Fishdad's Reef Setup

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
lol i don't think you'll have to be that drastic with a nereid worm. but childrens dreams on a stick might be a good backup plan xD

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Just bought and used magnesium and calcium test kits. Bot came in at virtually undetectable levels. I was under the impression that a good quality salt mix (red sea coral pro) would take care of those things for me. Perhaps I am mistaken?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
you likely made some error with the tests or the kits are expired. try testing the water after the cycle is finished and your water chemistry is normal. i know cycles can mess with water testing results...but not to that degree.

you are guaranteed to have good calcium and magnesium levels if you used salt for marine tanks and mixed to 1.025SG. I wouldn't worry about it anyway. soft corals don't care. only once you get to LPS, SPS and clams should you worry more about those parameters.
that's just what i was thinking.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
I tested them twice and got the same results. Hopefully its just the cycle interfering with them like you said. I'm impatient, I wanted to know what those levels were. Thanks Newman.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Yeah, that's a good idea. These red sea kits are pretty complicated... uses titration... definitely a learning curve after using the api kits for so long.

Ammonia 0, nitrite 1.0

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
I'm betting its either an operator error or the cycle is interfering in some way. Not likely that both kits would be faulty and as you said, Red Sea seems to make quality products.

Any advice on brown algae? I remember getting it in new freshwater set ups and eventually went away. Is this the same case with saltwater?

Feb 27, 2009
Diatoms are very common to start out (wait till you get to the slime and hair algae stages!). As in freshwater, it indicates an imbalance in light/nutrients for the beneficial bacteria and CUC present. Do you see any nitrates yet?

Cure is water changes and time. Nothing to worry about really, it will resolve itself with proper maintenance.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Yeah, lots.
Nitrate - 40
Nitrite - between 2 and 5

My plan for nitrates is a bio pellet reactor. I can get one for about $100 from my lfs. They claim their reactors keep their nitrates at 0 and phosphates very low as well. I plan on plumbing the reactor directly into the skimmer - I've heard this is the preferred method b/c the skimmer will remove what the reactor leaves behind that would otherwise encourage other algae outbreaks.

Water changes as well, but I understand that smaller changes are better. My plan was 15% every two weeks.

How's that sound?

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Ok, figured out what was wrong with the Cal and Mag test. As assumed - operator error. I was reading the results backwards. For what its worth Cal is around 500 and Mag is around 1500.