1 Bristle nose pleco

a selection of live plants

let me know what you all think

Attachments

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
errm you do realize that there should only be 1-2 goldfish in there right? and really nothing else if youre a goldfish enthusiast. Comet cant stay in here, it needs a pond. you knew that. But otherwise you did a good job with it it looks nice.

car1b

Small Fish
Feb 13, 2011
united kingdom (manchester)
errm you do realize that there should only be 1-2 goldfish in there right? and really nothing else if youre a goldfish enthusiast. Comet cant stay in here, it needs a pond. you knew that. But otherwise you did a good job with it it looks nice.
why should i have only a couple of goldfish in there?
and what makes you say i shouldn't have the comet in there ?
cheers mate glad you like :D

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
why should i have only a couple of goldfish in there?
and what makes you say i shouldn't have the comet in there ?
cheers mate glad you like :D
Fancy goldfish get to be 6-8" long and are HUGE poopers (I have ONE in my 29gal and I'm running two large filters, plus doing weekly, and sometimes bi-weekly, water changes just to keep on top of my parameters). Comet goldfish get to be 12"+ and are even bigger poopers than fancies. They also are extremely active swimmers. Honestly, they don't belong in anything less than a pond, IMO. The rule of thumb for goldfish is 20 gallons for the first goldfish and 10-20 gallons per goldfish after that.
Example: My friend and I are planning a 55 gallon coldwater community. In it we are planning to have two ryukin goldfish (grow to around 6" or so), 6 rose danios, 6 white cloud mountain minnows (three gold and three regular), and two hillstream loaches. That's it. In a 55 gallon tank. And even then we're planning on seriously overfiltering the tank. Just with TWO goldfish in there.

car1b

Small Fish
Feb 13, 2011
Fancy goldfish get to be 6-8" long and are HUGE poopers (I have ONE in my 29gal and I'm running two large filters, plus doing weekly, and sometimes bi-weekly, water changes just to keep on top of my parameters). Comet goldfish get to be 12"+ and are even bigger poopers than fancies. They also are extremely active swimmers. Honestly, they don't belong in anything less than a pond, IMO. The rule of thumb for goldfish is 20 gallons for the first goldfish and 10-20 gallons per goldfish after that.
Example: My friend and I are planning a 55 gallon coldwater community. In it we are planning to have two ryukin goldfish (grow to around 6" or so), 6 rose danios, 6 white cloud mountain minnows (three gold and three regular), and two hillstream loaches. That's it. In a 55 gallon tank. And even then we're planning on seriously overfiltering the tank. Just with TWO goldfish in there.

thats weird that you should say that lol (about them being messy) because obviously like you seen on the photo's i got a fair few and they arn't at all messy i only have to change the water once every week/ 2 weeks.......
but thank you i will be baring what you said in mind about them and i appreciate your advice.......

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
sometimes the mess part isnt always visible. they give off ammonia like there is no tomorrow and the smaller the tank and the more goldfish there are the more strained the bacterial filtration will be.

Here is a word from someone:
"A four foot tank is mandatory for comets and shubunkins, which are better suited to outdoor ponds than indoor aquaria in the long run. A single fancy goldfish such as a black moor, oranda, ryukin, pearlscale, etc. can be housed in a tank 30 inches long (typically a 29 gallon or 20 gallon long, or 114 liter tank) but keep in mind, this is the absolute minimum size.You should always aim for bigger with goldfish! There are two primary reasons for this:<br style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; "> Dilution of metabolic wastes. Goldfish have a different digestive system than most fish - they lack stomachs, for one thing. They produce copious amounts of ammonia for their size, not to mention numerous poos, to put it gently. A bigger tank (with ample filtration) goes a long way towards keeping the substrate tidy and the water healthy. Zero ammonia and nitrites is a must in any aquarium, and an undersized goldfish tank will be prone to ammonia spikes.<br style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; "><br style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; ">
 Space. Goldfish are both active and social - a combination that suggests this species needs serious space! Goldfish will benefit from the addition of tankmates of its own kind. (Take care not to mix the more delicate fancies, such as celestials and orandas, with boisterous comets or shubunkins.) A single goldfish is preferable only when the size of the tank does not allow for more than one to be housed. Goldfish take advantage of all levels of the water column (top, middle, bottom) so they appreciate lots of open swimming areas. A long tank is vastly preferable to a tall tank because of the improved gaseous exchange it affords."

And here is a great link you should check out:
Goldfish 101: Goldfish May Be Popular, And They May Be Cheap, But That Doesn't Make Them Easy Aquarium Fish

car1b

Small Fish
Feb 13, 2011
i understand where you are coming from........
but everytime i have had my water tested by my local fish shops the levels in the water have all been ok....
when you say ample filtration how ample do you mean?
and as for them being in a pond i do already have 10+ fish out in my pond with my terrapins so cant really go overfilling it (if you catch my drift)
my local fish shops have seen the tank and they have all said its ok ie not overpopulated
just out of interest how bigger tank would you have for my set-up ?

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Ample filtration in the case of goldfish means turning over AT LEAST ten times the volume of the tank per hour (so on a 43 gallon, you'd need a filter with a minimum 430 gallons per hour turnover). However, I've found that the more filtration you have, the better it is. I currently have 370 gallons per hour being turned over in my 29gal coldwater tank (the one with the single ryukin) and I honestly wish I had better filtration. In the case of a big goldfish tank, I'd go with a canister filter rated for about twice the size tank you have.

To house all the fish you have in your tank currently (not including the comet because it really does belong in a pond), I would say an absolute bare minimum 100 gallon tank would be needed. I'd personally go for something more along the lines of a 125 gallon or so, though.

Oct 29, 2010
car1b, fish stores don't always tell the truth about tank stocking. If you want to find out for sure if we're telling the truth, you should look into purchasing a water test kit, which should cost around 20$, or at minimum just an ammonia test kit.

Ammonia is the product of fish waste which is extremely toxic to them. Goldies produce a ton of this, which is why the posters are saying your tank is probably full of it, even without visible waste.

So, if you'd like to test, that would let you know for sure if your fish are living in a healthy, safe environment, or whether you need to change it :)

car1b

Small Fish
Feb 13, 2011
i understand that fish stores might not tell the truth completely but as i have previously said everytime the water has been tested everything has comeback fine...

but as i have already said before i appreciate all feedback