My Plant Journal

Dec 23, 2005
Wisconsin
2 weeks and a lot of changes

3-23-06: Plants Galore
First off, there is some very good news. My brother is converting to brackish and I am getting all of his plants!
Okay here we go. I ripped off the java moss off the driftwood so there is no more driftwood in the tank. My java serves as a carpet plant. It has attached itself to the gravel so it stays in one spot.Thank you!:rolleyes: Next, my water lilly has grown leaves and continues to grow. Its roots are very long. I bunched up my anacharis and I am letting it float until I get all my plants from my brother. The plants I am receiving from him are the following:
2 Sprouted Lilly Bulbs
2 Bunches of Moneywort
3 Sprouted Aponogeton Bulbs
More java moss yayyyyyy!!!!!*BOUNCINGS
In my tank right now I have the green hedge,anacharis, 1 sprouted lilly bulb and java moss.
Here is what I am going to do with all these plants. I am going to put the moneywort on the left side towards the back so it covers up my filter. The 3 water lillies are going to be side by side in the back extending from my filter intake to my heater. The Aponogeton bulbs are going to be right in front of the water lillies in the middle of my tank. The java moss will stretch from my left side and go close to the end of the right side. The java moss will go in front of the aponogeton crispus. The green hege will be leaning on the front side all across the front in front of the java moss. lol a lot of fronts! The anacharis will be bunched together and go at the end of the java moss on the right side covering my heater and air pump.
If that was all confusing to you and can't picture it don't worry. Once I have all the plants settled in I will take plenty of pictures!

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2005
Wisconsin
Pictures! 3-25-06

3-25-06: More and More Plants
I received all of my plants from my brother today. I got 2 sprouted aponogeton crispus, 1 sprouted lilly bulb, a bunch of moneywort. Here is a full tank shot:

The green hedge is in front of the java moss in the center of my tank. On left front to middle side of the tank I put the two aponogeton crispus. Here is a pic:

Behind the aponogeton crispus is the moneywort. Here is a pic of it:

On the right side of the java moss and green bog plant and in front of my heater and pump is the anacharis. I had a huge hair algae problem with my anacharis and managed to throw away all of those pieces and come up with propogated healthy stalks of it. Here is a pic:

Behind the java moss are my 2 sprouted lilly bulbs. They will grow and I will let them grow so they grow to the top. In this pic, the one farthest back is my oldest one and the one just sprouted is the one I got from my brother. Here is the pic:

Well that is my update for you guys. I hope you like what I've done with my tank. I plan on making a DIY Co2 soon and getting Flourish Iron. I will keep you updated with my tank.*SUNSMILE*

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2005
Wisconsin
3-26-06: Watersprite
Thanks Big Vine, my brother just bought a bunch of plants today and he had to propogate his watersprite, so he gave some to me. Here is a pic:

If you're wondering what those white things are by my heater in this pic they are the bubbles from my pump.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2005
Wisconsin
Ya I know and this is kind of weird but I only have 1.5 watts per gallon, no ferts and no Co2! I am planning on making a DIY Co2 soon, so stay tuned! Thanks for the comment and I'm glad they are alive and nice looking like you said.

Dec 23, 2005
Wisconsin
3-26-06: Plants=Gone
Ugh!Well the aponogeton crispus is gone and so is the moneywort. My brother took them back and I got my money back. I now have everything minus the moneywort and aponogeton(obviously). I have the watersprite seperated in the back behind the java moss so it will grow and I will propogate it to be my background plant. The lilly bulb is on the left where the moneywort and aponogeton used to be. I the I am going the move the lilly bulb to the front left where the aponogeton was and put something in back where the moneywort was. I was thinking about getting ambulia because when I was at my LFS today they had it there and it looked pretty cool. A lot of changes in 2 days really brings frustration:( That is what happened over the last hour so you guys know what happened.

