Kiddie Pool As Pond????

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
James From Cali said:
Its free if you pick it up, and there is no way for me to pick it up without a car. Its $75 for the delivery fee.

Ok thats a problem. I could have helped you if you were not 2 hours away from where I live and if i had a truck. Well I don't think he even has the tank anymore.

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
James From Cali said:
Yeah, Im still going to be looking around about free 40-55g tanks. I cant have anything bigger.

Keep looking! I look for aquarium stuff on criagslist twice in a day. once in the morning and in the night. Thats how I found my 55 gallon. it was in bad shape though. You will defiently find something look everyday. Sometimes they give it away with fish even. Well good luck on the search.

Jan 13, 2006
Colorado
i have seen kiddie pools used as ponds, hell i have even seen old claw foot bathtubs used (and they looked pretty darn good!!) i have a hard plastic kiddie pool that i got for 10 dollars at a discount store its about 60-70 gallons in size but only about a foot deep, i have been contemplating turning it into a pond for my horid goldfish that someone decided to give me as a gift..grrrrrr. the only thing bad about my kiddie pool is that it is bright yellow and round and the lip is shaped like flower petals!!!! i may just paint it black with some pool paint add on a cheap outdoor filter and some cheap gravel from home depot, i dont think the kiddie pool is a bad idea, just dont get the inflatable kind and you wil be all good.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
"They would look beautiful in a 55 gal!" (make sure to tell your mom that)

I think the kiddie pool idea would work, but:
a. you wouldn't really be able to enjoy them in that
b. unless you have a place to dig a hole and set it up properly, i don't really see having a kiddie pool on your porch being very attactive
c. this will be a PITA to take care of...i think your mom would lose interest quickly.

MissFishy said:
"They would look beautiful in a 55 gal!" (make sure to tell your mom that)

I think the kiddie pool idea would work, but:
a. you wouldn't really be able to enjoy them in that
b. unless you have a place to dig a hole and set it up properly, i don't really see having a kiddie pool on your porch being very attactive
c. this will be a PITA to take care of...i think your mom would lose interest quickly.
My om already lost interest in them. Im the one that takes care of them and she dont even look at them. I am trying to find a proper/better alternative then a 10g tank.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
The kiddie pool is better than a rubbermaid tote... it is shallower with more surface area (more like a pond), and it is designed to hold water for long periods of time. Rubbermaid totes will deform a little and the sides bow out, they aren't entirely stable if you fill them completely with water for long periods of time.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Rubbermaid stock tanks are excellent options for goldfish and ponders use them for anything from quarantine to fry grow out tanks to permanent miniponds. Wading pools do work but they are usually too shallow and the fish are very likely to jump out, filtration can be an issue due to the shallowness and, if it's outside, racoons, herons and others can make very short work of them.

If you mother has already lost interest, now would be a good time to return them to the store or otherwise rehome them. Nothing is worse than an unwanted pet.... :(

MissFishy said:
Return them and tell her they died of too small living quarters...then suggest you take her to the pet store to pick out some new APPROPRIATE fish she could enjoy! :)
I found another one dead. I will try to find her reciept for them but if not I cant return them. On rehoming them, o one wants Goldfish unless they can be used as feeders. I will just do what I think is right when the time comes to it. Thanks for all the info and suggestions.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Most fish stores will take fish for free as well, you don't have to expect money back. I guess it comes down to what those last two lives are worth you you and your mother. Even the big box stores will accept fish for adoption....

An algae bloom is not uncommon in a newly cycling tank. You need to keep on top of the water changes (at least 25% every other day if every day isn't possible). I would add a bit of salt (1 - 2 heaping tablespoons) if you haven't already and keep the salt dose steady when you do water changes. Also, if you have an airpump, definitely put it to use or allow the water to drop just enough to get some filter splash to help with gas transfer.

If the choice is to continue to keep them, there is no reason to expect they will all succomb. You just have to work very hard to avoid that possibility. A friend with a cycled tank could make all the difference in this situation. With only two goldfish, while it is absolutely not ideal, the tank is more likely to cycle properly and they could remain there for a while (so long as you can keep nitrates below 20 - 40 at the most)