Why small tanks aren't good.

sombunya

Large Fish
Jul 25, 2008
So. Cal. USA
Small tanks are ok, if you've got a big one or two as well.

4 months ago I had no fish tanks.

I will say this, the bigger the tank, the more work it is, the more dedication and money it takes, and they yield the most enjoyment.

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Small tanks are ok, if you've got a big one or two as well.

4 months ago I had no fish tanks.

I will say this, the bigger the tank, the more work it is, the more dedication and money it takes, and they yield the most enjoyment.
I disagree/agree with this.
Bigger tank = more work/more money up front. Less maintainence and long run spending.
Small tank = less money/easier setup up front. Way more maintainence long term, and you will probably want more fish later (everyone does), so you will have to upgrade = more monies and a useless 10G tank unless you cycle it for breeding/fry/a betta.

falcon1620

Small Fish
Jan 2, 2009
I consider myself a beginner, been happy with my 10 gallon. :)
I've had fish off and on when I was little, but I don't remember maintaining the tank, and assuredly not cycling the tank properly or cleaning properly for that matter. It has been several years since I sought to own fish, but after living in a pestles apartment for some time I ventured out to get a 10 gallon tank, not because of price, but because of space constraints. (I have a 20 gallon in my parents basement that I could have used) First I don't mind doing water changes 2-3 times a week, the tank takes no more than 30 minutes of maintenance a week. Second I didn't "overstock" my tank and I understand what the limits of the tank are with out stressing out the fish. I think it boils down to commitment, what types of fish you want and how much time do you want to spend maintaining a tank. I luckily got some good advice about my tank, what types of fish I could and how to set it up. Its been going for a month now with out any issues or "disasters", well a month with fish, a month of cycling it fleshless. I currently have 6 Zebra Danios in there, they have been quite happy, they always come to great me, and they swim around and play at full bore all day long, and they enjoy a recent addition of a larger plant that also floats on the top and think its great fun to hide in it, and swim through it. The sometime school, but they are usually found scattered though out the tank chasing each other or swimming around at mock 10 or trying to show off and chasing eachother. They all seem quite happy. *BOUNCINGS My tank has been quite stable and I find it easy and predictable to keep an eye on, I test the water every few days to ensure that everything is going well and could probably get away with one or two water changes a week if I needed. I do tend to agree that 20 gallons or larger is better for a beginner, I say so only because it allows more of a tolerance for mess ups. Any good beginner with a good guide and someone in the shop who can answer questions and make good recommendations is far better off then someone who "wings it" with a larger tank IMHO. On top of that for student housing and small apartment living a 10 gallon tank is the perfect size for me, and I do enjoy keeping fish. I have had fish on and off for most of my life, although I did little to "help out" because I was a kid or just general lack of understanding, I have had several tanks, from a 20 gallon, a 2 gallon, and a 5 gallon. The 10 is a breeze in comparison to the smaller tanks. I personally love my 10 gallon, and I cant wait to find enough space for a larger 50 gallon tank. Just some food for thought, I did help my roommate with a little 2 gallon and a Zebra Danio as well and despite sever sharp comments or criticism he lived happily in there for the entire year with out issues until we put him in my tank with some friends. None of the fish have shown stress, or illness and I have had a very successful healthy 10 gallon tank with even a move thrown in so far. With a little research, a good person to ask questions and some time you can start off with a successful 10 gallon tank that is stable and has happy healthy fish. :cool:

TMony

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2008
Although they take more time to maintain, I think a 10 gallon is a good way to go for a beginner. Bigger tanks can easily be intimidating and overwhelming for someone new to the hobby. I just wish more stores had the capability (and willingness) to educate new buyers better instead of just pushing for a sale.

