Caught me a Cray :)

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
Always check local regs before collecting native animals..below is a section from UTAH's fishing regs. Notice section "d". unfortunately those of us in western states are restricted on what we can take. If you want to help change this click on the link in my sig. I provided a link to UTAH's fishing rgs as well...refer to pg 9 if you want to read the whole thing.

(1) A person possessing a valid Utah fishing or combination license may take crayfish
for personal, noncommercial purposes during the open fishing season set for the given body
of water.
(2) Crayfish may be taken by hand or with a trap, liftnet, handline, pole or seine,
provided that:
(a) game fish or their parts, or any substance unlawful for angling, is not used for bait;
(b) seines shall not exceed 10 feet in length or width;
(c) no more than five lines are used, and no more than one line may have hooks
attached (bait is tied to the line so that the crayfish grasps the bait with its claw); and
(d) live crayfish are not transported from the body of water where taken.

http://wildlife.utah.gov/guidebooks/2006_fishing/2006_fishing.pdf

Last edited:

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
yea it seems the eastern states are pretty relaxed on those issues, where western states are not. Colorado law allows me to purchase natives but not catch and keep, makes alot of sense huh.

I should also mention I dont know the regs for Utah that well so there may be a way to legally keep that I am unaware of, you can find more help on that if your interested at NANFA.ORG and post questions in the appropriate forum.

Last edited:
Always check local regs before collecting native animals..below is a section from UTAH's fishing regs. Notice section "d". unfortunately those of us in western states are restricted on what we can take. If you want to help change this click on the link in my sig. I provided a link to UTAH's fishing rgs as well...refer to pg 9 if you want to read the whole thing.

(1) A person possessing a valid Utah fishing or combination license may take crayfish
for personal, noncommercial purposes during the open fishing season set for the given body
of water.
(2) Crayfish may be taken by hand or with a trap, liftnet, handline, pole or seine,
provided that:
(a) game fish or their parts, or any substance unlawful for angling, is not used for bait;
(b) seines shall not exceed 10 feet in length or width;
(c) no more than five lines are used, and no more than one line may have hooks
attached (bait is tied to the line so that the crayfish grasps the bait with its claw); and
(d) live crayfish are not transported from the body of water where taken.

http://wildlife.utah.gov/guidebooks/2006_fishing/2006_fishing.pdf
I have a fishing license and i asked the park ranger that was there when i caught it and he said yeah its fine. But thanks!! I got some pics with my phone. Ill get them up in a min!!! :D

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Nice catch, silver dollars! *thumbsups
I'm not positive, but I'm thinking you've got an Orconectes virilis.

Brian, I can understand your frustrations in the sense that these types of laws are punishing responsible aquarists. But frankly, life is way too short, IMO, to always be on the 'short end of the stick' because of some idiots who act irresponsibly and ruin it for everyone else.

I'll give you the rest of my opinion, which in no way should be construed as advice. It is simply an opinion, so please interpret it as such:

Let's think about this rationally for a minute---the DNR have much better things to do than prosecute someone who catches and keeps a crayfish as a pet. Now if you're catching a threatened species and/or in mass quantities and/or releasing into foreign bodies of water, then you might very well have something to worry about. Short of that, I really don't see what the big fuss is all about. Same thing goes for native fish with healthy populations.

And quite oftentimes you can do exactly what silver dollars mentioned and run it by an actual park ranger/conservation officer if one happens to be present at the time of collecting. I'd be willing to wager that at least 9 times out of 10, regardless of what their literature dictates, they will give you the green light on collecting and keeping one (or a few) crayfish as a pet.

BV

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
Your right it isnt a big deal, but it is people that disregard the laws that make it difficult for those of us trying to change things to get anything accomplished. How about instead of saying it's no big deal why not click the link in my sig and join a group that is trying to get things changed.

Heres a question..what species is it...what species if any are protected in your state? If you cant answer that without looking it up after reading this then pure and simple it should not have been removed... period.

I really dont care that you have it or if you keep it, and was posting that FYI and as a reminder that you should always check your states regs before catching and keeping anything.

The problem I have is you have been informed that it is illegal and instead of saying I made an honest mistake, you posted that you want to get a female to breed them, how about obtaining the female legally? If you read your states laws it is legal for you to keep them as long as they are DEAD when you leave the area your fishing in.

Last edited:
Heres a question..what species is it...what species if any are protected in your state? If you cant answer that without looking it up after reading this then pure and simple it should not have been removed period.
K im not sure if you read it but i said that I asked the park ranger there and he said its fine. Hmm so i don't think that im breaking any law.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
I decided to delete the above posting for reasons of keeping peace and harmony. It is at the discretion of all law enforcment to allow or ticket for infractions. I did not see that post you are correct, like I said it was posted for your info not to start a debate.
Ehtically speaking you should not have it, but since you do, email your DOW and get it in "writing" from your DOW that you can collect more, and keep that with you when or if you do. Again it is just 1 cray so yes it isnt a big deal in my opinion but the law is written in a way that does make having it illegal no matter what you were told by an officer.

Perfect example is I was in military law enforcent for a while...I would let speeders go until they reach 11mph over, other team mates would nail you at 1 mph over even though our standard was 5mph over. Same applies to friends i have in local law enforcment, it is always at there discretion.