Wild Crayfish

paperdog9

Large Fish
Dec 11, 2009
Your Imagination
I was interested in keeping a wild crayfish, but after research, I'm kind of worried it will eat my other fish. I was just wondering if they would still eat the fish if I introduced them while they are tiny, like pea sized.*GOLDFISH

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
if you cant keep very clean water conditions in your tank, then try not to get a clam/mussel. they will die in anything thats not clean water. I mean your ammonia and nitrite have to be 0 and nitrate should really be below 20ppm.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
Do you think it would work if I used a rubber band or somting to keep they're claws closed, or is that to evil
LOL.. what are your plans exactley? If the crays are smaller then the fish and the fish are not slow movers then they will PROBABLY be ok for a while. If your going with native shiners then you should be ok but it is likely that the crays or the fish will become prey at some point depending on size. I had a greensunfish that would kill any cray I put in the tank. Do me a favor and start one thread outlining your plan. It would be easier to answer all your questions IMO in one thread.

Freshwater clams and mussels can be problematic, I have heard horror stories of them dying and the owner not findong out until all the fish died when the water quality went bad over night.

Bl33dy

Medium Fish
Jun 22, 2008
Vidor, Texas
just for the record, i caught a big bull of a crawfish and put him in my cichlid tank. he caught a few fish and ate them:/ but they got him back! i woke up one morning to find that he had shed his shell and the fish attacked him when he was soft, flipped him over and killed him. i would also not suggest the rubberbands on the claws, because while they have other "feet" they use for eating, they also use their big claws to scavange. all in all, crawfish are neat, lots of fun to watch etc. but i would say unless you wanna have your fish ate up, try to get a little 5gal or something for the crawfish:)