2009 POTM ideas?

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
Might i inquire as to how in the world a breeding pair of fish is any more boring then a simple betta, livebearer, or catfish?
Iagree that the breeding pair may need to go...leaves alot of folks out..plus who can beat C-man now with his discus..lol

I like the favorite fish because it gives us native keepers a chance.

The large tank idea is good as well, but how many here actually have a tank over 100g once again may limit the participation.

Why not combine the coral/ planted tanks...I dont know anything about SW but wouldnt corals be along the lines of a planted tank..

I like the fish from a region idea also.

Last edited:

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
Just to reiterate my idea. What I mean is say we choose Africa as the place, the entries could include any fish that lives within the continent or around the out skirts of the continent. This way this entry can include a wide variety of FW and SW fish :D

The ugliest fish idea is great, we did it last year.

I like the Nano idea (along with making it 30G or smaller).

I say ditch the fry category but give the Livebearer category another chance.

What about Large Fish, meaning any fish that makes it to a foot long or longer. (not saying it has to be full grown at the time of the contest)

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
I say keep the fry category. Numbers show results. More fry then livebearers. 10 pictures to 6? I'd go with the 10.

May i ask, what is the need to change it? I mean i understand a few categories are/were slacking, but why fix something that ain't broke? I just don't see the need personally.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
ok I finally browsed thru all the POTM polls from the past year.. I honestly never pay much attention to them, mainly because I dont have anything that fits into most catergories or the skill at photography. Browsing makes me wonder what am I really voting for and what am I basing it on. To me they are all fairly boring I would much rather see a full tank pic. So with that you all go ahead and decide I will stay out of it.

Last edited:

nobody

Large Fish
Sep 26, 2005
Utah
I don't know how many of us name our fish (maybe not a lot), but you could do a best named fish contest (would need the picture and the name, might not work too well though). Or another suggestion, favorite fish with your favorite tank decoration, we always pay attention to the plants and the fish. How about the decor? Some people have some awesome decor, home made or not. Or the best signs? Like mine that says "Only cool fish allowed"? Or split the betta contest to males against males and females against females (or livebearers). Just some ideas I had. I like the ugliest fish idea. I won that last year with the banjo catfish I had (who died sadly) people sure thought he was ugly compared to the one pleco he was set against.

Livebearers isn't that bad. Some people have some awesome livebearers. It maybe more boring for most here because the majority of the people here don't keep them, but it gives those who do keep them and don't get a chance to participate much a chance. Especially when the theme is cichlids or saltwater and they don't have anything to enter. It was that way for me when I had livebearers, but now I'll probably be entering more in the cichlids and others more now that I don't have livebearers anymore.

Last edited:

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
May i ask, what is the need to change it? I mean i understand a few categories are/were slacking, but why fix something that ain't broke? I just don't see the need personally.
And that's another valid perspective. Just trying to keep things fresh and current. If we never changed the categories, we would still have a pond category where no one entered at all.

Like most things, it's always evolving....members come and go and this just gives everyone a chance to voice their opinion and see if (any) changes are warranted. Maybe nothing needs to be changed. I personally don't have an opinion either way, I just want to make it fun and interesting for everyone.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
what about something like exotic fish.
fish you dont see every day in the lps's
like certain fancy plecos like blue eyed or certain africans that arnt very common?
like bumble bee cats or certain eel types, sting rays, jellyfish?

big54bob

Superstar Fish
Dec 20, 2006
On my office chair playing Runescape
what about something like exotic fish.
fish you dont see every day in the lps's
like certain fancy plecos like blue eyed or certain africans that arnt very common?
like bumble bee cats or certain eel types, sting rays, jellyfish?
Fuzz if you were looking for Bumblebee kitties, Just walk to your local petsmart.

I think my leaffish and L-02 whould own that catagory.

When chosing categories, you have to have to think about how many people could actually enter it.
For example, few people breed fish and those who do don't necessarily take pictures of them. It's hard to get them in the same shot. That would be the same with fry; plus they are hard to take good pictures of and that's the point.
I would keep livebearers because they are very common.
I wouldn't do anything out of the ordinary like exotic fish because there wouldn't be many entries.
Just my ideas...:)

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
I think that that would fall under the category of JANUARY: Best in Show (full tank) Freshwater, Brackish, or Saltwater. Full tank shots! because there is not requirements on this, just a full tank shot of your best tank :D. So you are covered :)

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
F8fan..just wanted to let you know that I for one appreciate your time in running this contest, I am sure it is more time consuming than any of us truly believe, again Thanks for Volunteering to handle this for our little community.
Brian

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I'd like to see the livebearers stay, even if just for any newbies who want to join in. We dont want to make the photo contests so exclusive that people feel they can't enter...since it IS a community thing :) We figured that a lot of new people start out with livebearers.

Also, a comment on Brian's suggestion earlier on combining planted tanks and corals...we pondered that but it was pointed out that corals may seem like plants to FW people, but they are not plants. Its just too hard to judge them against each other. Plus, there aren't many categories that the SW folks have exclusively to themselves for competition so we definitely want to give them their month.

The breeding fish...I'm not sure should stay...but I guess we should wait to see how many shots we get for it and what everyone thinks. It could make for some really cool pictures...

Same thing on the fry...I think this is the first year we tried that one and it seemed to go over pretty well :)

My question on the tankbusters or really big tanks would be if we have enough people who have those to take pictures of, and will participate that month...