Black moscow influence

beckyd

Large Fish
Mar 16, 2009
Just wanted to share these photos. I bought a trio of black moscow guppies awhile back. My first pure brood is reaching maturity. Once I got that first brood, I put all of the blacks in my community tank. Now they have bred with others and I am seeing the influence of that strong black on my own little gene pool. There are some interesting looking fish showing up in there. These two, I believe, are from a black female and a yellow snakeskin male.

Attachments

beckyd

Large Fish
Mar 16, 2009
Yeah, but the second has a better tail shape. I think I'll breed the first one back to a black to see what happens. I better set up my 'virgins only' tank tomorrow. I have all kinds of plans for them:)

beckyd

Large Fish
Mar 16, 2009
Thanks!
Newman, I think the first one's body pattern is being more influenced by the snakeskin and the second by the moscow. All the moscow color variations have this smooth body color and smooth transitions from one color to another. Its an interesting difference to all the body patterns I have been accustomed to looking at with snakeskins and cobras, etc. The moscows also get color way early. Is cool to see these teensy little fry that already half black.

Oh, and I'll make sure not to tell teenaged guppy number 1 that you 'didn't notice' his equipment. Give the poor little guy a complex...