Chuy's 20 Gallon Tank

no.1chuy

Large Fish
May 22, 2009
Las Vegas
there are 8 diffrent type of plants most of these plants came from the 35 and 50 gallon tank. the only plant i bought for this tank is the wisteria which is my fav plant in this tank. i also just added a diy co2 to it yesterday

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Avoid the bog plants petsmart sells in those cylinder containers, darklies. most of the are bog plants, but some aquatics grown in emersed form are also seen there. (ie. ive seen java ferns and wisteria in those cylinders)

DarkLies

Large Fish
Nov 9, 2009
Louisiana
Once again, too lazy to do research (and I guess it's my guilty conscious because I've got a ton of work that needs to be done...)
But, do different plants benefit the tank different ways?
Like the way Almond leaves help Bettas (Yay I learned something! Thanks Newman!)

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
i know of three good things plants do to benefit a tank and the fish in it.
1. they produce oxygen during the day if enough light and other things is sufficient.
2. they get rid of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate as well as phosphates and most other stuff fish waste contains.
3. the either provide food for the fish directly by their own matter or tiny organisms live on the plants and those are eaten. same goes for algae growth on plants.

In terms of different plants? there really are not special plants that i know of but its nice to keep a Biotope within a tank so the fish from that region benefit from the native plants just like in nature.

DarkLies

Large Fish
Nov 9, 2009
Louisiana
Wow
They sound like they should be in every tank!

Are they difficult to maintain? I was going to make my 1 gallon a planted tank until family told me it was harder to keep that up than a saltwater -.-

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
as you can see by my 10 gallon, even a newb can get a planted tank goin if you put a little effort into it :)
(idk if you have checked my 10 gal journal yet, but do if you feel like it. its in general discussion.)

DarkLies

Large Fish
Nov 9, 2009
Louisiana
Yes! I've viewed the pics but I'm not sure if I commented or not? I think I wanted to if I didn't already...
But anyway, yes, it's gorgeous ^^
I guess I'm just a little nervous starting something so different
Is there any small plant that can be placed in a 1 gallon with my female and snail?

no.1chuy

Large Fish
May 22, 2009
Las Vegas
here are a few updated pics of the tank. i redid the whole tank put in sand substrate and rocks for deco instead of the lil pots. the bad news is when i was redoing the tank i put all the fish in a 5 gallon bucket with a heater and a filter but forgot to put a cover and my two fav fish jumped out. they where my female lyre pineapple swordtails :( well here are the pics