Why small tanks aren't good.

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
Yep, I know. I'm going to take some serious heat for this. However, I'm in the kitchen, and I can handle it. Let's keep it positive nevertheless!

If you have a knack for and enjoy micromanagement, you can go now, as this post does not pertain to you. If you happen to be a procrastinator (aka, "lazy"), like me, read on!

So you want some fish & stuff. That's great. Before you run off to Wal-Mart and purchase that $9 10g, do keep reading before you grab your keys. If you are just beginning your fishkeeping endeavors, understand that there is a substantial amount you should know. You cannot simply add water and fish. This is not a minute rice recipe.

I know. Ten gallon aquariums are cheap, as well as the equipment for them. However, while they are the most popular aquarium, they are NOT the most usable. Let's just say your potential problems will be amplified 10 times!

I'm going to talk in fish only aquarium terms. I understand the fish folk. Every single one of them will require a fish or many fish in their aquarium. If not now, the question converts to "when." It will happen eventually. Simply put, there's just not a whole lot to do with a 10g. There's not a whole lot of enjoyment a 10g can bring you considering the possibilities. Aside from bettas, how many fish do you know that reside in 10g palaces? Contrary to belligerent belief, bigger is better.

Stay tuned for part two!

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
Part Two

Small tank owners can be placed in many categories, but I'll focus on just a couple: the cheap and the new-to-fish folks. For the former, whoever told you that fishkeeping is cheap lied to you; it can be cheaper however, depending upon your desires. Doing it correctly usually requires a significant invesment of either time, effort, and/or money. For the latter, don't be misled by the old information that you should start with a small tank first. This, I believe, is part of the reason why so many either fail or relinquish their fish keeping altogether. Ever heard some folks say "Fish are stupid...they don't do anything..."?

Bear with me while I try to peice together the layers here. First of all, small tanks require less work, but are more focused in their demands. Large tanks, on the other hand, require more effort, but are much more broad in their demands. You have more wiggle room so to speak. In my years of fish keeping, I've found that large tanks by far are easier to keep. Planted tanks are an entirely new ballgame, but that's another article altogether.

Now for the second point or "layer" I started in the first paragraph, fish aren't stupid. Sometimes they simply aren't given the chance to display their true beauty. Fish don't talk or jump on your lap. You can't pet them. You can only observe them, and when given the opportunity, can be quite enjoyable! Right there is your reality show. Anyhow, for example, let's take the typical 10g and 6 tetras (neon, cardinal, rummy nose, etc). Someone said they like to school. Schools are cool. I've had this happen myself as well as many others: the fish go back & forth, back & forth....uhhh, they aren't "schooling" anymore. That's boring. Now place about 25 in a 4' or 5' tank and watch them go! They don't stop schooling, and their movements are far more enjoyable! With the right decor, they go in & out, around, back, forth, and simply watching a mass of little ones scurry along together in a tight formation is really neat! Accent them with some carefully selected mates, and you will have yourself a truly enjoyable centerpiece!

Ok, so you're not into tetras. You want some cichlids--great fish with great personalities. I began my cichlid endeavors by slapping a bunch of young ones in a big tank. I was told I needed a big tank. Pretty cool fish, yessir! It was only when I began reducing their numbers that the cichlids I decided to keep came "out of the closet!" No, they're not gay. They established their proper territories, which are pretty darn big, instead of living in an efficiency apartment, beating on their neighbor's walls. I finally saw their true personalities, which is far more enjoyable than seeing a whole bunch crammed in a tank. If I want to see that, I'll go to the LFS. Only one Central American cichid for a 75g tank? Yes, it's true! (there are exceptions)

I really don't want to get into prices and such. You'll get out of it what you put into it. Money is not the only issue. Actual work can negate pricing issues. Some folks like to buy, some folks like to build. Your creativity costs you nothing. Pricing is irrelevant.

I think this will conclude part two. In summary, this part was meant to convey the potential enjoyability of your aquarium. I've kept a lot of small aquariums; I had 4 10g's, a 1g, a 20g, and a 29g all running at the same time. Before I shut a few of them down, I got a 100g tank and it by far took precedence over all the others. The whole is greater than the sum of it's parts!

Last edited:

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
So I was talking to a good friend of mine while back and he was telling me about a woman that had a 55g with 6 fully grown oscars (this woman's daughter was a classmate if you're wondering the relevance). I told him that couldn't be healthy and he replied, well, they were kind of crammed in there and were deformed. I asked him how so, and he said they had holes in their head. He continued to say they didn't move much. I wonder why...

Cichlids are tough fish and can handle quite a bit, but any living thing will choose to live rather than die. The problem here was a tank that was too small for what the owner wanted to do (or could do), and the oscars came down with a chronic problem called "Hole-in-the-head" disease. HITH is a water quality issue, usually a result of overcrowding. I've met her before (I actually dated her daughter), and she's a very nice woman, but was simply uneducated. At that time, there wasn't a lot of information available. Fast-forward to the present: there's really no reason why you shouldn't search for some info about any hobby you want to get into. The internet is free to all...try your public library!

