young fish had ich, bigger did not? (long)

Aug 5, 2004
houston, texas
Visit site
I had 5 small tetras and 2 small clown loaches die a couple of weeks ago from ich. They died within a week of getting the white spots. I treated immediatly with meds, raised the temp and did 25% water changes every 2 then 3 days for 2 weeks during and after the fish had died. I also have 2 blue & 2 gold gouramis about 3" in size along with 2 Red Dwarf gouramis about 2.5" in size. None of these fish ever had a trace of ich during the time the little ones had it. I want to ad some more loaches to the tank to feed on the snails that are multiplying, but afraid to spend the money on the fish to watch them die again. Would you think that it would be safe to ad new fish to the tank if none of the current fish show signs of ich? It has been a 1 1/2 weeks since the small fish with the ich have died. I am also wondering why the ich did not attack my bigger fish?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
So did all the fish that showed signs of ich die?

Clown loaches are notorious for getting ich. Is your tank large enough for clowns? Some fish are just more suceptible to ich than others. Stress can also cause fish to show signs of ich infection.

Ich is generally always in a tank. If you have treated a tank thouroughly for it, it will be ich-free, but only until you add another fish or a plant.

You can probably add fish, but there is always a possibility of new fish coming with ich, due to stress of shipping/fish store.

By the way, only turn up the temperature if the medicine instructions specifically tell you to. Adding meds and turning up the heat can stress a sick fish and cause it to die.

There is a ton of info about ich here: http://www.caloriesperhour.com/fish/notes_ich.html

I hope this helps :)