Yeast Help

Jul 18, 2011
underwater
I never thought this would happen....I tried to make a DIY CO2 generator for my 20G, but the pressure built up super fast an the yeast got into my tank.
I should have planned this...
Anyways, the water was very murky for the first two days (last weeked), but it's cleared up now. Then, a whitish foam appeared at the surface of the water. I did daily 50% water changes to combat this foam, but it just kept growing back. Finally, I do a 95-97% water change, waited a day, and the foam seemed to disappear.

Now we get to today. First, I filled the tank back up, then went to the petstore and bought 3 silver hatchetfish. I come back, and boom! the foam reappears. Considering I did a huge WC and I have an airstone in the tank, I don't think the yeast is harmful to my fish. It's been around 2-3 hours, and they seem fine.

So, how do I completely get rid of this foam? And, if I decide to make one of those CO2 generators again, how can I make sure the yeast doesn't go into the tank again? I've heard of the bottle method, but I'm not completely sure how it works.

.....In hindsight, I really didn't need CO2 since I have about 0.7 WPG....

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
To really get rid of the yeast, you'll probably have to take the tank apart and rinse the substrate thoroughly (or replace it). The problem is the yeast will take oxygen from the water and may suffocate your fish. You have to get rid of all yeast from the tank before you can safely put fish back in there. It's a major pain, and you'll have to rinse absolutely everything thoroughly.

If you don't need the CO2, then it's probably better not to use it. To prevent it getting in the tank, you should make sure you leave enough room in the bottle (for foam, about 1/3 of the bottle's volume) and that the bottle is below the surface of the water (on the floor, for example).

Jul 18, 2011
underwater
To really get rid of the yeast, you'll probably have to take the tank apart and rinse the substrate thoroughly (or replace it). The problem is the yeast will take oxygen from the water and may suffocate your fish. You have to get rid of all yeast from the tank before you can safely put fish back in there. It's a major pain, and you'll have to rinse absolutely everything thoroughly.

If you don't need the CO2, then it's probably better not to use it. To prevent it getting in the tank, you should make sure you leave enough room in the bottle (for foam, about 1/3 of the bottle's volume) and that the bottle is below the surface of the water (on the floor, for example).
Right now I have 3 silver hatchets in the tank, and there's a lot of foam at the surface, but they are very active. I also have an airstone and aquartic plants (anubias & baby tears) in the tank. Fish don't always die from the mixture spilling in the tank.

Jul 18, 2011
underwater