Technically speaking, small tanks are bad because of the common trend of all first-time fishkeepers: exceeding a practical bioload due to either too many fish, too large of fish, or lack of proper biological filtration.

I'd like to relate fish with dogs for a moment since dogs are popular pets. Why is it that dog owners will usually either get a free puppy or pay $200+ for a pet, and lack the foresight to take into consideration of their new pet's expense? It needs a place to stay out of bad weather...so a doghouse will usually be in order. Then there's food, and a decent dog food isn't cheap, as dogs can eat a lot. Then you have to give it shots, maybe spayed or neutered, de-worming maybe, pound fees when it escapes your fence, leashes, poo-pick-up, carpet cleaning costs, cute doggie clothes and doggie bones, and not to mention the legal responsibility to the animal...you can't let it die or else you might end up in the slammer. However, when you ask someone to purchase an adequately sized home or filter for a fish, people freak out. "OMG, it's a $2 fish!" How about your free dog, eh?

The point is that fish are an animal like any other. They deserve as good a shot at life as any other pet. Housing them properly shouldn't become a burden. If it is, then the keeping of fish should be re-thought. Small aquariums have their place, but only to those who know what they are doing and have a good fundamental knowledge of fishkeeping. I was going to elaborate more about technical aspects, but I believe that my point has been made, and others have contributed this essential information. So I will leave you with a bit of the wisdom I've gained over the years...do consider a larger tank when making your first purchase. It may make all the difference to your enjoyment of the wonderful world of fishkeeping!

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2005
'serendipity' tank
i eagerly await parts 2 + 3 ...

cheap complete tank in ireland here is 50 pounds for a 3.5[imp] gallon...
i've inherited one...and i can't wait to move the fish out...
there new home is cycling at the moment...40 galleon[imp]...
oh they'll love it...and some chumz too...
bigger has indeed got to be betta...
[never seen a betta...nice fish?] ... :)

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
I'd like to chime in and say that I agree with EVERYTHING Avalon said in all 3 posts at the top, even though posts 2 & 3 have not been written at the time I write this.

I have a 10 gallon tank, and the longer I am in the fishkeeping hobby, the more I realize that this tanks needs to be just a quarantine tank or something ancillary like that. Achieving chemical balance in it is VERY hard when compared to my 29, and even my 20. THe 20gallon is actually the MOST stable, but that is only because of my unique lighting and filtration combination which I will desperately try to imitate in any other "long" aquariums I ever own.

BIGGER IS BETTER.

Sep 11, 2005
Philadelphia
www.myspace.com
Facts being true that a ten gallon is extremely limiting, I do still have to disagree quite a bit about the notion of a ten gallon being only good enough for a betta or a quarantine. Yes, I am the micromanagement guy that this thread is said not to pertain to, but I do feel as though another voice should be heard, lest the beginner be led away from something that could bring them great enjoyment. (After all, saying that there is not a whole lot of enjoyment that a ten gallon can bring you is just completely untrue.) Bigger is better, yes, but I feel this thread is rather derogatory and unfair towards the art of keeping a small aquarium, which I have been able to do with great success. My ten gallon Asian blackwater is as stable as any large aquarium and has been since I started it with one zebra danio.

I do certainly plan to up my current Asian tank to a 20 gallon now that I have the money to do so. This much is true, BUT I have enjoyed my ten gallon for over two and a half years now. I feel like this thread is not being fair to the creative aspects of fish keeping - as well as the challenges. The challenges have been a great learning experience. And so they say a small aquarium is not for beginners - that is arguable on one count - the fact that you learn more about the variables of aquarium keeping by having to be on a schedule of constant vigilance than allowed negligence.

One need only look at my tank pictures and see how happy of a community I have had for quite some time. (My original zebra danio from cycling has been living in this tank for three years, and I've only lost two fish out of the nine I have put in. One cherry barb who died the day I got him, and one small loach who jumped out to his death.) I don't overfeed, I keep the population small, I have some plants, and I overfilter. I perform careful and frequent water changes. I find the constant work and watching of a tank to be rather "zen." My point is, that nano is an art form of sorts. It's alomost like bansai. I would admit that I'd much rather this tank of mine be a 75 gallon, so I can relax a little with the maintenance and have crap loads more fish and plants, etc. But to make a statement that ten gallon tanks cannot be a worthwhile endeavor is just plain wrong in my opinion, and I think that my very happy fish, who show perfect colors and erect fins, along with my plants that are flourishing in their little microsystem would agree.

So the bottom line is that I think that it's not only unfair to dis small systems, but it also disregards the art form of being able to create a stable, well-sustained and happy ecosystem in a tiny little place. Sorry if it sounds like I'm taking this a little too personal, but I am very proud of the work I have done with my little slice of aquatic life and I would hope that others would not disregard the merits of small aquarium keeping.

