My Betta Is Sick. HELP!

Sep 8, 2010
I bought a male betta fish three months ago, and he was healthy up until last week. He started becoming lethargic, either lying at the bottom of his tank or suspending himself vertically in the water. My fish started eating less until he stopped eating altogether for a day or so. I also noticed that he was breathing through his mouth. I tried changing the water twice, but I might have made the situation worse because of the fluctuation in water temperature.

I have fed him pellets and peas sparingly for the past two days, and I have noticed a little more activity. However, there seems to be very little feces in his tank. Is it possible that he has swim bladder or constipation? Or is it a parasite? I can't seem to tell. If it is a parasite, I would like to get him medication, but I don't know what kind would be best.

I am completely new to the fish world, and do not know what to do. Please help!

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
research how to change water correctly, and read some guides on betta keeping online. also read up on cycling an aquarium and what happens during a cycle. if you answer laura's questions, we can help you narrow down the issues with your new betta fish.
welcome to the forum :)

Sep 8, 2010
More information

Thank you for the welcome! My tank is only a 1/2 gallon, which I now realize is pathetically small. (The pet store manager, who shall remain nameless convinced me at the time that this was acceptable. Hah!) There is no heater or filter. However, I have been consistently doing a full water change twice a week. I used a multi-test strip and the nitrate and nitrite levels appeared safe and the pH was in the normal range. However, the hardness and alkalinity levels were low, but I haven't done anything to address that.

As soon as my betta starts getting better, I would like to get a much larger tank, with a filter and heater. Any suggestions as to what type of filter to get? I read bettas should have one with an adjustable flow.

I have read a betta book and have gone through several resources online. Unfortunately, some of the information conflicts, making it difficult for a newcomer like me to sort through facts and falsehoods. That's where I am hoping you guys can come in *thumbsups

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Yikes, a 1/2 gallon? Okay honey, you can't wait for your betta to get better - it's dying. The first thing you do immediately is go to your local fish store and buy a 3-5g starter tank with heater and filter.
I have no idea where you live, how old you are, how much money you have, but you seem to care for your betta. So get a bigger tank - the kits are usually the least expensive route. Doesn't matter what kind of filter it comes with - you can always jerry-rig it with sponges or T-valves to adjust the flow.
Keep the water and decor you currently have in your betta bowl. You will want to add that to the bigger tank to assist with the bacteria cycle, which you don't have going on because you are changing the water out of the bowl twice a week.
Ask your fish store if they will give you a dirty filter sponge or a scoop of mucky gravel from one of their established **healthy** fish tanks. This has good bacteria on it that will help get the cycle going (we can explain what the bacteria cycle is later). If you can, buy a couple of gunky live plants - like java moss - which also has the good bacteria and will help with the ammonia levels.
If you can afford it at the same time, please also buy liquid test kits to test your water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrates. The strips aren't very reliable, and the most important water tests are for those three - pH, kH, et. al. are secondary.
Finally, do you use any water conditioner when you add the new water? A kind of dechlorinator? If you aren't, that's also causing problems. You must use something, and many of us here recommend Prime - it will take chlorine and chloramine out of your tap water, plus helps add a bit of a destressor for fish.
Sorry if this seems overwhelming or that I'm giving you a 'talking-to' - not that at all! We've all been new to fishkeeping at some point and made bad mistakes. I want your betta to pull through!
And please keep the questions coming . . . . .
Cheers,
Laura

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
Also, your readings should be 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and between 0 and 20 nitrate. 0 nitrate means your tank is not cycled. I agree with everything lauraf has said. You need a bigger tank or your fish will never get better. I recommend the 5 gallon Tetra Starter Kit. You can buy it at Wal*Mart for about $30. A small heater is only $15.

Sep 8, 2010
Thank you all for the advice! I am going to get the Tetra 5 gallon starter kit. Laura, since you encouraged me to keep the questions coming, here are a few more..Hope you don't mind!

-How often should I change the water with a 5 gallon tank?

-What is the bacteria cycle?

-What kind of diet do you recommend? I am currently only feeding my fish pellets, with an occasional pea. He doesn't seem to like flake food!

Thanks again!

Tiffany

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Hi Tiffany:
Great news! A 5g is a super home for a betta, and once it is established, you can even add a couple other critters. The bacteria cycle is the process by which toxic ammonia (produced from fish poop and uneaten food) is converted into toxic nitrites into safe nitrates. Nitrates at high levels are still dangerous, but regular water changes keep the nitrates low enough. Here's a link to explain how to cycle your new tank: The Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle
I recommend weekly water changes - in a tank that's only 5g, big changes to the bateria balance can happen quickly. Weekly water changes also make it easy to remember - just think, it's Sunday, before I call my grandma at 5pm I do my water change. It doesn't take much time.
Once your tank is established, you should take out about 30% of your water if not more. The purpose, remember, is keeping the nitrates at a safe level. This is why you need to buy a test kit. Depending on what's in a tank and how much its critters are being fed, one may need to do bigger and more frequent water changes.
Most fish love non-processed foods such as live or frozen bloodworms. Mine get pellets or flakes daily and frozen (but thawed in warm water) bloodworms once or twice a week as a treat :)

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
make sure the water temp stays around79F ALL day. no fluctuations that can stress a betta. for this the tank needs to have a good heater and a regular glass thermometer.
the low alkalinity or low hardness of the water is a non issue with bettas. they like those conditions anyway and as long as you can keep those conditions from fluctuating (by using the same source of water, if tap water then condition it with dechlorinating liquid such as Seachem Prime)