250gal sump

Aug 10, 2009
pretty soon ill be purchasing a used 250gal tank that includes stand, lights, and a wet/dry filter with bio balls.etc I have to start slow because of the cost of tank etc. so i defiantly want to DIY as much as possible i've had a 29gal freshwater for quite a time and the new tank size will defiantly allow saltwater so i need to start with a sump, what size tank should i use to make it? i obviously have my old 29gal and an extra 75gal laying around. but does it have to be that big? i want the tank to start FOWLR. any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
You'll definitely want to make the sump as large as you can. However, fitting the sump in the stand is usually the limiting factor.

If you know the dimensions of the stand you're buying, you can start figuring it out. However, be aware that just because the tank will fit in the space doesn't necessarily mean you can get the tank into the stand through the doors or through the back. We had to remove the center brace from the stand to get the sump in. It's a good thing we figured that out before we filled the tank with water. :)

epond83

Large Fish
Mar 11, 2007
the main thing it does is increase your overall volume of water which means things happen slower which is always a good thing. also a good place to hid equiment like skimmers and heaters. Also a good place to set up a refugum and or Deep sand bed. Evapoartion showes up down there instead of the display.

Thats my understanding but i havn't set one up yet still in the research part.

epond83

Large Fish
Mar 11, 2007
Some people do, but for freshwater canisters are much more popular. They are easier and cheaper to set up and maintain. Some even have heaters in them now.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
to give you an idea im using my old 55g i had laying around as the sump for my 125g.... the more water volume you can add the better! to get the 55g under the 125g i had to take the bottom out of the stand so the 55 is sitting directly on the floor. i did have to reinforce the stand a little cause removing the bottom weakened it a little.... defintly go with the 75g and make a seperate sections for a fuge,return,skimmer

Aug 10, 2009
well got it home and when we set it on the stand in the garage for right now, one of the corners has a chip? it doesnt go any where near half way through, i have pics but need to upload them.. it needs cleaned so ill clean it and water test it in the garage so if anything helps it won't affect much at all.

Aug 10, 2009
I was takin!!! so i've never had a tank that big so i went to a very sweet LFS that i found it was HUGE! so i went and saw there 250Gal and im like thats a way bigger then mine, so i walked around talked, made friends with them etc. so i came home and took the dimensions of the tank, and its a 125Tall!! so i called and they said they always thought it was a 250gal which i don't believe and then there like do you still want it? of course not! why would i want to pay for a 125gal that i thought was a 250, and maybe pay a little more for a used 250gal. i guess i should have checked dimensions... so they've moved and i said come get it.. so well see if they take my half price offer or try and come and get it...

Aug 10, 2009
so they are coming to get it saturday or sunday and give me my money back, so i went over to the LFS for advice and get to know them a little better and tell them my story so he said once you get the money back come over and he'll cut me a deal which is cool since he'll be getting all my business for now on. im fine with a 125gal so im gonna build a stand and canopy now im lookin into cost of lighting. and to still build a sump... but for a 125gal. i have a 55gal that i might use, i got it mixed up with a 75 i was gonna buy but i bought that instead.