20 gal long

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
I am trying to better understand how to add photos to a post. I will use some 2009 photos from a 20 gallon long as subjects. Comments, suggestions and criticisms are invited. One photo this time.
The information associated with the picture is that it is a JPEG image; size 3648x2736; 1.92 MB. It shows up on the information window of this pre post part of the new thread as 51.3 KB. Is this too many KB's to be allowed to work? If so how do I reduce the number of KB's from a photo already saved to my computer memory. Thanks

Attachments

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
yes i like your tank with the shelf idea too!
can you post a full tank shot instead of sections of it? that could help with recommendations for plants that you may want to get :) but the plant choice looks great now, its evident theyre all living well :)

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; Reply to Newmanand lauraf. Yes my plan is to eventually have a tiered design in at least a 29 gal and the 55 gal. When I moved last spring the plants and fish were placed in a bare (gravel only) 29 gal in a back room of the new place. They did well and the crypts grew to the top of the 29. I made a place for a newly acquired 55 gal around October and moved the plants and fish to a gravel only set up. I have not been able to take the time away from fixing up the house to work on the tank set up. I will take a photo of the 55 in the next day or so ( I need to clean some glass first) so the type of plants can be seen. The sword did not perk up right away but has grown well the last few weeks. some of the leaves of the crypts melted, but I think they are settled now.
One of the design goals reflected in the earlier pictured 20 long setup was to have a flow that moved the detritus to the filter pickup at the back of the tank. The tiered approach also allows for greater depth of substrate for the plants. It is a thought of mine that many plants like a deep substrate for proper growth, but I did not want to fill a display tank up to a third or half with gravel. More later.

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
empty 20 long photos

Hello; I will attempt to attach some potos of the 20 long tank discussed before. It has not been cleaned since being emptied. I made the left rear corner the highest point. The center area is a bit lower. (The plan was to place a sword plant there as the centerpiece.) The lowest area is in the front. I made a chanel at the far right that goes to the rear of the tank where the suction tube for the filter was located. ( Among the first few examples of this design I made a tunnel from the front to the back. A tunnel worked , but with some problems.) I just got notice that I am allowed only 5 attachments, so will put the other photos in another post. (The levels are lengths of glass salvaged from the trash behind a department store in the 70's. They were discarding display cases.) I have used several things to cover the glass, this time is is black quartz gravel. I spread a film of clear silicone on the glass and sprinkled the gravel on it.

Attachments

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
more 20 long empty photos

Hello; In these photos you will see the filter in place as it was used when the tank was active. I put the channel to the rear because in earlier setups the detritus would accumulate in the front of the tank and spoil the view. I also placed a plastic deflector on the discharge of the filter to help create flow to the far end of the tank and move the trash to the low area. The tunnel mentioned before worked well, but made it hard to catch fish and it was dificult to clear sometimes. This set up worked well for a few years and was easy to clean. I have some video of the set up but do not know if that is possible or allowed to be posted on this site.

Attachments

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
20 gal long plants in 55

Hello; Attached is a photo of the plants and fish that were in the 20 gal long and are now in a 55 gallon. I took it today. I have not learned how to get a good photo. I am using a Nikon COOLPIX. The camera may not be suited, but I suspect that I am the weak link. Any suggestions?

Attachments

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
i like your separation of densely planted and open plain scape. nice crypts btw. red side and green side effect is also unique.

I have the coolpix too. its not the best camera for sure and i complain about it a lot. try to put it on the green camera setting, put on auto white balance, put Exp (exposure) down to -1 or -2 or in between. Continuous S and best shot selector on. take a few pics y holding the "take pic" button and the camera will rapid fire pics then release and it will select the most focused pic out of w/e ones your took in rapid fire. i find it useful. the less the exposure the more detailed, but also darker the shot.