crayfish

Jan 24, 2006
hey this is my first post, just wanted to say hello to everyone.

i also got fish but this is my brown cray that i also got

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
fishlover1,

I'm surprised no one has replied in this thread yet! Your crayfish looks good...
What kind of a setup do you have it in? What size of tank, etc.? Any fish in there with him...any plans to put fish in there?

I've got my little blue guy (see avatar) in a 3 gallon tank, but was thinking of gradually adding in the 5 cherry barbs from my 12 gallon tank. I know he'll probably eat them at some point, but I just wanna free up some space in the 12 gal. so I can put something else in there.
What do you think?

Have you fed your crayfish any live specimens yet...lol?

Big Vine

fishlover1

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2006
I've got my little blue guy (see avatar) in a 3 gallon tank, but was thinking of gradually adding in the 5 cherry barbs from my 12 gallon tank. I know he'll probably eat them at some point, but I just wanna free up some space in the 12 gal. so I can put something else in there.
What do you think?

Have you fed your crayfish any live specimens yet...lol?

Big Vine
lol i gave it back to petland but heres how i had it.
i had in a 15 gal with a immunis(smaller less agressive cray and light blue)and one mourning i found him in the other side of the divider and my immunis dead, he was REALLY agressive. i had a filter(HOB) and thats it, just rocks and plants in there. i couldent put anything in the tank because he would eat them in a hurry,the only fishes you can get away with is like tetras and guppies you kno FAST fish. i bought 2 fedders and put them in the tank and in less then 5 mins they were gone he smashed one so hard you can see the fishes eyes popping out, those claws dont play. the by the look of your cray claws i think its a alleni which is the same i had but different color(goto bluecrayfish.com its a REALLY good forum where you can find out everything you need on your cray) another thing is your tank is too small it should be atleast 10gal for one that size. goto bluecrayfish.com and you can find out your cray specie. this was my immunis b4 it was killed:
eating here moulted shell

and the tank:

BAD BOY

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
fishlover1,

Wow...thanks for the info. and the wonderful pics.

So that orange-colored guy in the bottom pic is the one that ate the immunis? That's not the same one that is shown in your first post in this thread, is it---you said you took that orangier one back to the LFS, right?

So my 3 gallon is too small? Figured it might be. :eek:

My avatar pic is an extreme close-up, and my little blue is actually only about 2 to 3 inches in length at the moment. He can grow up to about 6 (so I've read and been told).
Think I could keep him in the 3 gallon until he gets a bit bigger, or is it necessary to move him to the 12 right away?

The problem is that the 12 already has 4 little cories and 2 shrimp in there...which I'm sure the cray will devour. Not to mention a couple snails...Will he eat them too (cracking through shells and all)? :eek: They're each about an inch/inch-and-a-half in diameter.

How about this?
Maybe I should just feed the cherry barbs to the cray, then swap the cray with the cories, shrimp, (and possibly the snails) from the 12 gallon tank.
That would then give me the option of sort of "starting over" with species that will more likely survive alongside the crayfish.

Then again, that's over-loading the 3 gallon tank...Maybe I could leave the cories in the 12 gal. and see if they can manage to elude the cray---if not, then tough luck for them, I suppose.
That way I could just move the shrimp and the snails to the 3 gallon...would that allow me room for any fish in the 3 gallon tank?

So many things to consider...Argghhh...:mad:

Any suggestions? :confused:

Ahem...hehe...suggestions aside from telling me to go buy a bigger tank please. Lol.

Big Vine

Last edited:

fishlover1

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2006
yea its the same cray is just that when he moulted his claws got blue also when hes out of the water the camera changes his color alittle.
i dont have any more crays. yes your cray will go after you shrimp and cories and most likely catch them because the shrimp cant swim and the cories will eventually get tired of running and get eatin. did you goto bluecrayfish.com and join the forum?the only thing i can think of is like you said put him in the 12 gal and risking your other fish or just leave him where he is until you can get another tank or make space in your 12 gal.the forum will help you alot trust me.

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
fishlover1,

Thanks for the tips. I checked out that site and forum you mentioned---I've actually read through a lot of the site info. before, but never really did take notice of the forum sections until you pointed it out. Lots of good info. I probably will join up there at some point.

Mine's definitely a Procambarus alleni.

Will the cray grow to "full size" in the 3 gallon tank, or will his growth be significantly stunted (i.e. as would be the case with sticking a large-sized adult fish into a small tank) because of the fact that it's such a small living space?

My plan for the moment is to try my hand at keeping and breeding platies again. I'll move the 5 cherry barbs to the cray tank (whether or not they get eaten is up to the cray)...or possibly take them to the LFS.

That will give me room in the 12 gallon for 4 platies (1 male; 3 females).

The 3 gallon will then serve as a fry-rearing tank. Deformed platies will immediately become feeders for the cray.

Thanks for the help.
Big Vine

Last edited:

fishlover1

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2006
it will probably grow to full size but wont feel comfortable. uhmmm what do you mean by deformed fish?because if your fish has a disease and the cray is not immune to it then it might contract it by eating it. also p.alleni is what i had so yea it will eat any fish in there.

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Thanks again for the reply.

By "deformed" fish, I was specifically referring to any platy fry that I raise (in the future) that end up with any spinal curvature or similar deformities....Keeping in mind that these are fish which have been bred and raised in disease-free conditions, and have only been rendered to a "deformed" state as a result of genetic defects passed on at birth (primarily attributed to the intensive inbreeding of livebearers that has been commonplace in the fishkeeping industry).

