My Plant Journal

Dec 23, 2005
Wisconsin
Update Everyone:)
I did some rearranging:rolleyes: added a flower pot and got another female German Blue Ram. Today I also got some Glosso! It took a long time seperating it from the bunch I got then planting it with tweezers. All of it is done so thats good. My ambulia has grown a little and the amazon sword is growing new leaves, same with the wisteria. Anyway here are the pics:
Full Tank Shot:

Ambulia:

Glosso:

Gloss from top of tank:

In the third picture, the one of the glosso, the glosso looks high off the substrate but after I took the picture I took my tweezers and put them back into the substrate.
Comments Welcome:D

Dec 23, 2005
Wisconsin
The Pot

GeraldTheMouse said:
Nice tank, but what is with that pot?
I picked up a female german blue ram last week. When Blue Rams spawn, the female looks for a flat surface to lay the eggs on. I've seen in pictures and I've read that a flower pot is a good option for them to lay eggs on. Thanks!

bigfoot150

Superstar Fish
Dec 17, 2003
Alameda, Ca
Visit site
One thing about rams is that they will breed on flat spot(rock, pots, etc) but will also dig themselves a little pit aswell to lay their eggs. I have had the pit method occur twice with my rams. I even have a small pot(smaller than the one you have) in their and they are rarely seen in there. On seeing this I believe they aren't really the cave spawning type. If you really want some cave spawners though look to kribs and apistos.

Lonewolfblue

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Wenatchee, WA
www.nw-wolf.com
As for mine, they dig a pit in my Eco Complete substrate and lay their eggs there. Wish they would spawn on a flat surface I provided, but they don't. At least mine isn't, lol.

But my female has an injury now, and don't think she's going to make it. Just remember one thing with your GBR's, if any of them get an injury, like a small chunk taken out of them by another fish, it's all downhill from there. Even if you QT and medicate them, they just seem to lose all their will to live. I lost 1 male due to my red tail shark, and now a female, the only female. So I've ordered a bunch more GBR's, 7 females and 3 males, as I'm hooked on breeding them, as well as Bolivians. And I've got some fry from both in my fry tank now.

Dec 23, 2005
Wisconsin
Sorry guys, I was on vacation the past week. When I came home today, I read the note that my aunt wrote. She took care of feeding the fish and frogs. Ha she loves feeding my frogs. But in the note it said my male GBR died on Monday. I had him since February. My female is all happy and in full color now because the male always harrassed her before.
As for the plants, all is good. The glosso is sending out more runners but really my take looks the same as when I left! I scrubbed the rock as it had MAJOR hair algae on it and now theres none in my tank:)
I will get pictures as my plants fill in more.

Dec 23, 2005
Wisconsin
Hey everyone! I got a couple plants 2 days ago and thought I should update my tank. I bought Green Hygrophila and Filgree Myriophyllum. I liked the green hygro because it covers up whats in back of it. So I put the green hygro in the back left corner to cover up the back. I bought the Filagree Myrio because I liked how it looked. I put some in both back corners. Here are the pictures.
Full Tank:

Right:

Middle:

Left:

Comments or Constructive Critism Welcome:D

tessalion

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2006
PA
Your tank looks really good. Your journal has been very helpful and has given me lots of good ideas for my future planted tank...especially seeing as you have the same fish in your tank that i plan on having :D (hope you dont mind if i steal some of your plant ideas...i really like the ambulia)

Is the lighting on this tank still 1.5 watts per gallon or did you change it at some point?

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2005
Wisconsin
Tessalion: Thanks and no I don't mind you taking my plant ideas lol. Yes the lighting is still 1.5 wpg.
Wow, After adding the DIY Co2 again last week, my plants are growing like crazy. Stay tuned for an update because I have a feeling my tank will be different!

Smalltank3

Large Fish
Dec 23, 2005
Wisconsin
Heres an update everyone!
The lower part of the Hygro was rotting away and had hair algae on it so I had to prune it off but luckily, I had 15-20 Healthy tops from it. So I replanted those.
I trimmed the F. Myriophyllum and also replanted those.
I found this awesome piece of driftwood and just had to put it in my tank. I went through the boiling process then popped it in my tank. I moved the Lily Bulb from the middle of my tank to the back left corner. I then put the driftwood where the Lily Bulb was. Here are some pictures:
Full Tank:

Driftwood:

Enjoy:D

Breene

Large Fish
Aug 1, 2006
Ohio
Please leave your poor tank be already! You re arange it every few days haha *BOUNCINGS

But realy it looks great. Im a fan of the driftwood you have in there now. Amazing for a first tank considering ive had numerous tanks and dont think Ive had a plant live for more than a month lol. And interesting frog he is dancing for the camera =P

Smalltank3

Large Fish
Dec 23, 2005
Wisconsin
Thanks!
Well, I found this piece of driftwood so I couldn't resist lol. I like how my tank is right now. So don't plan on seeing it being rerarranged. I try to see what looks best when I move stuff around lol.