Last edited:

Smalltank3

Large Fish
Dec 23, 2005
Wisconsin
4-02-06: Gravel out, Schultz Aquatic Soil in
I took the water sprite out about a week ago. I then bought Schultz Aquatic soil, a rock and a bunch of wisteria. Right now this is all I have for plants right now: Cabomba, Anacharis and Wisteria. The rock is a tan colored with blue on one side of it. I put the blue side in the front because it looks very cool. My anacharis had all of its leaves algae infected and dead except for one stalk. I now have anacharis stems with no leaves. Hopefully the leaves will grow. I have 1 stem of cabomba and just stuck it in my tank to see if it will grow. That will go in the back right corner to cover my airstone and pump. My tank has cleared up enough to take some pictures so here they are:
Full Tank Shot

Rock with Wisteria

Last edited:

tubbs24

Large Fish
Jan 29, 2006
USA
Lookin' good! the new substrate with the rock gives it a more "natural" look to the tank...I like it so far. Can't wait to see what it looks like with the anacharis fully grown!

Tubbs

Smalltank3

Large Fish
Dec 23, 2005
Wisconsin
4-06-06: DIY Co2
Thanks Tubbs, I hope my anacharis actually does fully grow. I remember I got the big healthy bunch of it but now since the hair algae disaster, I'm down to 7( 1 healty 6 half dead) stalks:( My Wisteria is doing great with no dying off. I did set up my DIY Co2 and it is working! Another good treat for my plants. Just a little update to keep you guys up to date.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2005
Wisconsin
4-10-06: New Growth
Well after the past few days I've noticed some new growth on a cabomba stem that I put in last week. I was very excited to see it was growing. The DIY Co2 is working great. Here are the pics:
Full Tank:

Cabomba New Growth:

Dec 23, 2005
Wisconsin
Well I still do have the driftwood piece but I took it out because it took up way too much room. I had to put it on a slate and the slate was pretty big. I'm heading for a heavily planted tank so I need all the room I can get.

Shadypat, I plan on letting my cabomba to grow, so the right side will be taken care of. I was thinking on getting ambulia a couple of weeks ago and I have decided to get it. It will go to the left of my wisteria to cover my back left side. I have my anachris grow on the left side against the wall. to fill in front of the ambulia, left of the rock, and right of the anachris, I will put a melon sword. For a carpet, a plan on getting dwarf hairgrass.

Dec 23, 2005
Wisconsin
LFS Trip!

4-17-06: Ambulia and Aponogeton!
Well, today I went to my LFS hoping to get Asian Ambulia, some more Anachris, and Melon Sword. The Melon sword I say was way over priced going at 7 bucks for a small melon sword! The Asian Ambulia and Anachris however, I could afford. I was also planning on get 2 ADFs and my lfs had them so I got two with some bloodworms.

I recently got aponogeton crispus for some of the wisteria.

For my stocking as of so far I have this:
4 Mickey Mouse Platies
2 Sailfin Mollies
2 ADF
1 German Blue Ram
For my fish I plan on geting 1 oto as the algae build up on my wall seems to be getting worse even after scrubbing my wall.
Plants:
Ambulia
Anachris
Aponogeton Crispus
Cabomba
Wisteria
As of everything stocking wise with the exception of the oto, I am DONE! Thanks for all your comments on my tank so far as it pushed me to make my tank better and better. My stem of cabomba is doing great. In the pictures there is a gap between the two ambulia's and thats where the cabomba is.
For the best part, the pictures!

ADF's( I love them :D)

I'll keep you updated:)

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2005
Wisconsin
Trim

4-19-06: Trim
Well, yesterday when I added the ambulia and the anachris, the ambulia wasn't touching the surface of the water. This morning it was. I trimmed that and my anachris. My brother's cabomba wasn't doing so good in his tank so he decided to give what he had left of it to me since the little stem I had was doing really good. Everything is growing fast! Here are the pictures:
Full tank shot

Right Side

Center

Left Side

As you can see in some of my pics I have 4 harlequin rasboras. These were from my bros 5g. He put his fry in there so when they are big enough so they won't fit in the rasboras mouth the rasboras are going back in the 5g. They will only be in my tank for only 1 more week. Comments welcome:D