Fishdad's Reef Setup

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Well speaking of clean up crew, today I noticed a very startling sight. A 4 inch long worm crawling in and out of my live rock. He was grey and nasty looking. After some research I think it may be some sort of bristle worm but can't be sure. It didn't really have the distinctive "bristles", but did look like it had small whitish nubs for legs. Or just really small bristles. I grabbed a pair of pliers to remove him but he disappeared. Seams like people are very split on the benefits of these things as some can be particularly harmful to a reef. I couldn't really identify it online and it seems most are not grey like mine. If you guys have any thoughts on this I'd love to hear them.

Its safe to say I will be using gloves from now on when I put my hand in the tank.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
here is a site to help you ID it.
Live Rock Hitch Hikers
it doesn't sound like one of the more common bristleworms we get. you will see tons of orange-tan ones. those are good detritus eaters. and they clean up extra food. i hope to god you do not have a bobbit worm >_<
On that site, Eurythoe complanata is the species you are most likely to see in your tank. numbering in the hundreds-thousands in a mature reef system.

Last edited:

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
If I had to pick one, it looked closest to the Nereids. This guy was solid grey, still haven't really seen any like him.

Good Lord, I don't think its a bobbit worm. They look like the worms from Tremors.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I will say that although I really have never actually considered a reef tank all the stories and pictures of worms has completely cured me! That Bobbett worm is one ugly creature, but there were also other very snake like ones that would give me nightmares!

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
This is the closest I could find. Mine had a slimmer body and I didn't notice the red-brown on the legs. The head is pretty close, kind of boxy, I did not notice any antennae.

Nereis_brandti2sDLC2005.jpg

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
I will say that although I really have never actually considered a reef tank all the stories and pictures of worms has completely cured me! That Bobbett worm is one ugly creature, but there were also other very snake like ones that would give me nightmares!
Its a good thing my wife is finding out about this after the fact.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
you can try to bait it out at night and snag it for ID purposes? then if you find out its harmful you can re-home it...somewhere...not the toilet or anything...

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Hah, yeah somewhere ELSE. That thing looked like it came from a nightmare. I'll research baiting methods.

Anyone here know anything about Nerieds? Not much info online about them. Some say good, some say bad. Can't get a clear answer.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
lol
anyway i used to have a small one in my 3 gal pico. he sat in the sand and ate detritus. he was white though so definitely different nereid species. chances are your's is ok. how big was he? 3-4" or more?

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Alright, just found out that ragworms and nereids are the same thing. I also just found out that ragworms make cocoon-like webbing to catch food. Well I have that webbing on my live rock. I thought is was die off rotting away, but this is too coincidental. I think it can be 90% narrowed to a ragworm or nereid. What precautions, if any, should I take? I'm leaning towards find it and destroy it.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Here are his webs of evil... They are new this morning.
007.jpg 009.jpg

I also noticed little reddish tentacle things sticking out of the rock, when I went near them w/ the scrubber they disappeared immediately into the rock. Really fast. I only saw maybe a quarter inch of them... could those be beneficial bristle worms?

Last edited:

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
I didn't read that as "tentacles" at first. Much happier with my second take on it.

Great work FD!! Knowing nothing about marine setups, I caught a segment on building a reef tank on "How it's Made on the Discovery channel I believe. Really cool. The guy setup a bow-front with a good sized sump underneath in the stand.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
I didn't read that as "tentacles" at first. Much happier with my second take on it.

Great work FD!! Knowing nothing about marine setups, I caught a segment on building a reef tank on "How it's Made on the Discovery channel I believe. Really cool. The guy setup a bow-front with a good sized sump underneath in the stand.
Hahah, that's awesome. I had to go back and make sure I didn't get bit by spell check. Thanks Freshy.

By the way, I think they might be feather dusters.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
yea the little red guys are feather duster worms. harmless and cool.

the webbing may be sponges but if it's the nereid's doing, i think its fine. sounds like he eats pods and other detritus that settles on the web. if you happen to see him again or can bait him out (make a trap!) try to ID him for sure.I'd be interested in seeing a pic of the worm.

and yes all bristleworms (polychaetes) have those sharp setae (the bristles) on their sides. some have small ones that are hard to see. some look like feathers. they use them as legs to move around and stay anchored if you are pulling them out of a rock (do not do this). as always wear gloves to avoid getting stung. some of the most common worms - the species i mentioned in a post above are called fire worms. definitely not for nothing. their stings will burn for sure. do not handle bare handed lol.