Last edited:

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
I think 10 gallon or smaller tanks are horible for beginners most of the time. They aren't very forgiving with mistakes as larger systems can be. Of course those new to the hobby want to be able to put as many fish in the tank as they can, and 50 neons are going to do much more damage in a 10 gallon tank than a 55.

<steps off one soapbox. steps onto the other one>

However I do feel that for the hobbist who has a good understanding of how to maintain such tanks, small tanks or 'nanos' can be a blast and bring some new challanges to the hobbist. But like I said, it's not well suited to the beginner.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
I think just a brief survey of threads in this section speaks volumes about why Avalon's premise is correct. Like Echo, I have some very nice, balanced 10s -- but they have suitable species, stocking levels and are scrupulously cared for. They don't have iridescent sharks, arowanas, pictus cats, columbian sharks, oscars, common plecos, mollies.....mostly purchased and introduced the same day as the tank. ;)

Too many newbies learn about the nitrogen cycle and other reality checks of fishkeeping the hard way -- Avalon's sticky should help explain that and encourage people to start off right so they can enjoy it. Bigger is better, especially for new aquarists. It's easier to start with a 20 or larger.

You go, Avalon! :)

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
I agree that bigger is better but I also agree with echo that 10 gallon tanks can be worthwhile and don't necessarily have to be a quarantine or betta tank. I kept a 10 gallon for 2 years without any problems. Yes, I did have to do water changes more often than I do now with my 26 gallon, but I think that it was worth it because the tank was beautiful. It sat on my entertainment center and was the focal point of the room. That tank is now owned by my 16 year old brother and now has neon gravel, plants and decorations but he loves it. I helped him stock it with some guppies, two dwarf gourami's and an otto and he does regular water changes. So I think that 10 gallon aquariums can make a beautiful addition to any household as long as it is properly maintained. A lot of 'newbies' can't afford to get a bigger tank and sometimes don't want to until they get addicted to the hobby like I did. I started with an eclipse 6, then went to a 10 and now I have a 26 and 2.5 betta tank. I didn't want to start out with a 20 or larger because for one, it's more expensive, and for two, what if I didn't like it or didn't like taking care of it? If someone decides to get a tank for the first time, and gets a "bigger is better" tank like a 20 or even larger, then that is more fish that will die or need to be returned if that person doesn't really like the hobby or doesn't want to take care of the tank. I'm sure that happens more often than we think because there are a lot of fish tanks at garage sales and such for dirt cheap, and these people aren't hobbyists.

Personally, I think that taking care of small tanks has made me a better fishkeeper because I had to be very diligent with water changes, and make sure that I didn't overfeed. I got a little bored with my 26 because I only do water changes twice a week, so I went out and got myself a 2.5 and a betta :)

I think that the best advice to give a newbie would be to research, research, research. And when you think you've researched enough, research some more. I get so irritated with people who don't do any research and then wonder why their fish die! I was at the lfs yesterday and a guy picked out a $20 pacu or something similar (I didn't get a very good look at it), the lfs guy just bagged it up for him without saying a word about it getting very large. Then the guy made a comment about a fish costing $13, and how he'd never pay that much for a fish because it was just going to die. The lfs guy said "um, do you know this fish is $20?" and the guy told him that he didn't want it then because he wasn't paying that much for a stupid fish. Ughhhhh!
So, do your research and pick fish that will work with your tank, depending on what size tank it is.

Nov 3, 2005
'serendipity' tank
MOsborne05 said:
I get so irritated with people who don't do any research and then wonder why their fish die! I was at the lfs yesterday and a guy picked out a $20 pacu or something similar (I didn't get a very good look at it), the lfs guy just bagged it up for him without saying a word about it getting very large. Then the guy made a comment about a fish costing $13, and how he'd never pay that much for a fish because it was just going to die. The lfs guy said "um, do you know this fish is $20?" and the guy told him that he didn't want it then because he wasn't paying that much for a stupid fish. Ughhhhh!
So, do your research and pick fish that will work with your tank, depending on what size tank it is.
muppet at my work sounds similar...killed 3 fish...had no idea...
he'd never even heard of the nitrogen cycle...

poeple should have to do a test and get a licence to own pets...

i've been planning my first tank now for over 3 weeks...
no fish yet...soon though...soon... :)

Sep 8, 2005
My 10 gallon made me buy a 100 gallon. My 55 gal sprang a leak... near the bottom of the tank. Everyone had to move and quick. Everyone went into the only other tank. The 10 gal. While there everyone decided to have babies. By the time the 55 was ready i was exhausted from water changes etc. and there was not enough room in the 55 anymore. So i bought a 100 gal. You couldn't pay me enough money to set up that 10 gal again.

sutty30

Medium Fish
Oct 26, 2005
hi someone said problems are ten times more likely with smaller tanks , they also happen ten times as quick , i agree good thread avalon*thumbsups