Why do my 2 fantail goldfish just float in the tank????

Itsmel

New Fish
Feb 8, 2016
hi everybody!

I have 1x Blackmoor and 1x Fantail in my biorb 15L, I've had the tank set up since October and the Blackmoor is original to my tank after 6-7week of tank fish less cycle! Got my fantail about 2weeks ago as I felt like my Blackmoor was lonely and always was looking for attention, so got her a friend!
Since adding my fantail they just float around the tank not doing anything or they stare out of the tank at the room constantly, hardly swimming at all apart from when fed and when they go on a mad spurt of swimming for about 1 minute!
I test the water regularly and all is normal and I have never had any problems so am very confused by their behaviour!

If anyone has any advice that would be great!!! Thank you!!!

Attachments

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Odd behavior. Do they seem distressed at all?

The biorbe is pretty small for one goldie, let alone two. Make sure there is enough water flow / agitation to oxygenate the water. Biorbs have a low surface area in general so oxygenation can be a concern. Adding a low light live plant could also help.

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
you're talking about this biorb right?

http://amzn.to/1PzsIB8

just to make sure b/c that's the 15L one and for us in the US..that's like at most 4 gallons maybe? sorry..but if that's correct..it's way too small for even one goldfish since they are big messy eaters and polluters.

how often do you do water changes? and if you can post some specs of your water test that'll help out too. thanks!

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Cute goldies!
You need a standard 29g tank at a minimum for two fancy goldfish. Fancies get the size of a big fist. Old school rule of thumb for fancies is 20g for the first and 10g for EACH additional. If they're floating, they may have swim bladder issues. One of my fancies has a bit of swim bladder issues. We call him Floaty. LOL. FWIW, I have 4 goldfish in a 55g that sees weekly ~80% water changes.

May 11, 2016
hi everybody!

I have 1x Blackmoor and 1x Fantail in my biorb 15L, I've had the tank set up since October and the Blackmoor is original to my tank after 6-7week of tank fish less cycle! Got my fantail about 2weeks ago as I felt like my Blackmoor was lonely and always was looking for attention, so got her a friend!
Since adding my fantail they just float around the tank not doing anything or they stare out of the tank at the room constantly, hardly swimming at all apart from when fed and when they go on a mad spurt of swimming for about 1 minute!
I test the water regularly and all is normal and I have never had any problems so am very confused by their behaviour!

If anyone has any advice that would be great!!! Thank you!!!
It could be swim bladder disorder.Did you goldfish swim upside-down?