2009 POTM ideas?

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
2009 will be here before we know it. Believe it or not, there are only two more POTM contests until then!

Here's what we did for 2008. Anyone want to make any changes/deletions/additions?

JANUARY: Best in Show (full tank) Freshwater, Brackish, or Saltwater. Full tank shots! 7 Entries - winner = LOTUS

FEBRUARY: Labyrinth Fish (Bettas & Gouramis)
13 entries - winner = big54bob

MARCH: Catfish & Bottom Dwellers
17 entries - winner = jen0910

APRIL: Livebearers
6 entries - winner = Kissyboots

MAY: SW inverts (non-coral) & FW Inverts
14 entries - winner = IDunnoWhy

JUNE: Planted Freshwater Tanks
6 entries - winner = <>< sesheru ><>

JULY: Cichlids
20 entries - winner = Orion

AUGUST: Nano Fish (10 gallons or smaller - full tank shot)
3 entries - winner = Cichlid-Man

SEPTEMBER: Favorite Fish Photo
12 entries - winner = Pure

OCTOBER: Fry pictures
10 entries - winner to be determined

NOVEMBER: Corals

DECEMBER: Breeding Pairs of Fish (must have both male and female in photo)

Last edited:

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
ok, so how about more detailed changes to POTM entries...i.e. what the criteria should be (as per MFT members) as a "copy/paste type for me" description for each contest subject....

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
I love FishGeek's Idea, that's something that could go FW or SW too.

I like the idea of ponds, but there really aren't that many ponders here, so I'm thinking that would flop...

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
If they did that it wouldn't really be nano anymore...
Actually in SW anything under a 30 is a nano. 5 gals and under are pico tanks. Allowing the tanks to be a little bit larger in this category would open it up to a lot more members.

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
What about HUGE tanks? I'm not sure what the criteria would be, maybe 100 gallons or over? Or larger than that, 150 or over?? Because if we were going to have a "tankbuster fish" category, logically they would need to be in a large tank like that.

I agree with Virgo, last year we had a pond category and no one entered :(

I know diddly squat about SW, are they any particular themes in that hobby that could be contest-worthy besides what's already included?

What about a DIY category? Best DIY idea, best DIY contraption, etc. etc.?

Ok, so here's the new ideas tossed about so far:

• Ugliest fish?(Voters choose entries and vote which one is the ugliest)
  • Tank Buster idea returns? (A fish 6 inches or more)
  • Make the Nano month open to anything under 30 gals?
  • fish from a certain region in the world (FW or SW)?
  • Huge tanks (over 100-150(?) gallons) ?
  • DIY ?
  • An additional contest in January for the previous year, Photo of the Year? All the winners compete for the final title.
Which current categories would you delete in order to make room for these new ideas?

Last edited:

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
I do feel that the Nano tanks should be expanded for the SW folks. 10 gallon's is a pretty restricting limit IMHO.

And I don't know, but something like "Best in Show" seems like it should belong in December, the big finish if you will.

Maybe have an additional contest in January for the previous year, Photo of the Year? All the winners compete for the final title. Maybe no additional prize, but might be fun for everyone.

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
I love the ideas of Ugliest fish, Fish from a certain region, and the Photo of the year, and I'm ALL FOR huge tanks :p even though mine's ugly :p and I do agree SW nano should be upped to >30gal.

The catagories I'm thinking could go is definitly fry, it's just too hard to get pics of them and they're hard to judge, despite the obviouls landslide we have going on now LOL. Also, livebarers, they're not real easy to photograph sometimes and we've all seen them a billion times. It'd be hard to choose from the rest though, they're all really good catagories...