LadyLail

Large Fish
Dec 31, 2008
NC
www.myspace.com
I started off with a 10g tank. I'm embarrassed to admit that it started off with a handful of Mollies (the most annoying fish in the world IMO!) and after jokingly naming the smallest one "Killer," and it literally killing all of the other ones, my mom and brother suprised me with a Bala shark (Grande lived for 3 years) and Dwarf Guarami (that died)! I then added an Irridescent Shark (that died), an Upsidedown Cat (that I took back because it was "mean"), a Clown Loach (that I took back cause it was "mean") so on and so forth... I didn't research my hobby enough, and not knowing any better, was going to Wal Mart and Petsmart for the fish and advice! I was overcrowding and mixing fish that just didn't do well together.

After I found the LPS I've been dealing with for over 5 years now, I have become a much more educated and effective fishkeeper. I've gone through, sold, and repurchased 10g's, 1g's, 5g's more than I'd like to recall, and have to say that I'm much happier with my bigger tanks (and so are my fish). The only reason my biggest is a 55g is because we live in a 2br duplex. But my husband and I have already decided that when we build/renovate our own house, we will be building a 100+g into one of the walls... :D!

My advice is that you really read up on fish and requirements before you run down to a store and pick stuff up- if you KNOW that all you want is a Betta, a few ADF's or a few schooling fish, than get a 10g- they can be beautiful when 'scaped right. DON'T trust supercenters for your needs. Find a local store that SPECIALIZES in fish and have educated staff that are willing to lose a sale to insure that their fish are getting transfered into adaquate tanks.

And when (and not if) you get hooked, remember that you DON'T know it all, and there are people out there who have more experience that can help you hone your skills and help you better appriciate your hobby.

Lastly... be prepared- the urge to upgrade will come and will be almost impossible to shake ;).

Jan 13, 2009
Elberta, Al
I'm brand new to aquariums as having my 37 gallon up for about 3 mos now. Helped my dad with his when I was a kid but this is the first one that was "mine".

My opinion on this whole issue is that the OP was stating an opinion, and one I agree with from what I've researched. To the people that state that 10 gals are fine for a beginner I would offer this to counter your point, everyone on this forum has or is in the process of researching their hobby. The folks you know that have had success with 10 gals are just that, folks you know and I'd bet you were able to give them advice to help avoid the pitfalls associated with a tank that small.

A family that is looking to get into fish keeping most of the time won't do any more research than the instructions on the filter or maybe the little tags by the display aquarium for their fish selection. Most of the time as has been mentioned, they have no clue as to climatizing, over feeding, cycles or ph or any other variables important to good tank maintenance and most won't even do a water change till the water gets cloudy.

With the above in mind I think the OP was spot on. I will say this though, to the beginner that does his/her research, has friends with experience in the hobby, or even an experienced and helpful LFS they may have success with a small tank but I would still think they would be dissapointed by the stocking and aquascaping limitations that such a small tank affords.

Dec 26, 2008
It is excellently written! I agree with everything said -- Lazy people should not own small fish tanks. But for those of us that are willing to take the time to clean them, I believe that small tanks can be a great enjoyment. Overall A++, I am sure a lot of people will benifit from this!

