aggressive does NOT equal predatory

Managuense

Superstar Fish
May 16, 2003
Springfield, MO
hello, just wanted to point this out, since it does say this underneath the "predatory fish forum" .....:)

that would lead us to believe that the predatory types of gar fish are aggressive, when they are actually very peaceful.....they just eat fish.

i feel like playing devils advocate
M

Managuense

Superstar Fish
May 16, 2003
Springfield, MO
pred·a·to·ry ( P ) Pronunciation Key (prd-tôr, -tr)
adj.
Living by preying on other organisms: a predatory mammal; a predatory insect.

using this definition you could make the argument that neon tetras are "predatory" in that they consume small (very small) invertebrates in the wild that they have to capture.

*it should be noted that they are in fact omnivores and do eat vegetation as a part of their diet as well as invertebrates and such.

so, can i post my questions about neon tetras in the predatory section?

once again the distinction between "predatory" and "aggressive" should be made, as a neon tetra, which DOES consume other animals for food, is in no way aggressive.

the same even goes of most of the "gar" fish, which are ambush predators of small fish in the wild, but are not aggressive in the least.

even piranha could fit this bill (depending on the species) -- as many types of piranha are NOT aggressive and NOT predatory (i.e.- many types are strictly scavengers)

this is so much fun:)
M

Flex26

Large Fish
Apr 21, 2003
Delaware County, PA
Visit site
I think we need to define "aggressive" as well. Because I don't think aggressive vs. predatory is black and white. One could say a predator uses aggressive acts to catch food.

As you said, the "gar" uses ambush tactics to catch smaller fish. Couldn't you say that was an aggressive act?

But I definitely agree with you, Manguenese. Mbuna are considered aggressive. However, algea makes up a good part of their diet.

Jul 16, 2003
www.piranha-fury.com
I agree with you that the word "preditory", in the truest sense of the word, is desctiptive of the diet of these fishes and not a representation of what this particular forum is intended. However, what this word has come to represent is exactly what this forum is about.

Managuense

Superstar Fish
May 16, 2003
Springfield, MO
I just noticed the description of the Predatory forum. It says: "Want something more aggressive?" Kinda ironic...
yeah dude, that is why i brought this up to begin with! i am trying to play devils advocate, b/c i have no life.

carnivorous in the strictest sense refers only to animals that eat flesh....

but a 'carnivore' in the most strict sense only refers to mammals, not other animals.

car·ni·vore ( P ) Pronunciation Key (kärn-vôr, -vr)
n.
A flesh-eating animal.
Any of various predatory, flesh-eating mammals of the order Carnivora, including the dogs, cats, bears, weasels, hyenas, and raccoons.

i dont think that dictionary guys even know where to draw the line here. :)
M

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Hahahahah Cichlid-Man. One of the cats is going in with the shark if it doesn't stop bringing birds into the house. :p (just kidding about the shark and killing the cat, btw).

I find it kind of scary that you can buy all kinds of sharks online.

I guess you could consider the neons to be predatory if you ever watch them hunt down baby brine shrimp. :D

GrImLoCk

Large Fish
Oct 2, 2003
Aag Town
Visit site
phew lol thought i was only one that gets those magazine i know which article your talking about....i'm afraid those articles gonna go cause morons w/ a 200 gal tank think they can house one go out and get one