Kiddie Pool As Pond????

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Oh, I thought you meant a second fish had died as well, therefore leaving only one left. I still think they could be perfectly happy and content in a 10g for awhile. Just get that tank cycled and keep up with water changes to keep water params in check.

Seleya said:
Most fish stores will take fish for free as well, you don't have to expect money back. I guess it comes down to what those last two lives are worth you you and your mother. Even the big box stores will accept fish for adoption....

An algae bloom is not uncommon in a newly cycling tank. You need to keep on top of the water changes (at least 25% every other day if every day isn't possible). I would add a bit of salt (1 - 2 heaping tablespoons) if you haven't already and keep the salt dose steady when you do water changes. Also, if you have an airpump, definitely put it to use or allow the water to drop just enough to get some filter splash to help with gas transfer.

If the choice is to continue to keep them, there is no reason to expect they will all succomb. You just have to work very hard to avoid that possibility. A friend with a cycled tank could make all the difference in this situation. With only two goldfish, while it is absolutely not ideal, the tank is more likely to cycle properly and they could remain there for a while (so long as you can keep nitrates below 20 - 40 at the most)

They wont take the fish no matter what. Walmart would take them but they are better off with me. My mom will be getting me a 44g Rubbermaid tote for $30 and that means they will have alot more room and it will be there new pond.

usacutie81

Large Fish
Sep 6, 2006
St Louis
Use a wooden one then. Just make sure it's water tight. I'm just not up for the kiddie pool idea, unless it's sunken into the ground. And a rubbermaid is just, well, a rubbermaid. I'd want something that people saw in the yard and thought "what's that?" and went over to look.

nealio

Large Fish
Aug 23, 2006
James, slow it down my brotha... I admire your imagination with the kiddie pool, but I think it would be very hard to control the water parameters in an area that isn't under control.

I wouldn't get a kiddy pool and put it outside in sac. You know how bad sac winters get.

My suggestion... Keep the 10G, get a UFG and run in it reverse. Get a penguin 150 and change the filter three times a month. Keep up with you WC and you will be fine for the interim.

You can find a free tank on craigslist. I did, and so can you. As much time as we spend online, check the postings often. I set up an RSS feed so as soon as the post is online I get an alert, you can do the same thing. If you want some help just pm me.

I live very close to san mateo, I would be happy to pick that tank up for you and deliver it next time I'm in sac if you arrange it with the owner. Keep your eyes open and you will see a tank soon. ;)