Jan 11, 2009
Oahu, the 50th state
I consider myself a beginner, been happy with my 10 gallon. :)
I've had fish off and on when I was little, but I don't remember maintaining the tank, and assuredly not cycling the tank properly or cleaning properly for that matter. It has been several years since I sought to own fish, but after living in a pestles apartment for some time I ventured out to get a 10 gallon tank, not because of price, but because of space constraints. (I have a 20 gallon in my parents basement that I could have used) First I don't mind doing water changes 2-3 times a week, the tank takes no more than 30 minutes of maintenance a week. Second I didn't "overstock" my tank and I understand what the limits of the tank are with out stressing out the fish. I think it boils down to commitment, what types of fish you want and how much time do you want to spend maintaining a tank. I luckily got some good advice about my tank, what types of fish I could and how to set it up. Its been going for a month now with out any issues or "disasters", well a month with fish, a month of cycling it fleshless. I currently have 6 Zebra Danios in there, they have been quite happy, they always come to great me, and they swim around and play at full bore all day long, and they enjoy a recent addition of a larger plant that also floats on the top and think its great fun to hide in it, and swim through it. The sometime school, but they are usually found scattered though out the tank chasing each other or swimming around at mock 10 or trying to show off and chasing eachother. They all seem quite happy. *BOUNCINGS My tank has been quite stable and I find it easy and predictable to keep an eye on, I test the water every few days to ensure that everything is going well and could probably get away with one or two water changes a week if I needed. I do tend to agree that 20 gallons or larger is better for a beginner, I say so only because it allows more of a tolerance for mess ups. Any good beginner with a good guide and someone in the shop who can answer questions and make good recommendations is far better off then someone who "wings it" with a larger tank IMHO. On top of that for student housing and small apartment living a 10 gallon tank is the perfect size for me, and I do enjoy keeping fish. I have had fish on and off for most of my life, although I did little to "help out" because I was a kid or just general lack of understanding, I have had several tanks, from a 20 gallon, a 2 gallon, and a 5 gallon. The 10 is a breeze in comparison to the smaller tanks. I personally love my 10 gallon, and I cant wait to find enough space for a larger 50 gallon tank. Just some food for thought, I did help my roommate with a little 2 gallon and a Zebra Danio as well and despite sever sharp comments or criticism he lived happily in there for the entire year with out issues until we put him in my tank with some friends. None of the fish have shown stress, or illness and I have had a very successful healthy 10 gallon tank with even a move thrown in so far. With a little research, a good person to ask questions and some time you can start off with a successful 10 gallon tank that is stable and has happy healthy fish. :cool:
I agree with you my friend Commitment*celebrate

kayliwolf76

Medium Fish
Mar 3, 2009
Well i had my first tank ten years ago and it was a disaster. 10 gallons of constant h*ll. When I bought it it had an under gravel filter but within a few weeks i heard about these hanging filters that were awesome. So I switched. I went through a school of tiger barbs, neons, glass fish, and several others b/f i figured it all out. If I had known then what i know now i would have started out bigger. My current ten is fine but bought it when i had no space for anything bigger. Hope to ugrade soon. Want at least a 29 gallon if not maybe up to a 75 gallon. All the knowledge I learned from those dead fish was priceless may they rest in peace.

Mar 10, 2009
I am now upgrading to a 55-gallon and I've asked many questions on the best way to upgrade and add plants. I have spent weeks researching equipment, fish size, and fish compatibility and I should be ready to go in a week or two. I honestly don't think I would have been successful with a larger tank in the beginning and having the 20 gallon has made me appreciate aquariums and understand the interdependencies of the filters, gravel, plants, and fish.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Any size tank can be turned into a disaster, and yes, bigger means the potential for an even bigger disaster...

However, in my opinion, a larger tank is still better because due to the nature of the hobby and the equipment and fish commonly sold in stores, I think people are more likely to really overstock a smaller tank. The bigger the investment, the more care people usually take in it. Kind of like, if a 16 year old kid gets given a sports car for their birthday vs someone who worked hard to save the money up to buy that sports car...who is more likely to take care to maintain the vehicle, be a little less reckless with it? Probably the person who has an investment in it. Likewise with a fishtank...if I have to take the time to plan a spot and clear room in my apartment for a 46 gallon bowfront tank, come up with the few hundred dollars for the tank and the stand and the hood, and then a filter and other equipment...I am probably more likely to do a little research or at least not shove every inch of available fish in there. Whereas if I get bored one day and decide I want a fishtank, go to Petco and see that they have a cute little 2 gallon tank that comes complete with filter, light, decorations, fish food, water conditioner...all I have to do is get a bag full o' fish, bring the whole mess home and add water...wa-la...disposable pets.

and I dont think that the point of this thread is "go and get the biggest tank you can immediately", rather its a caution that a larger tank is more forgiving when you are learning the ins and outs of the chemistry and the hobby...and by larger I mean something bigger than a 5 or 10 gallon tank :) I have said it before and I'll probably say it a lot more...If someone is setting up a tank for the first time I'd always suggest getting a 29. LOVE that size of tank! It is so versatile and there are a lot of them out there.

