Would this filter be appropriate for red cherry shrimp?

Grey

Small Fish
Oct 11, 2011
England
Hello,

It seems I've done nothing but ask questions - I do apologize! Heh. Most of them have been regarding an aquarium I have set up in my bedroom that I've been battling with on and off for months, well, this question is regarding the one and the same aquarium! It is roughly 35 litres, packed full of aquatic plants (anubias, christmas moss, java moss, amazon sword plants, java ferns, banana lillies) with a heater and a filter.

It currently houses five juvenile platys (which will be rehomed eventually or moved to the downstairs aquarium) and four apple snails (three ivories, one pink (purple shell + white slug), at least two of which will be moved to the downstairs 86 litre aquarium once it has aged a little, it is completely cycled though).

The gunk has subsided, the bacterial bloom has ended, the plants are growing rapidly (which surprises me considering it is quite low in light compared to other aquariums I've seen) and the inhabitants are looking jolly and eating well. I know the aquarium is ready for red cherry shrimp however I do have a question with regards to the filter.

I had initially intended on using a sponge filter, while the option is still open I've taken a liking to a matured (cycled) filter that I snatched from the downstairs aquarium. It's known as an "Elite Stringray Filter" - I don't know the exact "power number" (there is an Elite Stingray Filter 5, 10 and 15) but it has kept the water clear and keeps water flow at a constant, gentle level. My question is: would it be suitable for red cherry shrimp?

While I don't have the original packaging of the filter to tell you the model number I do have a list of the flow rates available for each one. There are three models: 5, 10 and 15. I do know that the filter I own is either a 10 or a 15 (I'm leaning towards a 15). I'm wondering if the below information will be at all beneficial in telling me if this filter would be suitable for red cherry shrimp.

Elite Stingray 10
Flow rate 200 litres per hour.
For aquariums up to 10 gallons/37.8 litres.

Elite Stingray 15
Flow rate 300 litres per hour.
For aquariums up to 15 gallons/57 litres.

The description available for it is as follows:

Elite Stingray Filters from Hagen are a quiet, reliable underwater filter that sets up and can be maintained easy. It combines biological, chemical and mechanical filtration to improve water quality all in a compact unit. Complete with zeo-carb and foam filter media and equipped with a convenient flip top cover, cleaning and or media replacement is made easy. Includes multi position directional water flow output. The Elite Stingray is designed to fit into any type and style of aquarium. Fully submersible filter improves water quality and requires little maintenance. Sleek, modern filter design may be suctioned to aquarium glass.

I do not believe the filter contains carbon (re-reading the description has made me wonder though... does anyone know for sure?), I know this is bad for shrimp and other inverts. The snails have had no issues whatsoever with the filter in either the downstairs aquarium or this one.

The filter is extremely quiet, very attractive, compact and easily maintained (which is great for me considering medical issues I have) and I would love to use it if it is suitable for red cherry shrimp. If it isn't I can use the sponge filter I have in a fry tank downstairs instead, but a box filter would be preferable if I can get ahold of one that is suited for red cherry shrimp.

If you need any more information please let me know and I will see what I can do. In the meantime I eagerly await your response and am extremely grateful for any help received. Thank you for your time.

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Usually when a filter refers to having three kinds of filtration (biological, chemical and mechanical) they mean that there is an insert that contains carbon. You don't have to use the carbon part of the insert (I just fill the space with extra sponge). Also make sure the filter intake doesn't have openings big enough for a shrimp to get into - I had to cover even the smallest cracks or my shrimp would get sucked up and I'd find them in the filter box a week later. You can use a piece of mesh cloth to cover the holes but still allow water to flow.

Grey

Small Fish
Oct 11, 2011
England
Thanks for the reply. I'll take the filter out and see if I can find the carbon sponge. I have some other sponges I can use instead.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
i had a stingray! i hated it. maybe i got a dud but while it worked...it just never did a very good job. i like overfiltering though anyways...i had a whisper30 on a 10g :) and ima put a filstar xp1 on my 10g i think...or 2...which is for upward 75g

i have a sponge filter running on the 20g currently, just to get some movement and filtrate some more..nto that sponge filters create movement but blah....of you can go get an old HOB filter and stick a sponge over intake, easy fix and still great filtration and flow!!!