Very wise of you to suggest keeping diseased fish away from the crayfish though. *thumbsups
That is why I never intend to put any "feeder fish" in with him. But, rather, any "feeders" that I refer to are healthy fish taken from my own tanks.

Big Vine

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Blue Crayfish Pics

Boy, when it rains, it pours!

I just finished posting about my shrimp moulting...And sure enough, so did my blue crayfish!

Here's some pics:

Pic # 1: shows cray + moult in 3 gallon Eclipse tank
Pic # 2: closeup of cray + moult

Thanks for all the comments. :)

Big Vine

Attachments

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Thanks yahoofishkeeper. :)

If you get a smaller one, it shouldn't need that big of a tank (at first). What kind of a setup do you have now? What sort of fish do you have in there?
Depending on this, you may even be able to put one in with your current tank-mates? It would be risky though. :eek:

Also...remember that this one's a Procambarus alleni male---probably the most aggressive blue crayfish you can get from the N. American varieties. A Procambarus immunis will be less aggressive...especially if it's a female, and thus it may be better-suited for a community tank.

Lastly, can you shell out the dough for this? Hehe. Maybe I over-paid a little, but this guy cost me $20.00---which may or may not be something your mom would approve of. :confused: ;)

If you're serious about it though, feel free to PM me anytime, or just keep posting right here, and I can help you with your crayfish 'adventure'...I'm no expert, but I've learned a lot lately, and I'd love to help. *thumbsups

Big Vine

i think i would need to get a new tank, i have a clown knife in my 29 gallon, and i am planning a DIY tank for him to move into. maybe i could buy one to put in there when his tank is done. i also have a 10 gallon dwarf puffer tank, no way i would risk my puffers for one of those! and i have a free 2.5 gallon, but that will most likely be a betta tank. plus, this could be an excuse to get another tank. how big? like a 10?

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Yup, if you don't wanna wait until the loach is moved into your DYI tank, then I can see why you would wanna get another one in which to house the cray...wouldn't want him feasting on your current tanks' inhabitants. :eek:

The size you get depends on what else (if anything) you wanna put with the crayfish. If you just want one crayfish to be in there alone, then a 10 gallon is ideal...smaller will work (you saw my pics of "Jericho"...that's his name...in the little 3 gallon tank, right?...There's still plenty of room for him at the moment; until he grows bigger), but the bigger, the better...of course. :rolleyes:

Getting a 10 gallon would give you more options in terms of adding other creatures in there with him, if you so choose.
You could add certain fish...some are less likely to be eaten by the cray than others. Some larger-sized apple snails would be good too...if you're into them at all.

I'll be able to tell you a lot more once his tank water stabilizes and I'm able to add in some cherry barbs with him.

Hope this helps.
Big Vine

cool. i asked my mom about getting another 10 and she said i have to clean my room first... uh-oh. LOL. where could i buy one? not a tank, i mean a blue cray fish? he would be the center of attention in the tank, so nothing but feeders will be in there. how much do they eat? do they like lots of plants or just a couple?

just wanted to let you know that i cleaned my room, and she said i could get another tank!!!!! YAYYYYY!!!! i still dont know where i'm going to put it. but thats not the point. i also thought of some more questions. do they like alot of current? will they eat snails? how much filtration is necessary? what temperature is preferred? will they kill live plants? if not i might try live plants for the first time. sorry that is a lot of questions. i can wait. yours is so pretty! i hope mine is like that.

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Hey again...glad to hear mom's gonna "take the bait" and get you a new tank. Congratulations. *thumbsups

yahoofishkeeper said:
do they like alot of current?
Yes, they probably prefer a bit of a current...but I don't think it matters much.

yahoofishkeeper said:
will they eat snails?
Yes, in all probability they will try to get at the snails...may not succeed at first, but eventually......most likely. Larger apple snails may stay alive, however the crayfish will grow too, and those claws get big and strong, so I can't guarantee that even these snails would survive...

yahoofishkeeper said:
how much filtration is necessary?
It is absolutely necessary that you have a filter which provides some sort of agitation to the water's surface (in order to oxygenate the water). My 3 gallon Eclipse filter does a fine job of this. A bubbler or airstone is NOT necessary.

Crays can stir up a lot of waste...especially through live feedings, so make sure your tank has good mechanical and chemical filtration.

Also keep in mind...crays are good at climbing, and thus you'll need a tank with a good hood/cover over it.
A cray can stay out of the water as long as it remains damp...BUT, they can drown in non-oxygenated water (e.g. in a bucket) if the water is at a level that's over their heads.

yahoofishkeeper said:
what temperature is preferred?
They are coldwater critters, so no heater is necessary. Maintaining a relatively stable temperature is best, however they will survive well in anything between about 50 and 70 degrees Farenheit. They can tolerate upwards of 70 degrees to a certain extent---mine stays between about 74 and 78---but anything much more than that will cause them to moult more frequently, and thus they will grow quicker; thereby reducing their lifespan.
The main thing is to just try not to have huge temperature swings, and it should be fine.

yahoofishkeeper said:
will they kill live plants? if not i might try live plants for the first time.
Yes, they will uproot and likely eat a decent portion of a planted tank. I would stay away from live plants. Just make sure the cray has a cave to hide in---keep in mind that it'll grow, so try to account for the cray's adult size. Mine (Procambarus alleni) will probably grow to about 6-7 inches!

yahoofishkeeper said:
yours is so pretty! i hope mine is like that.
Gee, thanks...I'll pass on the message to little "Jericho" (my wife came up with the name).

Glad I could be of help. Let me know if you have any more questions.
Big Vine