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
I really wish I'd have seen this article back in June.

I started with a 10 gallon a bit over a year ago. I got all excited and set up the tank and waited a week (assuming the tank would cycle itsself with no ammonia!). I went out and picked up a couple glofish and they lasted....two days, tops.

Fast forward about six months and the wife tells me to clean it out and sell it or do something with it. So, I pick up my fish-killer's pride and try again. This time I'm a bit more savvy about things and ask people who don't work at PetCo for advice. I still lost a few fish to stupid things, like poor cycling and nuclear nitrites, and mollies in a 10 gallon tank, but it's getting better. Having a 10 gallon tank has been an effort in frustration and fast learning. It's an unforgiving environment for a beginner.

Now that I have a smidgen more experience than I had six months ago I'm staring at a 29 gallon I picked up off craigslist for 60% of the price I paid to PetCo for my 10. I'm sure my fish will be much happier there. My 10 will probably turn into either a quarantine or breeder. I wish I'd have gotten the 29 gallon to begin with.

Excellent article.

=======================================================

Something I think would be interesting to see is all the highly skilled fish people turn 10-gal tanks into the "rice-burners" of the fish world. Just to see how well they can trick out such a small ride and still keep it healthy.

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Wow, isn't this a thread *bump*! I've started a 5g planted nano-tank - not inhabited with anything but plants yet - so we'll see how it goes . . . . . I agree - a small tank for someone who a) is new and often b) doesn't have the right water tests is much more difficult than a 20g+.
So, tell us more about your plans with your 29g????

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
Wow, isn't this a thread *bump*! I've started a 5g planted nano-tank - not inhabited with anything but plants yet - so we'll see how it goes . . . . . I agree - a small tank for someone who a) is new and often b) doesn't have the right water tests is much more difficult than a 20g+.
So, tell us more about your plans with your 29g????
Step 1: Get the mollies out of the 10 gallon, only leaving it for breeding and such.

From there I'm not 100% sure. I was thinking about a puffer or two, but reading up on them....sheesh, what a pain in the butt. I'll probably get a grourami or three and see how it goes from there. No marine, no cichlids. I'm open to suggestions.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Excellent thread! Much to be considered. I started with a betta in a bowl. I bought a 16g and then found this forum. I started feeling guilty about the betta in the bowl, but there was so much controversy on the forum about bettas in community tanks, I was afraid to introduce my betta and so I bought him his own 2.5g tank. So far it has cost at least half as much as the 16g, needs to be cleaned more often and I am still making a total mess of the kitchen counters when I do it. The 16g tank is fine, and I now own a 26g tank I saw on Craigs list. I have read almost everything in this forum since I joined about 4 months ago - I have a very stiff neck from spending that much time at the computer. A couple of things I have noticed: almost everyone overstocks (according to the "Advisor") Many people seem more concerned about pH than anything else and yet there isn't a lot that can or should be done about it, and although most say they "cycle" they either don't say the method or it is obviously being done with fish already in. I would be willing to bet that pure ammonia will become harder and harder to find just because of its intended use as a cleaner which is enhanced by the surfactant - why should a company continue to make three kinds - lemon, clear, and pure when pure is only for a handful of aquarists.

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
It's not just aquarists that use pure ammonia. Cleaning crews use it. Unscented, uncolored, pure ammonia and water doesn't streak last I checked. Check your local Ace Hardware, Lowes, Home Depot, Taylor's Do-It Center, or whatever other hardware stores you can find. It also runs around 1-3 bucks for a 64oz bottle.

You might try The Dollar Store too.