My new Knight Goby!

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
I came upon a real find (here in Maine at least :rolleyes: ) at a LFS this weekend...a knight goby! I've been wanting one for my brackish tank for a long time. He seems to be fitting in really well, most of the evening last night was spent acclimating him to brackish (he was in FW at the store) and tonight he ate a load of frozen krill! He gets along fine with his tankmates, the puffers nipped at him last night a bit, but they do that with any new fish in the tank. Today they are all ignoring each other.

I apologize for my pics (I can't get good photos for the life of me!!) but here he is!

Last edited:

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
From what I have read, they do best in mild brackish water for the duration of their lives.

Of course, for every website that says they are Brackish, there are just as many that say they are a freshwater fish. ;) I keep my brackish tank at about 1.008 salinity so I think he'll be fine.

Jul 19, 2007
clemson,sc
beautiful goby, i often read about brackish fish and sometimes i too find as many sites that say they can live in freshwater to the other sites that say brackish...for this goby would it be possible to continue to have him in freshwater? just a thought

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
I'm really not sure. Many sites vehemetly say it's FW, and as many others vehemently say it's BW.

This is the site I have absorbed a lot from: A fishkeepers guide to gobies | Practical Fishkeeping magazine
and it says:

The Knight goby, Stigmatogobius sadanundio, is a commonly available species from Asia and found in both fresh and brackish waters. They will fare best in aquaria if kept in lightly brackish water. If kept in freshwater, it should be hard and alkaline.
I think - because of the regions they are from - that I prefer to keep it in brackish. But that's just my preference. (Many people staunchly declare that Figure 8 Puffers should be in FW, too...and I don't agree with that)

I tend to try to mimic an Brackish River setup in my tank, lots of water movement with power heads and I fluctuate their salinity to almost freshwater to the maximum of 1.012 salinity. 75% of the time - they are in 1.008 salinity, and the other 25% of the time I am fluctuating it.

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
That was a great article Kelly! Thanks for sharing!

I don't see myself ever really doing a Brackish tank, but I intend to keep at least one Goby in my SW tank. Probably a Clown Goby (Citrinis)