around and found it. Thanks again.

Do you think my other fish will be ok? Tomorrow is water change day, is there anything special I could do to reduce the chances of my other fish getting sick? This is my first disease in my big tank :( I guess its been a pretty good year though.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
When I've had fish with dropsy, it has been an isolated case (livebearers get it more often than other fish, it seems). I've never had a problem when a fish has died in the tank and I have taken it out as soon as I find it. If all your other fish seem OK, you can wait until she either dies, or is lethargic enough to catch.

I don't think it's necessarily a sign of disease in the tank, but you might want to keep an eye on your other fish.

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
She was pretty easy to catch so she is now in fishy heaven :( One of my other females is really big, but her scales aren't sticking out. I'll keep an eye on them though.

With dropsy, what kills them? I mean, would she have exploded if I left her in the tank, because she sure looked like she was going to. Or would I have just found her belly up? Just curious.

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Sorry about your platy MOsborne! That's an excellent pic of dropsy, by the way. We should refer people to that from now on if they suspect their fish have this affliction.

I recently noticed one of my cherry barbs coming down with this---although it was not nearly as bloated as yours! Anyway, the next morning I found my blue cray finishing off the last bits of it. :eek:
None of the other barbs were affected, and it was nice that the cray spared both myself and the fish the stress of having to net it out of the tank. ;)

Big Vine

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
It was the craziest thing I've ever seen! I had never seen that before, and didn't even know what 'dropsy' was. She was actually really easy to catch, probably because she was so big that she couldn't move very fast. I just hope the others don't get it. One of my other females is really big too, but no scales are sticking out.

Mods, feel free to use the pic if you want. If my camera was better it would have been a little clearer but you can definitely see the scales sticking out :eek:

Charlius

Medium Fish
Sep 18, 2005
Hi, MOsborne I just wanted you to know you're not alone! Currently, my favorite fish buddy has dropsy. At first, I couldn't really tell if he had it, now I'm definitely sure. He's certainly not as bloated as yours was in the picture though!

Anyway, this is what I'm doing now that may help you. I found some medicated food that I was referred to by a knowledgeable person. The stuff is called Metro Meds and is best taken when at the first signs of dropsy. I ordered the stuff a day ago and also added epsom salt to the tank. Hopefully, the epsom can reduce the swelling just a bit at least so my fishy buddy can survive at least till the medicated food gets here.

Anyway, you can get this stuff at http://www.goldfishconnection.com/

Also, you can try Medi-Gold, though I was told the Metro Med was a bit better. Everyone, pray for my success. I was actually thinking my guy was doomed, but was inspired into further action when I read about a successful severe dropsy case. I will update when new stuff happens.