My Brackish 46 Bowfront

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Just wanted to share a pic of my tank. Tell me what you think. Occupants are 2 Figure 8 Puffers, 1 Orange Chromide, 2 Olive Nerite snails. The Olive Nerites are laying eggs all over, but they don't hatch. The bubbler is for the puffers to play in :)

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
That looks FABULOUS! *SUNSMILE*
It's a perfect puffer playground with all the rockwork and nooks and crannies. Is there a puffer in the bubble stream in that pic?

I'm just curious, it looks like you have two filters on it, what do you use for filters?

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Thanks! :D
Yes Kelly that IS a puffer in the bubble stream. They like swimming through and riding the bubbles.
When I got rid of my Mono and Scat I was going to get rid of the chromide too because I was afraid of what might happen putting them together, but at the last minute I decided to keep him and I'm glad I did! There have been no aggression issues at all. In fact Mr. Big Bad Cichlid seems a little afraid of the puffers, but they leave him alone. If I ever find the right size healthy F8's around here I'd like to add at least one more, maybe 2. The only ones I have seen have been adults.
Those are 2 Whisper 60 filters.
I've read that the nerites are pretty difficult to raise in home aquariums. Once they hatch they go through a free swimming stage and it's hard to get them enough nutrients in a typical 'clean' aquarium so they rarely make it past that stage. Feeding insuforia helps, I guess. Also, unlike most snails they have a defined sex....so I might not have a male and female, I might just have 2 females. The eggs are hard and crusty on the glass and I agree they are hard to get off. I scraped a couple by accident and they kind of 'pop' :eek:
Maybe one of these days I'll set them up in my 2.5gal and see if I can make babies - that would be a fun project. :D

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
Nice Limi, I am thinking about getting a few Orange Chromides for the BB colony tank hubby wants, I think just the gobies would be kinda boring, so I'm going to try these guys... got any better pics of the little guy?

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
VirgoWolf said:
Nice Limi, I am thinking about getting a few Orange Chromides for the BB colony tank hubby wants, I think just the gobies would be kinda boring, so I'm going to try these guys... got any better pics of the little guy?
Well Virgo....only took me 6 months but here ya go...lol.

Actually I put my new much brighter light on and suddenly it's much easier to snap a few pics :) STILL haven't found any Chromides for sale though...so mine is still a loner.

I've moved a few rocks around but my tank basically looks the same. Unfortuantly for these guys I am soon moving them temporarily into a 29gal because this 46 is going reef :D

Last edited:

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
Don't know how I missed this! LOL Nice pics! :) I think it'll be a while before we go Brackish again though, hubby has decided while he loves gobies, he would rather have Discus, LOL. I think I liked it better when he wanted a 20gal with $2 fish rather than a 120gal with $50 fish LOL, but then again, his Dicus,... my rams... it all works out in the end LOL.

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Pure said:
Limi I just upped my GSP tank to marine conditions as he is pushing 4 inches now. I tell ya what, his colors have never looked better.
:D Nice. Did you get rid of the F8's? Once I'm done working on the 46, I'm going to set him up in his own tank. His SG is a little low for his size....mostly to benefit the Chromide and F8. I keep it about 1.010. I've had it up to 1.014, but I'm afraid to go much higher with the chromide.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Yeah I did, he started beating the crap out of them. So they were given to a friend. He now is truly master of his tank and pouts if I don't pay him attention when I'm in the room.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
o i love the tank!
closest i ever camr to brackish was the toadfish -.-

so is it just a misconception about puffers being kept together? i know people do the DPs but the F8's i thought were touchier about thier territories

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Generally F8's can be kept with their own kind....provided the tank is large enough to accomodate each puffer and there are sufficient decorations to break up lines of sight. F8's seem to be one of the lesser aggressive puffers....even more so then the DP's. Green Spotted Puffers are usually recommended as species only as they can be mean little buggers. My GSP and F8 get along fine for now, but my gsp is little more then a baby. I'll have to separate them soon. That and my GSP had an injury when I first got him that he recovered from and ever since then he's seemed a little "Der der der" if you know what I mean.